Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Give prior Worlds Invitees a PTCGO Tropical Beach code card

Abudoggie

Couldn't the PTCGO Tropical Beach problem be helped by sending prior Worlds invitees a code card that would give them an equivalent number of local language Tropical Beaches as they received?

That would at least get Tropical Beach into the PTCGO environment without undermining the unique nature of its scarcity and origin.

Not a perfect solution but would seem doable. Likewise, going forward give invitees a PTCGO code for future Worlds promos.

Why not just connect the Player's online account with the PTCGO online account, and have promos automatically added to accounts if they attend a tournament. Won a Battle Roads? Instantly get your Victory Cup online. Participate in a Cities? Instantly get your Eevee promo online that day. I figure that would be a much more efficient system than code cards for tournaments

Doesn't matter how but gives us Tropical Beach so we can finally be rid of playtcg for testing purposes! Everybody wants Tropical Beach.

Ummm guys? They are doing this.

The unique, limited nature of the real-world distribution for the Tropical Beach promos has historically created challenges in receiving approval for their digital distribution in the Pokémon TCG Online. The question has always been, “Why does it make sense to do this at this time?” The upcoming release of Tournaments created the perfect answer to that question.

The update which includes Tournaments will also add the BW28 and BW50 Tropical Beach promos to the game. At that time, we will begin distributing codes via email to competitors and event staff from the 2011 and 2012 World Championships. Four codes will be sent to each competitor and three to each event staff member, with individuals who participated in both events receiving codes for both versions of the card. Each code will unlock four tradable copies of the version which was handed out at the event in which the individual participated; BW28 for the 2011 World Championships and BW50 for the 2012 World Championships. We estimate delivery of these codes to require two weeks to complete.

http://www.pokemontcg.com/forums/showthread.php?34942-May-Community-Update

Read carefully. Each code unlocks 4. So they're gonna have 32 each if they did both worlds, 16 per worlds; and 12 per staff year.

I wonder if players who participated in VGC at worlds will get codes? They got the actual cards, so I hope they get the codes too.

Read carefully. Each code unlocks 4. So they're gonna have 32 each if they did both worlds, 16 per worlds; and 12 per staff year.
I did read carefully.

That still doesnt mean the price wont be inflated. Supply and demand ya know? For example the price of a Deoxys FA online is about 15 packs, which if you pay 45-50 cents a code, equates to about 5 dollars. Something as rare as Beach would be extremely pricey- hell, there was a code card given out SOMEWHERE in the world that gave the BW09 promo Zoroark online and Ive seen people offer 150-300 packs for one online. So Id say Beach would be somewhere between Deoxys(the most in demand pull card) and the mythical Zoroark promo. And probably at the higher end of that.

What I'm wondering is what constitutes staff Worlds. I mean I worked as a runner at Worlds in 2011 and then help take down and everything. I got a few promo cards for helping. Or are they talking about PAID staff? Because there is a huge difference. I'm just curious that if you worked a certain amount of time do you qualify to get the codes on PTCGO or not. That'll be an interesting question to find the answer about.

I wonder if players who participated in VGC at worlds will get codes? They got the actual cards, so I hope they get the codes too.

I would expect the answer to that to be yes.

Drew

Nice! Now I can trade 50 bucks worth the codes for 1 card! Joy!

While this certainly isn't the broadest of distributions for a high-demand card, we've made every attempt to honor the original distribution method, while increasing the likelihood that these cards will be easier for people who did not attend these events to obtain in the online game than in the real world.

At Worlds, competitors and staff were given 7 copies of this card, each in a different language, in the Welcome Kit. Competitors who made the top cut were given additional English copies, to a maximum of 6 (if my math is correct) for the top 2. Staff and volunteers were given a maximum of 4 English copies.

For the sake of argument, let's use the following numbers per event (note: these are by no means the actual numbers):

500 Welcome Kits = 500 cards x 7 languages (500 kits - 70 staff = 430 competitors)
Top 32 TCG x 3 divisions = 282 English cards
Top 8 VG x 3 divisions = 66 English cards
70 staff = 280 English cards
70 volunteers = 280 English cards

That's a total of 1,408 English cards, and 500 each French, Italian, German, Spanish, Portuguese and Japanese cards, for a total of 4,408 cards. Double that for a combined total of 2,816 English, and 1,000 each French, Italian, German, Spanish, Portuguese and Japanese, for a total of 8,816 Tropical Beach cards.

