Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

good 'ol gardy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ditto

ok, so i've been gone for a little while. haven't played since dragon, so obviously i'm 2 nearly 3 sets behind. fortunatly, i've heard that gardy is still a playable deck, and since that was what i played before i decided it would be the best place to start. the first deck that i have here is more or less what i can remember from my old gardy deck, with of course, a few tweaks for new trainers. the second deck here is something that i thought would be very nice when i first saw gorbyss, but that i've heard just doesn't work well. well, i decided to draw up a trial deck anyway, cause for some reason, i've been known to get funny things to work together. anyway, check them out, tell me all the stuff i'm doing wrong, lol. btw, these are both just drawn up from memory and just on paper, i haven't played with either of these decks so i'm sure there's at least a ton of fine tuning for them.

deck 1 (old deck)

Pokemon
4x ralts
3x kirilia (needed even more so now with atm rock)
3x gardivor (sorry guys, i'm not a big fan of gardy EX, just have the 1 in here for tech)
1x gardivor EX (tech, mix it up, big damage if regular gardy can't handle something)
2x skitty
2x delcatty (gotta have draw)
2x zizgzagoon
2x linoone (i like having both kitty and linoone, i just seem to always make use of both. linoone of course for searching)

Trainers
1x research (never underestimate a card that doesn't rely on anything about the opponent)
2x copycat (gotta have hand shuffling)
2x oracle (must have with a delcatty in the deck)
2x advice (not sure how much i like this card, but i can't say it isn't good, so in it goes)
3x tv reporter
2x atm rock (personally, i love the new rc ruling, though i don't think it really makes that big of a difference. eitherway, this card goes in.)
4x potions (must for gardy's power)
4x candy (speed speed speed)
2x star piece (this is a favorite of mine. gardy power to get energy on the poke, then this uses the damage from gardy to evolve in between turns. everything's connected)
4x strength charm (altering damage done to get just the right amount is what this deck is about, so this helps when you've played all your energy and used all your powers)
1x town volunteers (with only 10 psy, well, it's just nice to have)

Energy
4x boost
10x psychic

deck 2 (lets use some newer cards)

Pokemon
3x ralts
2x kirilia
3x gardivor (use only for the power, try and leave the attacking to gorbyss)
3x clamperl
3x gorbyss (main attacker)
2x skitty
2x delcatty (sorry, but delcatty-oracle is just nicer than linoone i think)

Trainers
1x research (read above for the trainers)
2x copycat
2x oracle
2x advice
3x tv reporter
2x atm rock
4x potions
3x candy
2x star piece
4x strength charm
1x town volunteers

Energy
4x double rainbow (turn one gorbyss? gorbyss from scratch? this is nice)
2x multi
10x psychic

ok, so yeah, there they are. maybe everyone is right and gorbyss-gardy just won't work, but i think that it should, but of course, i haven't been the one playtesting either. tell me what you think, show me where i'm wrong, i'm up for criticizim.

-Ditto

Last edited:
let me fix up the Gorebyss for ya
it seems closer to greatness. . .

Pokemon (23)
4 Ralts
3 Kirlia
3 Gardevoir
1 Gardevoir EX
3 Clampearl
3 Gorebyss
4 Dunsparce
2 Jirachi/Wynaut

Energy (18)
4 Double Rainbow Energy
2 Multi Energy
12 Psychic Energy

Trainers (21)
4 Steven's Advice
4 TV Reporter
3 Copycat/Professor Oak's Research
3 Rare Candy
3 Desert Ruins
3 Professor Elm's Training Method
1 Switch/Warp Point

Ditto coming to league? Ditto posting on the boards??

Too cool.

Ditto wants to play a Garde deck, predictable....

Talk to you soon.

M45

I think 3 Ruins is almost completely necessary
most people only play 2 countergyms and it would hurt them too much to add in another
but the Steven's drop is ok

Hi Ditto,

Nice deck. The Gorebyss version looks best to me. Like the idea to run Star Piece since it adds even more speed to this deck.

POKEMON (20):

4 Gorebyss (beatdown)
4 Clamperl (beatdown)
3 Gardevoir (enable)
3 Kirlia (enables)
3 Ralts (enables)
3 Wynaut (draw)

TRAINERS (21)

3 Professor Oak's Research (draw)
3 Steven's Advice (draw)
3 Wally Training (evolve)
3 Desert Ruins (disable)
3 Star Piece (evolve)
3 Master Ball (draw)
3 Copycat (draw)

ENERGY (19):

4 Double Rainbow Energy
12 Psychic Energy
3 Multi Energy

The version above focuses a little more on Gorebyss. Wynaut seemed to be better than Dunsparce to me since it is much more felxible and enables one to search for evolutions too. The Star Piece idea seemed nice to me in this deck since it enables a much faster second Gardevoir or a second Gorebyss.

