Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Great Encounters - OREGON - February 2nd, 9th & 10th

Big Daddy Snorlax

Administrator
Staff member
Great Encounters Prereleases in Oregon​

One Before and Two After the Super Bowl!!!

Will we see you at all THREE? :clap:
  • Get more NEW Diamond & Pearl Pokémon!
  • Get powerful new Pokémon LV.X …3…4…5…How many will we see?
  • Get two brand-new Legendary Pokémon: Cresselia and a mysterious, powerful Pokémon...
  • Over 100 cards in all!
  • Featuring three theme decks built around the new Diamond & Pearl Pokémon!
  • Another GREAT pack of Deck Sleeves with Great Encounters Art!!!

Basic Information - EUGENE (2/2/08)
4750 Village Plaza Loop, Eugene, OR
Date - Saturday, February 2nd, 2008

Basic Information - PORTLAND (2/9/08)
315 SE 3rd AVE, Portland, OR
Date - Saturday, February 9th, 2008

Basic Information - SALEM (2/10/08)
546 High St NE, Salem, OR
Date - Sunday, February 10th, 2008

Time - 11:00 AM (registration begins) (please arrive by 11:45 to allow time for the registration process)
The main tournament will last 5 to 6 hours

Tournament Structure
Three Age Divisions:
>> Juniors (born in 1997 or later)
>> Seniors (born in 1993, 1994, 1995, or 1996)
>> Masters (born in 1992 or earlier)

Format – Sealed Deck (6 booster packs provided) Age Modified Swiss (all players play in every round)

Cost - $25

Additional Information - Call (971) 221-7147 or e-mail [email protected]

Prizes Prizes Prizes
  • Exclusive Promo and Great Encounters Card Sleeves (while supplies last)
  • All Players get 2 additional Great Encounters boosters when they complete the tournament!!!
  • The “Mystery Box” will be back, containing a random selection of Pokémon Foils, Black Star Promo cards and ???
  • Prize Drawings between every round for Promos, Boosters, and other Pokémon items – We have a GREAT selection of unique Pokemon Items for these giveaways!!!

THEME DECK CHALLENGE: If you are just learning to play Pokémon, you might be interested in a more casual format. Instead of the main Prerelease tournament, you can participate in a theme deck challenge, which will be a non-sanctioned tournament. You will be given a brand new Great Encounters theme deck to battle with. Everyone wins an additional 4 Great Encounters boosters and a pack of Great Encounters Card Sleeves when they complete the tournament. Parents can help their younger children, or children can help their parents learn the game. Learn to play the game, get the new cards and have a lot of FUN in the process. You can’t lose! Quantities of Theme Decks are limited, so priority will be given to beginners.
Entry fee - $25.00

Side Events
DS TOURNAMENT: (NEW RULES, read carfully) Throughout the day, there will be a DS tournament going on. The tournament will require you to bring your own DS and game. There will be Pokémon merchandise for prizes. We will structure this tournament in a way that those people participating in the main tournament can still participate in the DS tournament.
RULES - You are allowed 3 Pokémon of level 100 or lower; No two of the same Pokémon; You may only have ONE Pokemon from the following list on your team: Articuno, Zapdos, Moltres, Mewtwo, Mew, Raikou, Entei, Suicune, Lugia, Ho-oh, Celebi, Regirock, Regice, Registeel, Latias, Latios, Kyogre, Groudon, Rayquaza, Jirachi, Deoxys, Dialga, Palkia, Uxie, Mesprit, Azelf, Heatran, Regigigas, Cresselia, Phione, Manaphy (NOTE: Shaymin, Darkrai, and Arceus are not allowed since they are all event Pokemon and aren't available in the US yet.); No duplicate held items allowed; Certain powers (Moonlight, Morning sun, Dream Eater, Rest, Recover, Heal Order, Heal Wish, Roost, Lunar Dance, Aqua Ring, Slack Off, Milk Drink, Soft Boiled, Ingrain, Leech Seed, Swallow, Synthesis, Wish) are not allowed after 6 minutes into the match; "Modified" GBA cartridges are not allowed (i.e. Shark or Action Replay).
Entry fee - FREE

SIDE EVENT TOURNAMENTS: Following the main tournament we will run side events using the new Great Encounters theme decks and boosters. The type of tournaments we run depends on what players want. We can do booster drafts or theme deck sealed. Prizes will be Great Encounters boosters (the amount of prizes depends on number of participants).
Entry fee - $20.00

BDS

Last edited:
Time - 11:00 AM (registration begins) (you must arrive by 11:45 to avoid a first round loss)

Ooooohhhh.....boooyyyyy.

I better make sure I get there on time so I don't lose the first round of the pre-release.

BDS is a big meanie! :mad:

lol, I should show up at 11:44.

Actually, that brings me to a legitimate question: BDS, your goal is to start the tourney at Noon, correct? The extra 15 minutes from 11:45 (when one must arrive) till noon (when the tourney supposedly starts) seems like enough time for a whole car full of YGO playerZ to figure out how to stop annoying us and Yu-GT-*O, hence why I ask.

Note: Yes, I'm so scared of being infracted again that I censored the letter F. There's a target on my head. "They" are watching me.

Last edited:
Phazon, I'm not sure if there's a question in there or not. The intent is to get people to the tournaments during the registration time, not at the end of the registration time, with say 1 minute to spare. At Cities we had several occurances of 6 or 7 players arriving a minute before the posted start time. Since we usually have large turnouts in Oregon, that means we have dozens of people who planned ahead, arrived with plenty of time to get registered and are now wondering why the organizers can't get started on time. Is 15 minutes really necessary, perhaps not, but hey, if we don't need all 15 minutes I am not opposed to starting EARLY! In 9 City Championships the closest we ever came to an "on-time" start was 5 minutes late, and we only did that once. I am just trying to get people to be respectful of all those others who plan ahead and arrive in plenty of time to get the paperwork done.

