Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Garch's Cities report: Senior Shenanigins

Garch

<a href="http://pokegym.net/forums/showpost.php?p=
(Note: It's my brother who's in seniors, not me)

Pre tournament:
I was so unprepared it wasn’t funny. I had an untested luxchomp list and no time to test it. I’d played luxchomp for the past couple of months, but this was a new list. Then we decide, since there are no (good) seniors, to throw my youngest brother (who doesn’t play) into the fray, to see if we can’t score some easy stuff. So I have to build him a deck. I decide on Shuppet. How hard can it be to learn a donk deck?...

We get there about 30 minutes before the tournament starts and register. We try to teach my youngest bro the ropes of his deck, and he seems to get it. Chat with some friends, then check the roster. 13 masters, 2 seniors. T_T Good thing we brought my bro. Then pairings go up.

Round one:
Kenton A. (Luxchomp) Vs. Joseph M. (Kingdra)

I have a good opening hand and have to decide: Start with Sableye, or Luxray? I have call energy, and Cyrus, so I don’t really need Sableye. I opt to start with Luxray. He goes first, leads with lone horsea UL. Attach, beat for 10. Me: Cyrus, game.

Lol, game one donk, now I get to wander around, waiting for the next round to start. My younger brother (playing Gyarados, also in masters) is doing well, but my youngest bro is losing to the other senior, who is playing Blastoise/gator. Must have failed to donk him. As expected, Gyarados wins, and Shuppet loses. Oh well, he still gets second, right?...

Round two:
Kenton A. (Luxchomp) Vs. Koden T. (Gyarados)

Wait, what? He lost… I’m paired down round two. Okay then.

He has a bad start. He starts with 3 karp. On the field. I get an OK start with Lucario GL as only basic and call energy. I get a Luxray and Garchomp waiting. He uses bebe’s to get his first Gyarados... And they’re both prized. Along with the fourth karp. He snags a dos, but since the rest of his karp are on the field he can’t hit me. I doge around the karps with Bright look so he won’t get to hit me, and take out his uxie. Then he drops Super scoop up. Twice. With three junk arm. He hits two heads and grabs karp and Azelf, getting his last karp from prizes, regi move, belt, no more Garchomp. I retaliate with bat trash bolt, dual prize. He gets another dos, but it goes down easy, and I take the rest of the game.

Seniors bro (what a name. T_T) gets a bye. According to him, it was his favorite game of the day. Well then. Gyarados loses to TyraniPlume (my next opponent). Guess it’s up to me to win. One game goes to a two-two prize tie, with neither side being able to take it fast. One finally gets it with triple bat Blaziken FB jet shoot to the Garchomp C, and the next round can begin.

Round three:
Kenton A (Luxchomp) VS. Shane B. (Tyranitar prime/ Vileplume/ Umbreon)

I hate vileplume. Hate it. I start with Luxray, call, and zong g. He doesn’t lead with Tomb, and I go second. I get to use my one trainer for the game, an energy gain, and call in another Luxray and a Garchomp. Then he gets a tomb. Which gets a plume (See that? It rhymes). And I get no more trainers all game. Playing against this deck is like a fun puzzle. Trying to figure out how to take six prizes with limited energy was a fun, puzzle like challenge. Between Garchomp taking down all pupitars and luxray taking a few prizes, it was easy to keep it from setting up. For a while. Then comes the Umbreon. Both my chomp and ray are leveled up. And I can’t play turn. So seeker saves the day. I take out one Umbreon with a Chomp, which goes down to the NEXT Umbreon. Now I have free bench space, and get rid of the Umbreon with luxray. I end the game, as (almost) always, with dragon rush, the best attack ever.

Yay, I’m 3-0. Shuppet loses to a master (sablelock) and Gyarados beats Lanturn/Staryu. That’s all he saw, though. It was a fast game. The next round comes up fast, since my game took me almost to time.

Round four:
Kenton A. (Luxchomp) Vs. Joseph G (Typhlosion/Ninetails)

I open with lone Garchomp to his two Dragonite FB. He goes first and attaches a fire, reminding me that his deck is Typhlosion. I know I need to get out my Umbreon, as there’s no way I could take on a Typhlosion with just SP’s. It takes me a while to get 3 energy on chomp, so I stall with a Lux X to take a hit from his Dragonite. I use a bebe’s search to get my eevee or Umbreon, but they’re BOTH PRIZED. T_T. I get Azelf, netting eevee, I poke turn and take out his three energy D-nite for the Umbreon prize.. He sends in the other Dragonite to stall, which I take out. He gets two Typhlosion set up (since I don’t have a spray for his uxie) and starts using after burner to set up. So I send in the tank. Umbreon stalls while he tries to get something to hit it. He does 20 to it with a vulpix while setting up a quilava on the bench by attaching two energy (and two damage) to it. I retreat to lux, level up, and flash impact the no-power-body quilava away. With nothing left to do decent damage to Umbreon, it’s over. After taking out a few more things and stalling with Umbreon, I end it with Dragon Rush, 6-0.

