Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

General Game Play: Cutting the Deck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Windjet

I apologize if these questions have been addressed previously, but I was unable to find the answers.

The questions that I have are: Is there a minimum requirement as to how many cards are needed to be taken from the top of ones deck and then replaced at the bottom of the deck for any deck cutting within the game, i.e. after shuffling your deck then offering your deck to your opponent for the cut, or at the start of the game. Also, if your opponent declines to cut, may you then cut it yourself and if so is there a minimum number required for that cut as well. Also, just for clarification, if your opponent cuts your deck into multiple piles and then puts your deck back together, either randomly or so there is only one pile that has been placed in a different area, even if it came from the middle of you deck, is this considered cutting your deck or shuffling you deck. My last question is, if your opponent shuffles your deck and you decided to cut it afterwards is there a minimum number pertaining to this cut as well.

The standard that I used, thinking that it was the rule, was the minimum cut was 3 cards, because it made sense to me that 1 card was considered placement instead, but then someone challenged me on that saying that there has not been a set minimum so I decided to "Ask the Masters" on this issue.

Thank you for the work that all of you do.

Windjet
David B.
Utah

Last edited:
I break it down like this:

1. Shuffle your deck. (It doesn't matter if you multi-cut it, shuffle, etc...it should be random at the end.)
2. Offer it to your opponent.
3. Your opponent cuts it a single time, or declines to cut it, giving it back to you.
4. You play.

If your opponent chooses to cut your deck more than once, or decides to shuffle it, he or she may do so. Afterward, you receive the deck - you may cut it a single time, or decline to cut it, before you start play. You may not shuffle it again at that time.

This is also covered in the 2006-2007 Tournament Rules under "7. Shuffling", from our website.

Thanks for your question!

Jimmer did not address the "minimum" amount of cards to be considered a legal cut, but it is 1. Any cut of from 1 to 59 cards would be OK.

BDS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back