Given the OP rule regarding tournament legality of foreign language cards, markets like the US only have about 2,800 copies of this card available to them, whereas Europe has about 7,800.

Applying the same numbers above to the digital distribution of these cards...

430 Competitors x 4 codes x 4 cards per code = 6,880 cards
70 staff x 3 codes x 4 cards per code = 840 cards

As language doesn't matter in the online game (cards always appear in the language you've selected), that's 7,720 cards. Double that for a total of 15,440 Tropical Beach cards.

That's not to say that players won't demand a premium in trade for these cards; simply that there will be more of them in circulation, which should mitigate the "price" a bit.

Mike when will the distribution begin? Will it start this Monday along with the scheduled web maintenance, or are we looking at a more mid-month update?

This will be a much less bigger deal if Japan just made a stadium card with the same effect as TB and put it in a pack. Kind of how like VC is a prettier version of Pokeball.

@ M_Liesik

Price going up or down wont matter. The only ones who will have beaches are those who competed in 2011 and 2012 worlds. These cards are already hard for us other players to get. They are above 100 in real life and people who have them value them at the highest they can be and may not let them go. If those who played in worlds are the only ones to get them in PTCGO, it makes it harder for us to get them. Does not matter if there are over 20000 in circulation because the masses do not own them. PTCi is giving 16 or 32 of these cards to competitors and 12 to 24 to staff members when they each got 1 or so in real life. Instead of forcing us to give up hundreds of dollars of our cards in PTCGO to players who have at least 16 beaches, why not just give each player at least 2 beaches since there is no other way for us to get them.

The game is already expensive for us in real life and should not be expensive for us in PTCGO. Just give everyone at least 2 beaches to help us out and show appreciation to your players who are less fortunate then others. I do want to thank you for giving us catchers when we needed them in PTCGO, now we need beaches and most of us cant afford them. Help us small people out.

Thanks.

@ M_Liesik

Price going up or down wont matter. The only ones who will have beaches are those who competed in 2011 and 2012 worlds. These cards are already hard for us other players to get. They are above 100 in real life and people who have them value them at the highest they can be and may not let them go. If those who played in worlds are the only ones to get them in PTCGO, it makes it harder for us to get them. Does not matter if there are over 20000 in circulation because the masses do not own them. PTCi is giving 16 or 32 of these cards to competitors and 12 to 24 to staff members when they each got 1 or so in real life. Instead of forcing us to give up hundreds of dollars of our cards in PTCGO to players who have at least 16 beaches, why not just give each player at least 2 beaches since there is no other way for us to get them.

The game is already expensive for us in real life and should not be expensive for us in PTCGO. Just give everyone at least 2 beaches to help us out and show appreciation to your players who are less fortunate then others. I do want to thank you for giving us catchers when we needed them in PTCGO, now we need beaches and most of us cant afford them. Help us small people out.

Thanks.
While I agree that playing IRL is super expensive, I think there should be SOME sort of premium for playing online. Especially, since the client is aimed at giving players an outlet to play that cant play IRL, and TPCi is a business and on top of all that- it costs money to program and update the client regularly. Eventually, the online game may develop into something more akin and reliable such as MTG:Online, which will help Pokemon take some of MTGs marketshare in the online realm.

On the note about beaches, I think to reward every player that has stuck around since the BEGINNING would be a better idea. I have been with the Beta since its flash days- I was even around when PvP was first released on it, and to reward those loyal players with a playset of beaches would be an amazing thing, plus the value of the cards themselves would help further those players in the game in the future.

I do NOT think that every person that has a PTCGO account should be given 1 of the rarer cards released the past couple years, though. The amount of people that play online and expect something out of nothing is ridiculous, and I know myself, as well as MANY others online have spent alot of REAL money for those online boosters and cards so far- and I plan to keep that up.

Back