After I’m done, Gyarados informs me he beat another dos in a great game, and that shuppet is still in a game. It’s about 25 minutes into the round, so I head over to see what’s up. Shuppet is ahead… 1-0!?!? How??? The deck he’s against is a deck out deck, using Weavile/seeker/Jirachi detour to discard 2 cards a turn. However, it doesn’t have a good way to take prizes. Two shuppets, pokemon rescue, and belt are in the discard, leaving shuppet with nothing. Fortunately, time is called, and Weavile can’t take a prize. Shuppet wins on time out taking on prize. Whaat. The way it worked, Weavile requires the player to go fast and deck out. My bro, being new, played to slow for the strategy to work. He couldn’t be rushed, cause he didn’t know what to do. Strategic incompetence, for the win?

Since swiss is over the senior standings are announced… AND MY BROTHER WINS!?!?!? It turns out his resistance was better than the other seniors, even though he lost to him. And resistance comes before head to head. Well then. He doesn’t care about the stuff, so we get his 18 packs and playmat. He likes the metal, though. Gyarados gets 4th and 4 packs.

As usual, I’m in top cut. The challenger is my round 3 opponent, with Viletar. We get started quickly.

Top cut
Kenton A (Luxchomp) Vs. Shane B. (Tyranitar prime/ Vileplume/ Umbreon)

Game one:

Unfortunately, the 3 games are blurred in my memory. The first game, I stop him from setting up a vileplume, and luxray around his tomb a lot. Getting to play trainers helps a ton here. Between Garchomp and Luxray, I keep him from setting up. He gets a t-tar, but it’s too late, and I dragon rush the game.

Game two:

I get a slow start here. The key to the other games was my getting ahead before he got a t-tar. Unfortunately, he gets one AND a plume before I take a prize. I pull a quick lead, by earthquaking an Umbreon and taking out a few other things. Unfortunately, the EQ’s come back to bite me. Between them and darkness howl he takes down a couple of non-sp benches. I stay ahead all game, getting down to 1 to 2 prizes, but I don’t top the DCE when I need it, and lose, 1-0.

Game three:

I get an early lead and take out an early gloom. Unfortunately for him his other gloom is prized, and he can’t get a plume. I get down to 3-0, and the puzzle begins. Taking the last three prizes is a problem. He has a t-tar prime with t spec darks and a DCE, ready to swing. He’ll counter any prize I take with a prizes for him, and I don’t have something for the 3rd prize. I have the luxray and Garchomp to get two prizes, but the third is the trick. I take the first one with luxray… And top another chomp. I dragon rush, he smashes the chomp, and I Aaron’s collection for the win. With dragon rush.

Yay, I win again! Overall haul: 40 packs, two playmats and two medals. For one cities, that’s a nice pile. :cool:

Props:
Dragon rush
Youngest brother grudgingly playing and winning more stuff
Umbreon
Beef Jerky
Cool medals and playmats
Pulling alph lithograph

Slops:
Twins being useless, because I was never behind.

And I like putting my list at the end of a report, so here it is:

Pokemon: 21
2X Garchomp C Lv.X
2X Garchomp C
2X Luxray GL Lv.X
2X Luxray GL
1X Uxie Lv.X
2X Uxie
1X Umbreon
1X Eevee
2X Crobat G
2X Sableye
1X Lucario GL
1X Bronzong G
1X Azelf
1X Unown Q

T/S/S: 27
4X Cyrus’s Conspiracy
4X Energy Gain
4X Poke Turn
3X Power Spray
2X Bebe’s Search
2X Aaron’s Collection
2X SP Radar
2X Energy Exchanger
1X Pokemon Collector
1X Seeker
1X Twins (unused)
1X VS Seeker

Energy: 12
4X Double Colorless
3X Call
3X Lighting
2X Dark

Thanks for reading!

GG, I was the Viletar user. I plan on posting up my report soon. But I think you hit our matches right on the head.

great job, Kenton...

(but do I tell you that playmats were not supposed to be tied to winning the event???) :eek:

Back