Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Gengar SF still viable?

espeon1

Is the Stormfront Gengar still useable OUTSIDE OF VILEGAR?

I want to use something more old school for a CC, and saw my old Mother Gengar list in my binder, so I was thinking of making some format changes and playing that. Has anyone done any testing with this sort of deck against the newer ones like Luxchomp, Gyarados, and Vilegar?

My fren plays a kingdra/gengar variant that performs quite decently against most of the meta. The idea is to go for cheap prizes via shadow room/splash spray on pixies and crobats while walling with gengar, forcing them to flip when they knock you out. Alternatively, you can spread via splash spray/compound pain or disrupt using gengar prime.

However, the main problem this deck faces is vilegar counters. As vilegar is a deck that has been gaining loads of popularity nowadays, more and more ppl are coming up with ways to bypass fainitng spell, such as uxie restore, skunktank poison, etc. This will be your main prob as you wouldnt be able to ensure u stay ahead in the prize trade without ur fainting spell.

^ were you at the henderson cc's? i saw a guy with a kingdra/gengar

and on topic: my friend runs gengar/gallade 4, and it's extremely consistent

Last edited:
i ran gengar with metagross SV for a couple cities this season, bubbling out of top cut at both of them. I lost 2 out of 5 vilegar games i played (it's huge in cali), 1 due to a terrible opening hand and the other due to missing a key fainting spell flip (go try and figure out that one lol). It's a fun deck and has an awesome gyarados matchup if you learn how to play it right. I beat 2 luxchomps with it too!

Gengar Sf is definitely still viable, Outside out vilegar it is still an almost broken card, You can go GenChomp or Crobat G, Poketurns and Junk Arm to get kills on Pixies, Smeargles, Other Crobat G's, also heads on Feinting Spell will always keep you up in prize cards. Even without Spiritomb and Vileplume, you can still Poltergeist for 60+ damage a turn if you can't get a shadow room KO, tech in a gengar Prime and you just made your Gyarados match up from Even to Favorable, Machamp is almost an autowin. Personally I like Gengar Variants over Vilegar anyday.

Yeah in the two Cali cities I went to turboGar (with 3-4 bats, poketurn, junk arm, draw trainers, etc) was almost as popular as vilegar. It still super popular, has great matchups across the board, and realistically only has a bad pseudo mirror match against vilegar, lol. I even got donked by one! You never even have to directly attack huge hp pokemon to win the game, take a bunch of cheap prizes by sniping the bench and if you can get 1-2 heads on feinting spell you're practicaly guaranteed to win the game.

Feinting Spell has a way of turning bad matchups into favorable ones, lololol

If you're lucky with rare candies, GeChamp (couple of Champs thrown in) is a pretty good metagame counter right now. Straight Gengar + Bats tends to have a lot of trouble with DialgaChomp

Back