Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Gengar taked Wellington, FL CC

davechri

We went to South Florida this past weekend to play in two CCs - the first in Pembroke Pines and the second in Wellington (West Palm Beach).

I was playing a Gengar/Shedinja/Fossil deck.

On Saturday night, BK Minnis held the CC at a Ruby Tuesday's patio at Pembroke Lakes Mall. The location worked out pretty good. Here's how things went.

I don't recall the details, but I ended up going 2-3. I learned a lot about this deck and decided (a) I didn't have enough fossils (I was playing only 4) and (b) I needed a little more in the way of switching out Pokemon. And I decided I needed a lot less energy. So I went back and made some changes. Here's what I ended up playing on Sunday at Wellington.

Pokemon (18)
2 Dunsarce (Sandstorm)
3 Nincada (Dragon)
2 Shedinja (Dragon)
1 Ninjask (Dragon, Loose Shell)
4 Gastly (Skyridge)
3 Haunter (Skyridge)
3 Gengar (Skyridge)

Trainers (28)
4 Switch
1 Pokemon Park
1 Potion
2 Poke Ball
3 Warp Point
2 Mr. Briney's Compassion
2 Prof. Elm's Training Method
1 Bill's Maintenance
3 Prof. Oak's Research
4 Root Fossil
4 Claw Fossil
1 Pokemon Fan Club

Energy (14)
12 Psychic Energy
2 Warp Energy

The idea is basic hit-and-run, hiding behind either a Fossil or Shedinja (the decision based on whatever my opponent has that can whack me).

A couple of things...

- Potion - It's in there to pull damage off Shedinja (or to pull 20 damage of Ninjask if he's got 40 before
evolving to Shedinja)

- Pokemon Park - Tech against Ampharos EX. I put a lot of energy on Shedinja specifically for
retreating. Taking 10 a pop can hurt, especially if you've only got 30 HP to start with.

- Ninjask - Hit and run also, but can also pull Shedinja out of your deck.

The idea is to get 1 Gengar out and powered (just 3 energy), 1 Shedinja, and a couple of Fossils (always keeping one on the bench so if my opponent Warp Points my active Fossil, I'll just give him another Fossil). Plus, the low energy on my side makes it difficult for Gardy to even kill a Fossil.

Pretty straight forward. Here's how it went...

Game 1 - Shawn (with Wailord/Wailord EX/Sharpedo)
Interesting deck. We both started off REALLY slow. He couldn't get energy and I couldn't get Pokemon. Once we got rolling, it was very tight. His "rough skin" was causing problems for my Gengar and I was glad I had the Potion in my deck. Time was called and I was ahead by 2 prizes and had just 2 cards left in my deck. Whew!

Score - 3-0

Game 2 - Heidi Craig (Gardevoir/Gardevoir EX)
My deck was built as an anit-Gardevoir deck. Gardy is weak to it, I'm not weak to Gardy. Gardy can't hurt what Gardy can't hit. I started off strong, getting Gengar out pretty quick and hiding behind fossils, but Heidi is a great player. She hung tough, which is really hard when your opponent is totally playing your weakness. Gengar doing 80 damage a pop, then moving out of harms way just proved to be too much.

Score - 6-0

Game 3 - Patrick (Gardevoir/Gardevoir EX)
Patrick and I were going to play the night before, but the pairing got changed because the TO was trying to keep opponents in the same age groups. Not so today. I knew Patrick was playing Gardy and he was well aware of the problems he would have with Gengar. Again, it's really hard to play against your weakness and Gengar just kept hitting for 80 a pop. Patrick's a good guy and he did great in this tournament, except for this game.

Score - 9-0

Game 4 - Ron Roby (Gardevoir/Gardevoir EX)
I had watch Ron and John Silvestro playing and I was pulling for Ron for two reasons. One, he was playing Gardy and I liked my chances against it. Two, John Silvestro has totally demolished me every time we've played. I've never even gone beyond 8 turns with this guy. He must think I'm some kind of a Poke-Idiot or something. As it turned out, I got the matchup I wanted, but I know Ron's a tremendous player and, even though I had an advantage in the matchup, if anybody could pull it out it would be Ron. As it turned out, I got off to a great start with a couple of fossils, Gastly, and a Haunter in my hand. I was able to draw the Gengar on the next turn and, within 3 turns, I had Gengar coming out dealing 80 damage a pop against Wynauts, Wobbuffets, and Kirlias/Gardevoirs. The weakness mismatch was too great and Ron extended his hand to concede me the victory

Score - 12-0

Due to the low turnout, the tournament was limited to 4 rounds and I ended up on top.

I felt VERY lucky that I ran into so many Gardevoir decks. I expected to see an Ampharos deck (which is why I had the Pokemon Park teched in), but it didn't happen.

Certainly this deck does well against Gardy, but it's still untested against BAR and Amphy. I'd like to give it a shot and see what happens.

Thanks to Khym and his people who ran a good tournament.
Thanks to Chris and everyone else for doing a great job judging.

See you at States!

Why is it every time I think babyporter's dead, it comes back in some new form? ;)

Good report. I look forward to hearing more.

I was just creating a similar deck.
My kid thinks I am crazy.
I was gonna do fooosils, gengar,rayquazza

you have given me hope!

thanks

Back