Please let me know what you think about this version.

w00t

I KNEW I'd get you back! Bwahaha. Give me a call and we can share a ride this weekend or whenever.

Anyways, about the star piece. I don't think it's all that necessary since you'll want to have either wynaut or jirachi in your deck, and they are going to be pulling out the evolutions early game. Late game you will just drop the basic and rare candy it, so again star piece isn't needed. That's my thinking, at least, but I've never played Gardy. Holla back

~MM

ah, it's good to be back. ok, well, after numerous rereadings of the posts, and having to look up on a lot of new cards, i think i've tweaked some things to mix all 3 versions of our lovly psychic fish deck.

Pokemon
3x ralts
2x kirilia
3x gardivor
3x clamperl
3x gorbyss
2x skitty
2x delcatty

Trainers
1x research
2x copycat
3x advice
4x tv reporter
2x oracle
2x desert ruins
1x switch
1x warp
3x candy
2x star piece
4x strength charm
1x town volunteers

Energy
4x double rainbow
2x multi
10x psychic

ok, now for the reasoning part. on the pokemon: the gardy line i left as the 3-2-3 because i've got 3 r/c and i always think that with that you need to at least drop one of the middle stages, at least. it just takes up too much room to have 3-3-3 AND 3 r/c. now for the controversial part. i left the kittys in there. why? because overall i think that they have more use than dunsparce or wynaut or jirachi would in the deck as a whole. those might be a bit better at the begining, but only because they take less to set up. kitty can get you anything, not just pokemon, and with oracle, even late in the game when you need something special you can still pull it. maybe it's just cause i've always had a hatred for dunsparce, i don't know, but after the first turn he just seems useless, and for sure i don't need 4 useless cards around late game.

next to the energy, cause it's easiest. personally, i hate playing more than 14 energy, and 16 max. in this day and age, and expesially when you can attack for one energy card, you don't need 20 energy. so i'm probably not gonna budge on my energy.

now you may ask, well so far he hasn't changed anything, what's up? well, the trainers are always the part that i find in decks that seem to need the most tweaking, so most things will probably happen there. though still please offer suggestions/reasons for the kitty vs. dunsparce type pokemon.

ok, so trainers: most peeps said 3 research/cat, so i went with my nice 1-2 on those, just for variety. next was the steven's and TV reporter. really, i think 3 steven's is a little high, i'd just play 2, but i'm gonna take the suggestion and go with 3. TV, TV, TV, ah of course, remembering him a bit more i recall how much i love that card. taking the suggestion and uping him to 4, though, only testing will actually tell me if i really need that 4th one, but i won't go less than 3. oracle is of course, there to stay until the kittys leave the deck too. now for something that i'll really have to trust you guys on. when i left, there really wasn't a need for gyms, hardly any were played and if they were, it wasn't a big deal. are gyms really that big that some of you think i need 3 in my deck? out of personal preference i never play more than 2, so far no gym is that good that i MUST have it on the field and waste three slots in my deck for it. but for now, i'll leave the 2 in there, since i have no EX pokemon, it can only benifit me. how could i forget switch/warp? i'm ashamed as to not have them in there originally. i'd like one more warp in there, but not sure already on some of the trainers so for now i'll just mix it up and have 1 of each, for those multi senerios. took out the atm rock cause no one had it in their fixes. i thought it seemed like a good card, maybe not as good. maybe in the end i'll have one in there for tech. yes, that's what'll happen probably. i took out the potions too, since, for gorbyss, potion really isn't gonna help much, and since i'm not attacking with gardy, he can just sit with energy and damage. plus, couldn't spare the room with all the new stuff. for now i'm gonna leave the star piece in, like someone said, it's good to the the second gardy or gorbyss out. kind of a later game wynaut maybe? strength charm. ah, the strength charm. i really think it's a must in here, since 10 damage can make or break an attack. the deck is based on controling my energy to give me just enough damage to knock out whatever is active. well, sometimes i'm 10 damage short, and that hurts bad. this is also the reason i liked having the gyms in there, they might just add that extra 10 that i need. i've found in the past that it helped a ton with my old gardy deck, so for now i'm keeping it. the town volunteers is there to get energy back into the deck for searching, and to revieve my pokemon if i need to.

anyway, so that's my new take on the deck. tell me what you guys think. point out where i'm wrong. show me something better.

-Ditto

*edit* (note: in the first version of this reply and in the first post on this topic i had "tv" as in tv reporter and then near the end of the deck list i had "tv reporter". the "1x tv reporter at the end of the deck should've been town volunteers. sorry for all that. both posts are fixed now.)

