Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Getting into the competitive scene

RevYolution

Hey all,

I have played the vg since red and blue and have always enjoyed the game. With Black and White 2 coming out I am really wanting to get into the competitive scene. My question is what is the best way to do this. I know generally how to build a good team and how to ev train. I am just wondering if there are any poke that I should focus on getting with specific stats.

Best way to learn the competitive field are three things:

Find a "core" strategy. Focus on what it is you want your team to do.
Check for move sets that compliment that strategy among the Pokemon your selecting to use.
Start with a Pokemon's base stats to build upon to unite those Pokemon so they do not get "over built".

For #1- Rain Dance team as example for a strategy.
For #2- Make sure of moves that assist verse hinder your own strategy. You do not want to risk possible "threats" to your Pokemon in double battles. Like, without Hail in play, Ice Bean could be the better choice if your really needing to hit for being dead on, with Blizzard you could miss and lose a supporting Pokemon on the opponents retaliation attack.
For #3- Building a Pokemon is one thing, if you accidently over build you could end up with a Pokemon that has say for example a higher speed stat then you need, so if you look at the base stats, youll see how much of a difference there is for just in case.

I was thinking about doing a rain team with politoad. I think I want to do rotom w tornadus and jellicent. But unsure of the last few poke any suggestions?

Think about what might not be afraid of your current lineup (pokemon like Tyranitar, Blissey, and Jolteon, for example) and find things that cooperate with your current team, but are able to deal with those problems.

You do have a very strong emphasis on Special attacks, and it's usually nice to have some of both types of attacks just so you aren't walled by anything too badly.

Just a note if you want to play in VGC. have Pokemon with Taunt and Safeguard. It will save you hassle in the long run.

Good question. A few suggestions for you:

-The best way is to go to an event and socialize. Quite honestly, until you really get to know people on the VGC scene, it is hard to pick up.
-secondly, practice. GBU doubles is a great way to get your feet wet and learn the metagame. Also, skarmbliss VGC on Pokemon online is a simulator server dedicated to VGC battling.
-finally, forums! Do what you're doing here. Discuss with others openly, toss ideas around, and soak in what you can from what others post.

I started playing in June 2011, and since then have won 2 regionals and finished 7th at nationals. You can get right in and get going, just be honest with yourself, understand that you will have a lot to learn, and hard work and training is needed to improve. It doesn't happen magically. Posting here is a good start to figuring out where to go, hopefully I was able to help point you in the right direction :)

So as an aside I have started to build my team around a drizzle politoad that I traded for how can I tell if it has been cheated or how can I tell if my game card would pass for competition? Or if breed and I get the drizzle ability will it pass a check for competition?

Last edited:
If you've hatched the egg yourself, you can be sure the Pokemon is legit and will pass hack check. This works even if the parents wouldn't pass hack check. The big exception is unreleased dreamworld abilities. Those can be passed down to a baby from an illegal Pokemon and wouldn't be legal in competition. Another exception is illegal egg move combinations. If the parent Pokemon know a move combination they shouldn't, they may pass down an illegal combination (like Beat Up and Encore on the same Whimsicott).

Back