Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Ginos Nationals Report!

GinoLombardi21

Alright I go from RI to Philly for my first flight to nats. When we get their they say your stuff will be moved from this plane to the next. Im tellin my buddy edwin maybe we should go to luggage and check it out. We have 5 minutes to catch the shuttle so we skipped that plan. We went Philly to Ohio. We get off the plane and go to are luggage stuff. I have a bad feeling about it and my friend keeps telling me to calm down. Next thing uk my stuff doesnt come out. So i go report my missing bag and she tells me its in philly. It is 1245pm now and we arrive at my hotel and check in at 110. The airport says i will have my stuff no later then 3 pm. 4/5 pm go by and I get my stuff at 5:45. I get my cards and playtest, trade, fooling around. 6pm me, brian jessin, edwin and christian were testing my SD. http://pokegym.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=24673&postid=590#post590 Around 8-9 we went downstairs to play football in the pool. 10-12 We ordered pizzas and playtested. Yea and pumped music tunes off my ipod to those awsome ipod stereoes each room had. 4:15am was me sleepin. I wake up at 710 and leave the hotel room at 815. My friends left earlier becuz they got more sleep and stood inline of registration.

Day 1

Round 1- Flytech
He gets a bad start and I start with Holons Castform. Both bad starters for us. By the time I see flygon d ex on it it has 80 on it from 4 aura spheres. Mew ex copys psychic pulse ftw! Win

Round 2- ?
I really dont remember this match. I do know one thing though. Win

Round 3- Lucario/Lution (Matt Ennotiti)
I mulligan twice. I have roselia and riolu in my hand. He had a bench and active and I dont know what hes playing. So I chose roselia and next thing uk he flips eevee and im going 1st. I had the 1st 3 prizes. I dropped jirachi ex and juiced my warp point early. Umby ex + black cry he did for 4 turns. Which bought him enough time to comeback and I didn't have any Curse Stones. It ended 1-1 both on prizes and him taking the last prize. Good game though. 2-1

Round 4- Lucario/Lution (Chris Bianci)
I know the deck more now. I had my t2 lucario setup. I hit an er2 on a holons pokemon attached to eeveelution ex. I also did Jirachi ex to espy ex with 2 plus powers and 1 stone in play. Win

Round 5- Delta ?
He starts with magenmite and struggles to setup after that. Win

Round 6- Hariyama w/techs (Frankie Durso)
He starts with mew ex active and mew ex benched. I start with gligar. He copys my attack. I retreat and tI roselied one and attached cessation to it. He had no windstorms. My jirachi ex cleaned up. Then after jirachi ex was gone my mew ex cleaned up again. He didnt get hariyama ex out the whole game. 5-1

Round 7- Infernape (TRUK)
I remember this guy from LCQ in 06 where the win for either of us woulda lead to playing in worlds. Hes cool I talk to him on aim and stuff. I beat him and he was looking for redemption. So we start. I take the 1st prize. He takes the 2nd. My mew ex with holons castform on it and plus power takes down the next. We had an answer for each others answer. After I took my 3rd prize. A judge walked by and noticed a card on the floor. One of my prizes fell off the table. We were counting how many pokemon i koed which was 3 and i had 2 prizes. That card was my 3rd prize. Although we were on the edge of the table and ppl walked by bumped into it. Anyway long story short i get a deck check and caution and pull my next 3 prizes. Overall good game but the prize thingy falling off the table was lame. I wished truk luck and whadda u know he goes 7-2 after facing me and makes top 32. I win 6-1

Round 8- Banette (Big Chuck)
Yea i've tested against banette but none like chucks. I remember doing power move for a Fighting energy with holons castform and i was gonna copy banette ex and ohko it and hit er2 on the bench so i have a lock of him not getting setup. Next thing uk he plays crystal beach and i dont have the curse stone in my hand or castaway. He also played buffer peiece im like wow! What a misplay i made too. I couldnt attack and ko it and not to mention i hit the er2 on the bench shuppet. After that it was downhill. Good Game though. 6-2