Last edited:
x3 Ralts (Hypnoses(sp))
x2 Kirilia (1 super psy 2 Link Blast (i think))

-4 Reporter
-4 Strenght Charm

+3 Psychic
+2 Wobbufet
+3 Wynaut

you NEED more than 10 :psychic: energy.only 10 is very bad. IMO Gorbyss is bad in Gardy. he takes up to much space. this is what i would do if i took out Gorbyss. (the fix above is if you want to keep Gorbyss)

-3 Clamperl
-3 Gorbyss
-4 Reperter
-4 DRE
-2 Multi
-4 Strength Charm
-2 Skitty
-2 Delcatty
-2 Oracle
-1 Desert Ruins

+3 Wobbufet
+4 Wynaut
+4 Boost
+2 Gardivor ex
+1 Ralts
+1 Kirlia
+1 Gardivor
+1 Stevans
+4 :psychic:
+2 Research
+1 Copycat
+1 Magnetic Storm
+1 Apercorn Forest
+1 Switch

Without Gorbyss (and i guess now no Delcatty) this is what it looks like.

Pokemon
x4 Ralts
x3 Kirilia
x4 Gardivor
x2 Gardivor ex
x3 Wobbufet
x4 Wynaut

Trainers
x3 POR
x3 Copycat
x4 Stevans
x1 Desert Ruins
x1 Magnetic Storm
x1Apercorn Forest
x2 Switch
x1 Warp Point
x3 Candy
x2 Star Piece
x1 Town Volunteers

Energy
x4 Boost
x14 Psychic

Last edited:
Bring that thing to league, and a straight Garde will bring you to your knees.

Garde is helped with Boost energy, for that 3 energy kick. You have no GardeEX tech, for late game, when everyone is piled with energy.

Drop your star piece (unless you really want them) for 2 psychic or 2 boost.

Add in a Garde EX - I do not care what you drop for it (MB your Research), or heck, your reporter.

That's my 2 cents....come to league and I will playtest with you against both a straight Garde, or an Exploud (which tends to hurt Garde bad)

M45

M45 is right
you have it very close, but it will still fall to a good Gardy
Pokemon (23)
4 Ralts
3 Kirlia
3 Gardevoir
1 Gardevoir EX
3 Clampearl
3 Gorebyss
4 Dunsparce
2 Jirachi/Wynaut

Energy (18)
4 Double Rainbow Energy
2 Boost Energy
10 Psychic Energy
2 Multi Energy

Trainers (21)
4 Steven's Advice
4 TV Reporter
3 Copycat/Professor Oak's Research
3 Rare Candy
3 Desert Ruins
3 Professor Elm's Training Method
1 Switch/Warp Point

you need a tech Gardevoir EX
you will lose very quickly without it, as it will be able to take out EXs
Gorebyss isn't necessarily the best at that
Dunsparce is good
first turn it is by far the best card you can have and it can be useful later in the game to search for the last few Ralts or Clampearls
at worst, it is a TV Reporter discard
I prefer Wynaut over Jirachi, but for some reason people think Jirachi is better, so I'l let you decide
Boost is necessary, as Vince clearly stated
again, I prefer Copycat, especially with the insane amounts of Delcatty/Steven's Advice running around
and actually, I would drop the Switch/Warp in favor of a Crystal Shard/Ancient Technical Machine (Rock), but most people seem to be in love with those
anyway, just my 2 cents
good luck

Have you run Star piece in a Grady. I have and it didn't work for me. Just wondering what someone else's expirences were with it were. I found that it didn't help me get to the first one which is the most important thing.

ugh
I tried Star Piece, and it was the ultima flop
I eventually replaced them with more Wynaut, and that has worked ever since

ok, well, like a lot of you have said, GEX is a need. and to me, if i'm gonna have even one GEX in the deck then it's pretty much worthless to have mr. fishy in there at all. so, lets go back towards somewhat of my first deck, back to what i was used to playing anyway. let me tweak it up to standards here and see how it goes.

Pokemon (16)
4x ralts
3x kirilia
3x gardivor
2x gardivor EX
2x skitty
2x delcatty

Trainers (29)
1x research
2x copycat
2x oracle
2x advice
3x tv reporter
1x atm rock
1x switch
2x warp point
4x potions
4x candy
2x star piece
4x strength charm
1x town volunteers

Energy (15)
4x boost
11x psychic

ok, well, i would like to expand on this and maybe tweak it some more myself, but alas, i have to goto work, >_<. anyway, tell me what you all think about doing things this way, and i'll provide details when i get back. thanks everyone.

*note* starpiece has always worked fine for me for those of you wondering.

Last edited:
Mikeeeey...

