Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

GAH. Which Snorlax to run!?

ArmoredMewtwo

Alright, so I've decided to run DarkLax for Roads tomorrow (today, technically), and can't make up my mind on which Snorlax to put in the third slot. I know I'm running at least one of both RR Snorlaxes, but the third slot's getting to me.

Should I run the RR 'Lax with the body that keeps the opponent from retreating, an attack it can use during sleep, and an attack that can either do 80 or 40 + Self Sleep?

Or should I run another Snorlax that can grab energies from the discard for its first attack and potentially put itself and the opposing pokemon to sleep?

I'm leaning towards the prior, simply because of the fact that I'm not running Darkrai G in this deck and because it's a decent attacker, awake or asleep. The second one seems to be more of a late-game return for the Level X...

Use 3 common Snorlax and the Lv.X. Common Snorlax is way better than the rare one.
Early game, there's no question about that. Late game, however, Rare Snorlax's synergy with the Level X is phenominal.

Once again, though, if I were running DarkLax with Darkrai G, the third slot would be no contest and the Rare Snorlax would get it. However, because I am not, then it's a fifty fifty again. Most people will agree with your point, but I say it's situational simply for the late-game factor.

The "phenomenal synergie" gives you two 40dmg & 20 heal attacks for 4 nrgs.
You call that phenomenal?

The "phenomenal synergie" gives you two 40dmg & 20 heal attacks for 4 nrgs.
You call that phenomenal?

Where do you see just 40dmg & 20 heal from Snorlax RR33? I see Exercise doing 80 damage for 4, with a healing option that synergizes with Pick and Collect to ensure at least 4 Energy in hand. I also see Pick and Collect making it much easier to set up that 4 Energy attack in the first place.

Of course, the other Snorlax RR synergizes much more cleanly with Snorlax Lv X. Not only does Pick and Collect run counter to Big Appetite's draw power, Toss and Turn allows a convenient early set-up attack that works with Big Appetite. Also, Bad Sleeping Habits can work very nicely alongside Big Appetite, potentially forcing opponents to use Warp Points and/or Poké Turns before they wanted to. Heck, as long as you have an easy way to wake up Snorlax regularly (read Poké-Healer+ and/or Recover Energy,) that synergy should last you a long while.

On the whole, I agree that 3 Common Snorlax is superior to any combination with the Rare one.

^well, it is 80 damage and 40 heal, but then you have to use an attack that does nothing the next turn, so that 80 and 40 heal turns into basically a 40 and 20 heal fro 2 turns... which is an epic fail for 4 energy.

^well, it is 80 damage and 40 heal, but then you have to use an attack that does nothing the next turn, so that 80 and 40 heal turns into basically a 40 and 20 heal fro 2 turns... which is an epic fail for 4 energy.

Yeah, but if you're playing with that Rare Snorlax, you're presumably using Pick and Collect while you're on the way to getting the 4 Energy (when you have nothing better to do anyway,) rather than once you have it. So, it's a bit misleading to spread the damage/healing across both attacks. In my opinion, at least.

The first 4 turns should look like this -

T1- Attach to Snorlax, get out a Bronzor or two, and some Staryus/chansey/nidoran f

T2 - Attach to Snorlax, Level up, evolve to bronzong/starmie/blissey/nidoqueen - use common snorlax's attack for 50 after you put yourself to sleep with the power

T3- basically same as T2, the hardest part is staying alive

T4 - this is when the game begins, you should have 10-12 energy in your hand from bronzong/starmie - use exercise to heal everything off and continue this process until you win

basically, the rare snorlax is terrible - except for late game when you shouldnt even have 4 energy in your discard thanks to starmies/nm

*runs DarkLax and has too many techs, anyway* <_<;;

Either way, went 2-2 at BR. The other Snorlax deck didn't do much better, I think going 1-3, running 3 rare Snorlax and using the Bronzong/Wigglytuff strategy.

Yea, I wouldn't expect much more than 2-2 or 3-2 from this deck just based off matchups alone. Machamp is a near autoloss, gengar is a near autoloss, kingdra is probably close to an autoloss if they run PP's. Basically every deck in the format has this covered.

Yea, I wouldn't expect much more than 2-2 or 3-2 from this deck just based off matchups alone. Machamp is a near autoloss, gengar is a near autoloss, kingdra is probably close to an autoloss if they run PP's. Basically every deck in the format has this covered.

Machamp I can understand, but where on God's green Earth are you getting Gengar and Kingdra being Autoloss?

Since I'm running DarkLax, I think the Gengar situation isn't nearly as bad as you're making it sound. In fact, Gengar has problems against my deck. As for Kingdra... Didn't give me a problem. At all. Machamp and the Hippo (and a lone Lucario GL Tech) were what gave me some serious problems, and the Machamp wasn't even a tournament loss.

Try teching in 1-2 Munchlax in addition to your Unown G for your Machamp/Hippowdon matchup. That way, your Snorlax isn't a Basic Pokémon. Bubble Coat might be a reasonable tech, too, if Pokémon Contest Hall is used in your area (or if you use it yourself). Sand Reset is a killer on these high-Energy decks, though. I'd just have to hope your Weavile is ready to act, then.

Try teching in 1-2 Munchlax in addition to your Unown G for your Machamp/Hippowdon matchup. That way, your Snorlax isn't a Basic Pokémon. Bubble Coat might be a reasonable tech, too, if Pokémon Contest Hall is used in your area (or if you use it yourself). Sand Reset is a killer on these high-Energy decks, though. I'd just have to hope your Weavile is ready to act, then.

I already have two. They help, but not so much against weakness... The Bubblecoat is just... Bubblecoat. I really don't know if I have a slot to waste on that. Weavile's actually my best defense against Hippowdon simply because it's a water type by default and, if nothing else, I could just hit them with Chip-Off and take advantage of weakness (double if it's X'd up). Two hits and the wicked hippo dies, which is convenient since I normally have two Weavile out at a time.

Machamp's still the match to beat for this thing. I'm starting to regret not running Shu-DONK or Darkrai/Darkrai G, as compared to this they can at least deal rather consistent damage. Not necessarilyheavy, but consistent.

Basically anything that can get setup T1-T2 and can consistently swarm will have a great matchup against Snorlax. That includes Gengar (who also can bring down Snorlax in one coin flip) and Kingdra (who can hit the bench).

Basically anything that can get setup T1-T2 and can consistently swarm will have a great matchup against Snorlax. That includes Gengar (who also can bring down Snorlax in one coin flip) and Kingdra (who can hit the bench).

Once again, beg to differ. Kingdra, despite being able to hit the bench, just can't stand up to a proper Snorlax build which constantly heals. Gengar... Well, I'm shocked you didn't bring up the obvious counter to Snorlax, being that of resistance. Even then, that would be faulty against DarkLax.

You seem to be familiar only with the type of Snorlax deck that can't get itself set up before getting the living crap beaten out of its main attacker. Unfortunately, with this narrow-sighted view, you have no willingness to give other types of Snorlax decks a try (DarkLax in particular, which is rather fast).

I don't see how snorlax can be used in a deck that doesnt focus mainly on healing over speed since it tops out at 80 damage and needs 4 energy to attack. So from that perspective, yes I am narrow minded ;x

Back