Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Great Lakes Regionals Report: Maybe I'm Crazy...(15+)

Smeagol

Tecumseh, MI: Great Lakes Regionals(15+:57 players, iirc)

I went with Metanite b/c I am a noob like that. I was kind of p***** going into today b/c of...
a) I found out the day before that I wouldn't be able to go to Japan in the summer. Rather, I'll be going to Taiwan (Chinese Taipei). Not too shaby, considering the trip is free.
b) I stayed up the ENTIRE night decktesting. My choice, I know, but ah well. It only came back to bite me in teh top cut (you'll see)...

Round 1-Vs. Mr. Hale-Arcy ex/Dugtrio/Sharpedo ex

He gets a T2 Arcy and pwns me. He took the first 4 prizes. I tooke 6 out of the next 7 FTW. Close one, gg.

(1-0)

Round 2-Vs. Andrew M.(OH)-Metanite

He got a bad start. I owned him. GG, man.

(2-0)

Round 3-Vs. James (KY)-Attrition

Close one but I beat him. He prized his Eggs ftl. Ouch.

(3-0)

Lunch break. I sat around for an hour and did nothing.

Round 4-Vs.Tyler F. (KY State Champ)-Banette ex and reg/Sableye/Jolteon *

He started w/ the jolt and I simply worked around it. I won but he could've had it if he didn't discard his lone safeguard banny. GG.

(4-0)

Round 5-Vs. FOISY(MI)-Metanite (mirror)

I jumped out to a huge lead and then, somehow, let him creep back into teh game. He took the lead by a prize, I tied it up, then won it with Lugia. GG...FOISY.

(5-0)

So I'm definately in the top 16. I want to be #1, though...

Round 6-Vs. Tom D.-MSNBC

I don't like this matchup, for some odd reason. I couldn't get the Lugia going, but I still had a chance. It came down to time where he took the go-ahead prize with ZERO time on the clock, right after he Farmered for garbage/no reason (just to stall). But we 'play to win the game', right? (Gotta love Herm Edwards!) Bleh. Obviously I'm mad. He said afterward that I couldn't possibly knock out his second Steelix ex ftw the following turn. He may have been wrong. If I 'couldn't possibly pull it off', why not give me a chance? Answer: because we 'play to win the game'. GG sotg, gg.

Sour grapes.

(5-1)

So I'm in the Top 16 as the 2nd seed. I found out I was versing Scizor ex, the guy who infamously suits up as Pikachu in all of his top cut matches. INTENSE!

Top 16-Vs. Michael Allen Jr.-Scizor ex (4 of 'em!)/Latios ex d (2 iirc)/Latias d (2 iirc)

Game 1:

This was a slaughter fest. I couldn't get anything going. It DID go down to 1-1 on prizes, though. He won with a boost, iirc. GG.

(0-1)

Game 2:

There's only 20 or so minutes left and I'm forced to play fast. I got my setup and ko'd a Scizor. Eventually, I send up a tanked Draggy to kill his Scizor with no energies and 60 damage upon it. GG.

(1-1)

Game 3:

So there's 7 minutes left. I wasn't sure how to approach this. I start with a Dratini (turned out to be a life saver!) and I drew into a second Dratini and a Casty, which I never used as an attacker npr did I bench it. I eventually get a Lugia with a metal on it onto my bench. There's one spot open on my bench. Time is called...

SUDDEN DEATH:

So we are the last game left out of all the divisions this round. Yippee. I proceeded to NOTTT make the move that WOULD'VE won me the match. I forgot to use a certain card to get me the lighning energy that I needed FTW (from my discard pile). I THINK THIS WAS BECAUSE OF A LACK OF SLEEP...WELL NO SLEEP AT ALL, ALONG WITH THE PRESSURE. I proceeded to attach a Casty to the benched Lugia. I'm forced to send it up, b/c he has a tanked Scizor ex. I pass. He hits me for 50. I flip heads on Lugia's body. He picks up the Casty 'cuz I told him to do so. Now it only has a metal on it. I think he attached a magnemite or something to it and...retreats and passes. Now I need the Lightning energy FTW...but I don't get it. I am forced to pass. He retreats his active and BOOST ENERGIES me FT...L. This match took 67 minutes and we didn't even finish 3 games! GG's, Pika!

It turns out I would've had the WIN the following turn!!! Ah well, there's always...Battle Roads???

(1-2; eliminated)

(Overall: 5-2)

So I got DONKED by the FIFTEENTH seed. I'm tired of this happening. Why, why, WHY me? Maybe I'm cRaZY?!

Oh and a side note. It turned out that FOISY won it all with Metanite! I was his ONLY loss of the day (9-1, iirc)!!!

PROPS:

-Moza for the deck help
-Moza FTW!!!
-Metanite for not requiring excessive hours of testing to do well with
-James
-Team BLAM
-Metanite
-My predictions for being CLOSE (all but 1 person missed the cut...and that was b/c he wasn't there! *coughSeenacough*)
-Gnarles Barkley
-Nothing else...today sucked.

Slops:

-Scizor ex (4 of 'em!!!)
-Keaton for being right...my lil' bro got TENTH in a top EIGHT cut (10-) (4-2). GJ, though!
-Top SIXTEEN cut...burn and die, burn and DIE...TOP SIXTEEN CUT!!!
-Foisy (for being a lucksac)
-Banquet Hall. Sorry guys, I liked Angola a LOTTT better, et tu?
-My other bro for being in Florida and not in Michigan for this tourney
-MSNBC
-Taiwan...for now
-Ohio State
-Foisy (for being a lucksac)

Well I'm out. Let this be a lesson to y'all...don't play it safe. Go for gold!

I'll leave you on this final note:

"You play to win the game."

-Former NY Jets coach, Herm Edwards

and...

FOISY???!!?!!~~~!!!!?!111?!!11/11?!!!????????

Last edited:
It seems MetaNite was the play today (I got wh00ped by it in T-16.)

Good job. Too bad about the Scizor beat.

-Keaton for being right...my lil' bro got TENTH in a top EIGHT cut (10-) (4-2). GJ, though!

I know how your lil' bro feels. I was 17th in Masters, just one outside the top 16 cut. It kinda sucked...but it was the best I had done in a tournament (I just started this year, and this time I went 4-2 with Flygon ex d). Still...17th REALLY sucked.

well we both got taken out in the T16 we both had close games and if ours wasnt called to time im sure if would've gone to a coin flip.

GJ though and thanks for the great game!

Back