Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Gex: Enter el Cheapo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Otaku

I am trying to get a better unerstanding of Gardevoir ex decks. So I have built one and am trying to figure out if I am doing it right. I am winning, but I need to know if I have buggered it up that badly or if it actually is working as well as it can for me. I really need to know by Tuesday night... I have always been a quirky deck builder. This leads me to sometimes discover a few cool things by accident, or to ruin a sure thing, so please let me know what you would change and why.

17 POKÉMON
3 Dunsparce SS
2 Gardevoir RS
2 Gardevoir ex SS
2 Kirlia RS1
2 Marill SS
4 Ralts RS2
2 Solrock SS

21 TRAINERS
4 Copycat
2 Power Charge
4 Professor Oak's Research
3 Pokemon Nurse
2 Rare Candy
3 Star Piece
2 Switch
1 Town Volunteers
2 Warp Point

20 ENERGY
4 Boost Energy
4 Multi Energy
12 Psychic Energy

You know the routine: get Gex, power up, and annihilate the competition.

Last edited:
Thanks, but I have a few questions/statements

SwampertEX: I have made and run a few different decks, one of which was posted here maybe one or two months ago. This is for research: I don't have these cards, so even if I wanted to run this deck (and I don't), I couldn't be playing it in a tournament. No such card as Energy Recylce Stadium exists: there are two Energy manipulating stadiums, and neither affect SPecial Energies, the purpose of the Power Charges.

Sneaselsrevenge: Why? I have Solrock for pure draw (you'd be suprised how much I can use Cosmic Draw) and for Fighting TecH. Gex eats other Pokemon ex.

Venusaur: Wynuat and Ffet together are a thought... but then, as I said Ilose my wonjderful Fighting tech, which sometimes gets more prizes than Gex. Still, I like how you kept up my basic count. PFC seems a waste: either Wynaut will do Dunsparce's job before evolving, or I probably should leave it as is. I also don't want to bump up my supporter count any higher. Rare Candied Gex get eaten by Omastar, and its harder to get the "combo" together than by using Kirlia, which can come up one turn, be evolved, then I can Copycat or the like for Gex... with Rare Candy, I need an RC and Gex at the same time. Star Piece works well for me. I usuallly have a Gardy by turn 3. Power Charge reclaims Multi and Boost. Boost is a Godsend for this deck. If you don';t know how to use Warp point correctly, you're in trouble. With no real trainer disruption, Switch < Warp Energy. Why waste my attachment on it? SOme of your suggestions seemed really good, and I will tyr them.

Thank you for your replies.

Talk what you know Grasshopper Otaku, not what you think. It's not good for you whenyou're not used to it. Energy Recycle SYSTEM is in Dragons. I'll have a Spoiler up later.

SwampertEX said:
Can't Ne1 but me make a non-Gardy deck!!! Anyway, instead of Power Charge, use Energy Recycle System.

I can... and have. I don't play Gardy that much... I play Blaziken... it's really good.
So umm yeah, many people can make something besides Gardevoir... so don't get so excited.

I'd replace the Solrock for wobbuffet and dunsparce for wobbuffet (same numbers) and find a way to get them to like 3/4.. (Wynaut and Wobbuffet)

Venusaur: Suprisingly, I see a lot of Linoone and Delcatty. While not the "staples" they were exepected to be (of course, that was for a Nintendo only environment), they are still in a significant number of decks. I actually have faced a Dark/Psychic deck before, so for me, it would matter, wouldn't it? In fact, said deck has made me consider a Dark Deck... if you look, you'd be surprised at the amount of Fighting Weakness out there. There are Electric and Dark decks, they just aren't mainstream. Usually Gex can crush them... which is what some players want, as they are really just bait to get Gex out in the open pre-maturely.
There are enough supporters in the deck already, hence why I used Dunsparce to being with. As for Wynaut... if I run Ffet, I run it, and vice versa. The sale is already made. ;) This also gives me a decent Pokemon base so I don't set up a OHKO win. If I run 4 RC and 6 Gardevoir/ex, then I am wasting too much space. I think I would be better off adding a searching Trainer for them so that if I needed, I could also get something else. Rare Candy works well for me, despite my "low" numbers.
If their big attacker is up, I probably am not going to play Warp Point, am I? Notice the real Switches? That's what they are for. Or retreating, since none of my Pokemon have a retreat of more than 2. Losing the energy can hurt, but not enough to cripple my entire game. Oh, and killing Marill and Dunsparce is usually a good idea: they allow a body to stall and/or rebuild, as I have learned when I made the mistake of ignoring them.
As for running low on energy, Warp Point won't help much unless you need a lot of Colorless Energy. This deck needs mostly Psychic, and uses Multi just to help Marril and Solrock, and Boost because its a triple Plus Power for Gardevoir/ex. I also find I have to use Warp to bench my active when I really needed to power something else and just retreat or Switch out.

Apparently, in many ways, we think and play differntly. What works for you works for you, but doesn't work for me (except 'naut/'ffet).