... but, since you are the Great Phazon, I will soften my language just a bit, and we'll try just asking nice with no consequences. We'll see how well that works out.

BDS

lol, I should show up at 11:44.

I will vonunteerily show up at that time with you. After all, since prereleases don't count toward our premier rankings I can afford to put my winning streak at ease.

Also, I, once again, have a special prize of my own for the Salem DS tournament. Hopefully this time around I'll be there for the whole thing.
~Cyber~

Hello,
We'll try and get to one or two with a van load of people. Don and Vance do an outstanding job in Eugene, setting tables up outside on the porch for lunch break, Drew hooks up the WiFi for the DS tourneys. If you've not been to a Eugene tourney, think about coming down!

Side note: think ahead to Nationals. This Friday is the deadline for the early bird registration badge, Save $20 if you've attended Nats before or bring a new attendee for FREE!

* SAVE $20 with Origins 2008 Early Bird registration!!
* BRING A NEW PERSON FOR FREE with the popular Expose-A-Friend program!!

BOTH END on JANUARY 11, 2008.

http://www.originsgamefair.com/2008

See you soon,
Nanette

Phazon, I'm not sure if there's a question in there or not. The intent is to get people to the tournaments during the registration time, not at the end of the registration time, with say 1 minute to spare. At Cities we had several occurances of 6 or 7 players arriving a minute before the posted start time. Since we usually have large turnouts in Oregon, that means we have dozens of people who planned ahead, arrived with plenty of time to get registered and are now wondering why the organizers can't get started on time. Is 15 minutes really necessary, perhaps not, but hey, if we don't need all 15 minutes I am not opposed to starting EARLY! In 9 City Championships the closest we ever came to an "on-time" start was 5 minutes late, and we only did that once. I am just trying to get people to be respectful of all those others who plan ahead and arrive in plenty of time to get the paperwork done.

... but, since you are the Great Phazon, I will soften my language just a bit, and we'll try just asking nice with no consequences. We'll see how well that works out.

BDS

That is the greatest post I have ever seen on any forum ever! Big Daddy just laid down the smack in the most righteous of ways. If smack was a carbonated beverage, Big Daddy would sell it by the bottle.

BDS, you need to post like that more often. especially that last part.

(BTW, you've been sigged again. ^^)

You know i'll go to 2 of them and PWn your faces in, continuing my 9-0 pre record this season. I'l manage to pull of a win with like a 1-1-1 Sceptile and nothing else :lol:
Shame that there isn't one at Avatar's lair. But I think they canceled so Ben wouldn't have to go back to that subway again XD.

You know i'll go to 2 of them and PWn your faces in, continuing my 9-0 pre record this season. I'l manage to pull of a win with like a 1-1-1 Sceptile and nothing else :lol:
Shame that there isn't one at Avatar's lair. But I think they canceled so Ben wouldn't have to go back to that subway again XD.

LOL fosho... and ya pre's are the whole tourneys your good at : )

jk

See you there!

So is Giratina Not Allowed? All the others are, but i don't see him.

Giratina should be in the list of ledgendaries for the DS tournament. I'd edit in Giratina's name onto that list where it say "only one of these pokemon allowed per team" in the DS tournament rules, but I don't have the authorithy to edit other people's posts... yet.
~Cyber~

LOL fosho... and ya pre's are the whole tourneys your good at : )

jk

See you there!

you mean only? And hey, me Being good at Pres vs you being good at...... jack squat. I bieleve I win.

jk

See you guys there. Hopefully we'll get the Eeveelutions and some really good cards. G&G must die.

And phione isn't a legendary CM. Take him off the list. He's NU and he's breedable. Infact, swap him with Wobbefet. Honestly, he's the only Uber not on the list.

And phione isn't a legendary CM. Take him off the list. He's NU and he's breedable. Infact, swap him with Wobbefet. Honestly, he's the only Uber not on the list.

I'll have to discuss this with [R]visitor and maybe Mr. Raichu before I actually change the list of ledgendaries/Ubers. Last time I made changes without notifying anyone caused some major confusion and Mr. Raichu took it out on me. :redface:

So if we do actually make any changes to DS tournament rules they'll effect States and onward.
~Cyber~

I'll have to discuss this with [R]visitor and maybe Mr. Raichu before I actually change the list of ledgendaries/Ubers. Last time I made changes without notifying anyone caused some major confusion and Mr. Raichu took it out on me. :redface:

So if we do actually make any changes to DS tournament rules they'll effect States and onward.
~Cyber~

Cmex still has the welts from that mr.raichu debacle.:eek:

On an important note:

Don't expect ANYONE to show up to the salem pre-release on 2/10/08.

That's Super Smash Bros. Brawl day, nobody'll be leaving their houses.
:nonono:

[R]Visitor;1013958 said:

On an important note:

I'll show up....mainly because I don't have the $50 for SSBB. Then again, I also don't have the $25 to play Pokemon for an afternoon.

ON third thought, I reckon I'll stay home and play.........PUZZLE QUEST!!

Edit, but yeah, if I am able to get Brawl, yall won't be seeing me.

[R]Visitor;1013958 said:

On an important note:

Damn, you're right. What to do? Get Smash Bros or go to a prerelease? I suppose all the Corvallis players will just go to Eugene and skip Salem becuase of SSBB.

Well if no one comes then I guess I'll just keep these shiny pokemon I planned to give away for the Salem DS tournament.
~Cyber~
EDIT: Brawl got delayed. How sad. :frown:

Last edited:
Back