Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Gino Lombardi interviewd by CardPlayerMagazine

Status
Not open for further replies.

andceo

Hello boys!
An italian very popular magazine interviewed Gino Lombardi just before the Worlds Tournament (after having interviewed many other champions as Steffen From and Tom Roos).
I'll post the english text of the interview so you can discuss about it.
I hope you'll appreciate that!!!

CARD PLAYER MAGAZINE

1) Hello Gino! We are very enthusiastic about interviewing our US Nats Champion, mainly because it’s an ITALIAN. Can you tell us your history? When did you/your family arrive in the US?

My great grandparents came from italy around the very early 1900's. They hailed from the great part of Florence. You know the deal my grandparents had kids and their kids had kids and those kids had kids and here I am still remaining under the family tree! Italy for Life! I am very involved in the Italian culture here in Providence, Rhode Island. I am a member of the Italo Italian All-American Club in Rhode Island. The Italo is a members only club which does partys, has its own bar, has its own restaurent and has various Italian games with its own league at this club. Its sponsers charitys and gives back to the community. You have to be part of Italian descent to be in this club and pay a fee monthly to be a member. These days its very rare to be 100% italian so they changed the rule to you need some italian descent in you.

2) And know let’s talk about Pokémon. How did you perform at the game in the last years? Which are your best results?

I've been playing pokemon for almost 4 years now. I got into the tcg around early 2005. Since then I've won various battle roads, city championships, State Championships, Regional Championships, and more currently have won the 2008 United States National Championships. This national championships wasnt easy. It was the largest event in history containing over 532 players in the Masters division. In 2005 and 2006 I couldnt make Nationals due to not having enough money to go. Last year at nationals I've gotten into the Top 32 and lost. Ive been in worlds 2006 and 2007. In 2006 I got into the top 32 and lost. In 2007 worlds Ive gotten 21st place and missed top 16 on resistance. Just about every tournament I go to win or lose I always seem to top cut no matter what happens. The bottom line is winning nationals has been a dream come true!

3) What can you tell us about the deck you used, Plox? Are you still sure it was the best choice to do?

I believe playing plox was the best choice ive made for nationals. For nationals I playtested various Plox & EmoStar versions. I playtested EmoStar but that deck isnt fun because all you do is dual splash all game literially. My Plox has way more options and is alot faster. Through playtesting Plox vs. EmoStar my plox was a 50-50 matchup vs. EmoStar. Setup and whoever attacked 1st usually determined the winner. My Plox is very different from other plox versions. Other plox versions use dusknoir or blastoise d. I play my deck with a Breeloom, Cresselia, and Jirachi ex teched in the deck. My decks trainers, energy, and some pokemon are different as well as the regular plox version would use. At states and regionals I played my own version of plox but I never playtested them. I got 2nd & 2nd at both events unplaytested. So going into nationals playtested and with superior faster decklist than I used before I felt unstopable!

4) You challenged many of the best players in the world in the tournament. Is there a player you want to mention?

I'd defintely like to mention Colin Moll who I faced in the top 4. He played in my oppinion one of the best rogue decks i've ever seen played before. If I didnt beat him in top 4 I guarentee you he would have been the national champ of the US. He played a Torterra deck with Sceptile and it abused crystal beach and super scoop ups.
I'd also like to mention my boy James Wilson. In the pokemon community you might know him as Muk Man. I know him personally as VA. He is in my oppinion one of the greatest rogue deck builders that will ever play this TCG. That breeloom tech in my nats deck was originally from one of his deck ideas. Without him I probably couldnt have won nationals.

5) What are you feeling before the Worlds tournament? Do you think you can reach an important result this year?

Well in the last 2 world championships the farthest I have made it to is TOP 32 and 21st place. I would like to get a little further this year just to prove to myself that eventually I will progress in the world championship. I mean since i've played pokemon all I have done is progress. One day hopefully in the near future I'll be the champion of the world. In my mind I am but as for right now i'm a king who aint been crowned.

6) How does it feel being an Italian in USA?

It feels good! I'll always represent Italy wherever I go. No matter whatever country im from Italy is #1! Im italian, Im a stallion, and Italys my best friend! Its Geo Baby!!!!

7) What do you like about Italy?

Omg where do I start! The history of Italy going all the way back to when Rome ruled the world. How the italian emperor started the collosuem which is one of the most visited places on the world because of it. I am a christian-catholic so I would love to visit the pope who resides in Rome. The great foods of the country I would die for. Italian food is #1 on almost everyones list of favorite foods. Pizza and any kind of pasta I can eat repeatedly every day. No other country can match Italian Wine. Italy has endless great sites to see of the gorgeous country which tourists go daily to see. The fashion designs of clothing of the italian cultures is remarkable. The people of the country are just the best people in the world. If you dont like italians then we have a serious problem!!!

8) And now, as always in Card Player Magazine, a quiz for the interviewed. Tell me 5 different names of Italian famous cities!

Rome, Milan, Florence, Naples, and Venice. Can I list more?

No Gino, that’s enough. You’re a 100% Italian!

That was really fun to read; he seems like a nice guy. And Providence too! That's right near me (lives exactly in between Boston and Providence).

And he even shares the Last name as me. I think my family pretty much hails from around Naples, down south...oh I forget the names of the small towns. I used to know. Anyway, that's really interesting. Another champion from the NE area. Hope to read more about him in the future.

I thought Florence was in Greece.
Lol.

Don't worry, maybe you'd know better if the Italian name for the city - Firenze - was used instead of the English name Florence. From what I understand, Firenze is the name you use for this city in Denmark, no?

Yay Colin got mentioned....and I played the same deck as Colin at nats...hes just better:p

Nice interviews too!

Go Gino! 1st Place Nats, Semi-Finals Worlds in the same year! No Masters player has done that before! (please correct me if I am wrong)

Props to Ness too! 2 World Championships! No Masters player has done that before! (no need to correct me here)

Well written article. Props to Gino for being so involved with his heritage. Nice to see an unknown side of an Elite level player.

Go Gino! 1st Place Nats, Semi-Finals Worlds in the same year! No Masters player has done that before! (please correct me if I am wrong)

Props to Ness too! 2 World Championships! No Masters player has done that before! (no need to correct me here)

In America, no- from other countries, yes. Yamato, for example.

Don't worry, maybe you'd know better if the Italian name for the city - Firenze - was used instead of the English name Florence. From what I understand, Firenze is the name you use for this city in Denmark, no?

Yes, we use Firenze.

The name "Florence" did not confuse me, i just thought Florence/Firenza was in Greece =P

Firenze is the correct italian name, some important cities are translated and i never understood why...

For example "London" is called "Londra" in Italy and "Paris" is "Parigi"... LOL

Napoli = Naples
Firenze = Florence
Venezia = Venice
Roma = Rome
Milano = Milan
Pordenone = Pordenone

ecc

Dont we say Firenze in Norway to? I didn't know where Florence was untill you said the right word. Oh, and by the way, i'v been in Firenze, ncie city :D
About the article, well written.

Venezia = Venice
Roma = Rome
I believe these are called Venedig and Rom in Danish.

The others are like how you spelled them in Italian.

The only city in Denmark "translated" in English is Copenhagen. It's København in Danish. The "ø" is probably why they changed it when speaking English. ;p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back