SwamperEX: Look at it this way, if you are the "wise" Master, and I am the "naive" student, then why am I the one who will be armed for a confrontation but you are hoping to scare your opponents off by telling them "I have a gun... that should be arriving in a week or two". =/ Yeah, you call me ignorant for not knowing about a card that is not even out yet. I presume you have a scan of the card, so that you know exactly what it does, right? Even then, since you'll note I need fixes for before this coming Wednesday, even if I could get a copy, it'd be illegal for sanctioned play, right? You also did not tell me what it did. Does that strike you as a good way to help someone? Maybe you were just trying to be funny? Okay, but it seemed a little cruel to me. Oh, I hope you are not a Professor or Teacher: your exams would have to be a nightmare. ;)

"5. sin (1/2pi)=___"
"Um, sir? I think there is a typo on the exam?"
"No that is the question."
"What's a 'sin'?"
"It is is the reading for next course."
"x_x"

;)

Hopefully, the ridiculousness of that conveys how I am feeling. :(

Last edited:
What do you think of this version? Pokemon park comboes well with Gardevoir's power, and Gex should discourage your opponent from relying to heavily on it.

17 POKÉMON
3 Wynaut

2 Gardevoir RS
2 Gardevoir ex SS
3 Kirlia RS1
4 Ralts RS2
3 Wobbuffet SS

23 TRAINERS
3 Copycat
2 Fast ball
3 Juggler
2 Pokemon fan Club
3 Pokemon Nurse
2 Pokemon Park
2 Rare Candy
2 Switch
2 Town Volunteers
2 Warp Point

20 ENERGY
4 Boost Energy
16 Psychic Energy

Actually "sin" is used when dealing with Triganometric Ratios. Sorry if I offended you Otaku, but I saw your name and had to poke some fun at it. Oh, and all cards form Dragons are tourney legal (hence the name EON). Catch ya later Otaku.
-Swampert

SwampertEX said:
Actually "sin" is used when dealing with Triganometric Ratios. Sorry if I offended you Otaku, but I saw your name and had to poke some fun at it. Oh, and all cards form Dragons are tourney legal (hence the name EON). Catch ya later Otaku.
-Swampert
I think you missed the entire point of my illustration. As for the legality of Dragons cards... I confess I may have erred, but since these are from Prereleases, I was uncertain if they were legal for play yet, since technically, they aren't even out. A card was not legal until officially released under WotC.

The sine function is a ratio of the sides of a triangle. It is usually abbrieviated as "sin". The example was to make a point that one should not expect people to know about things they probably won't have seen yet.

Oh, and Energy Recycle System? Why would I use that when it doesn't effect Special Energy cards, the whole reason for using Power Charge? Well, "Master"?

Last edited:
Sorry, my mistake on Energy Recycling System. Oh and I understood the point of your lectures perfectly. I just wanted to keep our wonderful conversation blooming. See ya later! ;)
-Swampert

Last edited:
SwampertEX said:
Sorry, my mistake on Energy Recycling System. Oh and I understood the point of your lectures perfectly. I just wanted to keep our wonderful conversation blooming. See ya later! ;)
-Swampert
Hmm, I think I liked your original version of that post better... ironically, with the new version of the deck, I am considering running it now, as I have plenty of basic energy to worry about now.

Okay, I've been testing godevoir for some time now, my version went 3-1 at the Dragons Prerelease in Portland, losing only to another godevoir deck. Hmmm, I have to look at that pokemon park idea, that sounds interesting. I run potions instead, they're more versatile.

I like to run delcatty's in my version for the extra draw, but it really isn't needed. Once you get set up, most decks can't stop it, and the extra cards in your hand really don't help. Get rid of some of the switching cards though, especially warp point, your opponent will usually throw another form of cannon fodder at you instead. I run warp energy instead, it helps you do extra damage. I would suggest a fourth wynaut, it speeds up the deck even more.

I have to keep this short, but you have most of the strategy down.

One last note, evolve your wynauts, that way you can use boost energy late in the game.

The card says that using the power counts as evolving, so I would take that to mean that Ffet was now an evo. I couldn't find a ruling one way or the other, so that's what we go by.

Yeah there was a ruling on that. WObb is a evo when evolved from Wynuts

Here's the list I used to win last weekends modified tourney at the shack

18 POKÉMON
3 wobby
4 whynaut
3 Gardevoir RS
2 Gardevoir ex SS
3 Kirlia RS1
4 Ralts RS2

23 TRAINERS
4 Oracle
4 Pokenav
4 Professor Oak's Research
3 Rare Candy
2 fan club
4 potion
2 oran berry

18 ENERGY
3 Boost Energy
15 Psychic Energy

I find this list works best for my playing style. I am basically a see who can pound who the fastest type of player. I like speed over heal. With this list I try to get a whynaut active first or second turn. I use whynauts attack to build and evolve ralts to gardy. I also make sure to evolve to wobby before getting KO which removes all damage and buys time. I always build RS gardy 1st so I can start multiple nrg attaching ASAP. Use potion/oran to keep gardyEX clean. I find 6 healing trainers (i use a 2/4 combo of oran/potion) is optimum. I use the oracle/nav after I evolve whynaut. Oracle for rare candy and a gardy or gardy ex, nav the gardy and top deck the rare candy for next turn. I also enjoy dropping a surprise boost late game for extra damage. I find any less than 14 psy nrg hurts this deck.

Last edited:
I don't see why the Solrock should leave, it's solid draw against most of the decks out there and you can power it just as fast as any other with your Gardy, doing a solid 80 damage against any Slaking (or prevo) out there, nothing to sneeze at. Ditch the Marill, why use a staller when you could do something with that kid, people around my parts are using Azurill to get what they want, combined with Wynaut, it'll get you anything from your deck in a jiffy, while still being a deterrent for one turn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back