Round 9- Lucario/Lution (Pooka)
Okay its win or go home. Im expecting a game like the 3rd/4th round close games. He starts with absol ex. I start with riolu im up first. Wild kick=Heads=60 dmg. He goes has nothing and passes. I have curse stone, plus powers, lucario, energy in my hand. I win like a donksack on steriods of him with that bad draw. We played another game for fun and he had the absol start yet again. I won that game too. We started game 3 but we got kicked out. I win 7-2

So its about 8/9pm atm. We went to my room. Ordered dominos pizza, room service ice cream. Watched Hot Fuzz the movie which was hilarious! Pumped music and playtested. Me and Brian found out were in different brackets so if we won every matchup we wouldnt play each other till top 4. He was facing mario 60-40 for him and I was facing a techy Infernape which is a 55-45 in my favor. Next thing uk are good matchups turned into bad matchups. Well its about 12 o clock brian decided to go to bed. I decided ill stay up to at least 2am and grab a red bull/double up on gatorade and a breakfast/power bar w/e in the morning.

Day 2

Top 32- Infernape (Adam Vernola)
Before the match we were talkin about outta everybody we could play why do we have to play each other. If most of you dont know we both got all are stuff stolen at California.

Round 1- He starts with spinda. Im so angry because its the easier ko for me but I couldnt ko it because my hand was horrible. I had the 1 tech psychic energy in my opening hand and didnt have another multi or F. He got 4 heads with spinda and drew 8 cards. Im hoping for a trans or scientist. No cigar. 0-1

Round 2- I had another horrific hand but winnable. He starts wit chimchar and does 10. I start with riolu. I notice his setup and immediately make the decision riolu + 2 plus power + energy. Heads I'll win the game, Tails I'll lose the game. Whadda uk heads. He couldnt setup. 1-1

Round 3- My friends were watching him in the backround. After the round they told me what was in his hand. They said after he did infernape+dre in this round. He had 1 plus power and 2 monferno in his hand. And he top decked holon lass and after that they told me he topdecked celios next turn. I got donked pretty bad. 1-2. I wished him luck and he ended up losing in top 16.

The aftermath. I still had fun and it was my 1st nationals ever. I couldnt go previous years. (I won a Travel award in 06 and still couldnt go). I didnt like origins in general but the pokemon stuff was great as usual. Hopefully OP pulls out of that god awful place but thats just imo. I met lots of cool people that I talk to on aim. Most of all I loved meeting silvestro's and Chuck again as usual. I had a fun football game in the hyatts pool. Sold some pokemon cards and bought some stuff. Their was way to much stuff to remember. Overall I didnt like origins but the pokemon stuff I loved!

Day 3 Monday Morning
Ok around 1/4 am I hung out with tha silvestros and was in the FLR vs. Midwest beef that was going on. It ended about 3:50 am. so after finally about to get a good night sleep from 4 am to at least 1130. About 845 am my friend christian ortiz is banging on my hotel door. I think im dreaming so im passing in and out of sleep. He screams "gino your going to worlds!". I did like a bruce lee front flip out of bed and opened the door. And we went online and Im 12th in North America for the MA snagging the last spot of the premier rating invite. Im am souped as ever. I got dressed and had an awsome funny tasting breakfast and was pysched and estastic the remainder of the day. At 1pm I left for the airport. Got lunch and battle with flint and hung out wit some NY peeps. Me & the jessings flight didnt leave till 555 pm and we were shocked we were on the same flight. We got to philly and we were supposed to leave at 855 and didnt leave philly till 11/12. When i got home i playtested, imied friends, and then went to bed. Woke up at 10am. The on tuesday went to bed at 10pm and woke up at 3 in the afternoon. So I got like 14 hours of sleep.:lol:

Props

T-dog for getting top 4 at nationals and going to worlds yet again!
John Silvestro for getting 3rd Place!!
Me for being 12th in North America and snagging the last spot for premier rating!
Making Top 32
Meeting new people and hanging out wit my friends.
Adam Vernola for getting top 16
Every OP person, judge, staff, volenterr, whoever!
Lots of memories & fun times at this event which I will never forget :(