I stand by my reasoning that delcatty will work against you... discarding energy when you need to be putting it into play, especially with just 11 psy energy. You are not going to be able to use delcatty much more than sparce or wynaut, and sparce/wynaut/jirachi all have the whole being a basic pokemon thing going for them. On top of that if you switch them out you can keep the energy in play for gex's attack. Strength charm I still say is not worth playing especially now that you have boost in there. Put in another rock, and pleeeease let star piece die :p Not sure about those potions either but we've covered enough for one day.

PS: That sucks you lost your shift key, I hope the new one comes in the mail soon :(

I hope you weren't being serious, not to be rude but, -4 strentgth charm,-3 t.v. reporters,- 4 potion,
+ 2 Steven's,+2 copycat,+1 research+2 star piece,+4 dunsparce, then you'll be in business.

ok, so i'm breaking down, after some very convincing points complements of Mega Murkrow. let me just post what i've done since i got off work and then i'll talk about it.

Pokemon (15)
4x ralts
3x kirilia
3x gardivor
2x gardivor EX
3x wynaut

Trainers (29)
1x research
2x copycat
3x advice
4x tv reporter
2x atm rock
1x switch
3x warp point
4x potions
4x candy
4x strength charm
1x town volunteers

Energy (16)
4x boost
12x psychic

ok, so first things first, pokemon. due to popular demand and just the fact that it will make changing the deck easier, i have taken out delcatty. while i still think that it would be nice, i think that i'll be fine without it. dunsparce really doesn't help now, as there's not that many basics to get, so for now i'm gonna use wynaut. i really don't think that i need 3, but since some would argue that, and plus since i don't have many basics now, i'm gonna leave it at 3.

on to trainers. took out the oracle, since it's really not that good IMHO without the kitty. added in some more draw, since i'm losing draw when i take out delcatty. 4 tv reporters since i have to get rid of an extra 2 useless wynauts somehow (lol, can you tell what i think of them? lol). atm rock back to 2, now that i have the room. added another warp point, which i really think will come in handy. and as you can see, and i'm sure many are appluading, there are no more star pieces. while i still think they're good, they not as good when there's only one evo line, so out they go. also as some of you will like, i've added some more energy. but really, i don't think i need anymore than that.

anyway, there's not many weird things to explain about this deck now, or at least that i haven't already covered, so there ya go, tell me what you think.

-Ditto

MM, be sure to check your mail for some explosive action. ;)

I really don't think you want TV Reporter. it discards stuff. and you only have one town vonuteers.

-4 TVReporte
-4 Srtangth Charm
-4 Potion
-1 Candy
-3 Warp point

+3 Wobbuffet
+1 Switch
+1 Stevans
+2 Psychic energy
+1 Wynuat
+1 Magnetinc Storm
+1 Apercorn Forest
+2 Copycat
+2 POR
+2 PETM

Last edited:
Jeez spellcheck much?

If you are trying a gorebyss deck... every one i've seen of them,

Gorebyss: Beatdown
Garde: Build up.
Wobb: Ex Defense [size 99]DUH![/size 99] (god i hope those don't really work)
Wynaut: Early game set up.

Steven is a must, POR is a must, ditch catty. He's good but you need more room for (Al) Gorebyss and energys. 4 boost 12/13 psychic should be sufficient.

blaze: discarding stuff really isn't that bad, cause a lot of the time you're gonna have extra crap around, that or just so much of the same type of draw cards that you can get rid of one. but why take out the potions (which heal the 20 that i give myself for using my power) and the strength charms (that add 10 more when i've already played all the energy that i can for the turn)? maybe if there was some useful stuff that you were putting in it'd be ok, but you just added mostly draw cards. after the first few turns i don't need my hand filled with nothing but draw cards, cause then what am i gonna be drawing, more draw cards? that doesn't help me. i need cards that will actually DO something. plus i think there's plenty of draw in there already. also why would i need 4 wynauts? i'm gonna use 1 the first turn, MAYBE the second turn, but that's it, then i'm done, nothing more with them. so why do i want 4 sitting around doing nothing? (these could always be my discard cards for tv reporter, lol). maybe i could switch some stuff and work with wobbafet, but really, i've found that even with gardy's power to help get energy out, he's just not fast enough when i need him against EX pokes, and when i do put him out they just retreat or something and KO it with their other big poke. so to me he really doesn't help much with anti-EX. please though, explain your reasoning for things and correct me where i'm wrong.

comma: i think i'm ditching the gorbyss part of it and just running straight gardy and GEX. cause really, GEX is the same thing as our fishy friend except that GEX is better, so why even bother with gorbyss? so i decided to work on just the straight gardy.

-Ditto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back