Slops

Brian for being 13th in North America and missing the last spot for premier rating!
2/4 of my friends making top 32 using lucario sd.
Kevin Benett (Inside Joke)
Origins being garbage
Edwin (Srry u always dissapoint me)

Shout Outz!-
Adam, Bianchi, Big Daddy Snorlax, Bolt, Brett Spaz, Chris Cobi, CHRISBO, Chris Fulop, Chuck, Con, Demarion (Wooper Trainer), Drew, Durso, Edwin, Fire Fighter Joe, Flint, Jimmy Ballard, Jose, Kettler, King Gengar, Kohler, Malec, Marshtomp, MK, Moss, Muk Man, Ness, Omar, Paco, Papi Manny, Pooka, Pokemon Montoya, Pokepop, Pokemon staff and judges of nationals!, Seena, Shaw, Soles, The Arenas, The Coxes, The Craigs, The Enoccentis, The Fouchets, The Jessings, The Ortizes, The Silvestros, Vince & His family, and last but not least Zach.
I probably forgot about 100+ people but If ik u and didnt give u a shout out I do then.:lol:

nice job man, nice deck too

almost every card is playable, you just have to find it's use, gino proved that with gligar and jirachi ex

i didnt yell it you were knocked out like a log and it took you 10 mins to answer the door.. then i told you nice and slow that you were going to worlds and you flippped on to edwins bed.. congrats and gl bro.

G-Dog the Champ!!!!

Big Big Congrats!!!! You work very hard at this game and it paid off.

Thank you so much for your help with T-Dog - I am so glad you and he are friends.

We will cu in HI.

Thanks for the props to my fam.

I just might try grinding in.............

Best,
Steve

Good Job Gino!! Glad you enjoyed the Pokemon part of Origins.....that was what you were there for anyway.....right?? We also had a fantastic time for our first trip! Good Luck in Hawaii!!

Gino, thanks for the shout out, and it was great to talk to you.

You seem to have chilled in the last year...good to see sir!

Look forward to judging you at Worlds...hopefully 2 days again, but not including Friday this time dude!

Vince

gino is a good at pokemon
Good isnt a good enough word for me being so good at pokemon. Its like Great or Ridiculous.

meganium45- Yea thx vince. Becuz of u last year I learned to chill and made me learn tons of rulings. I remember after the jimmy ballard ruling after the game when i was 1-2 u pulled me aside and gave me some tips and advice. Then i went 6-2 mad top 32 and got donked but I probably never woulda won those 5 games if it wasnt for ur advice. So im appreciative of that so much. I cant wait to see u in HA. Remember its "Aloha"

mumsascrappa- Yea thx for the support. Congradulations on your son making top 32 playing for his 1st year.

supertyranitar- Yea I had fun beating you 7/8 times. lol

Rambo1000- Ughhhh 90210!!!

Blastoise-shellshocker- Thx peter. GJ at top32'ing.

Leonners- Ima make a shirt and have the italy flag on the back playing for USA as well. :)

Gatsu- Thx and who r u?

PokeDaddy- Thx. Im so proud of tomaz doing it once again. When a JR player can beat MA players uk u got something there. When Tom goes to the SR division everyone better look out. If you wanna grind in I might show you SD #2:wink:

Kevin89- :( ZOMG I wanted to see u so much. U betta be at worlds 08 i'll tell u that!

Espeonchris14- Your opening hand *6 fighting energy 1 riolu* your opponent flips holons castform. Ur 1st. Attach + Wild Kick + Heads = GG.

chriscobi634- O yea gligar ftw. It was so cool meeting u. U walk by and without me even knowing u I say cobi and ur liked gdog? Ya Im ill like dat.

Bolt- 2 Citys, 2 States, 2 Regionals, Top 32 at nats, Worlds Invite GG SIR. Top 4 at worlds is on my list before I can cross my season out. Looking forward to seeing u at states, cities or maybe even sooner. :)

Zapditto- *PUKES!*

PenguinMaster- Thx seeya at worlds holla at cha boiii!

Papi/Manny- Thx way ahead of ya. Ima rep New England as always.

Back