Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Great trip so far...

Articjedi

I just had to say this story, I can tell this to my grandchildren after I finish making up stuff.

I left Seattle at about 5:30 AM, I have short layover in Denver and should arrive at about 4PMish Columbus time. As the plane reaches the runway and is about to take off, the pilot stops and says that a generator blows. Now I know I should count my blessings, but the flight was then delayed 3 hours as they moved the plane BACK to the terminal, then had to get a new plane so we could fly. I ended up in columbus at 7, it wasn't a total loss because I ran into Eeveelover from gym and made a few new friends in the process.

Of course while I'm hanging out with buddies at the convention, we get a tornado warning. Now remember, I live in Seattle, tornados are what happens to Dorothy in the Wizard of Oz. As everyone huddles in the hall way of the convention center, we are in the middle of one of the worst storms I have ever seen, yes this is bad even for a Seattleite. After running through the storm dodging lightning back to the hotel, I start typing this right now. I have to say, and I'm not being sarcastic, it's a pretty exciting trip so far.

Ugh, Matt, I'm sorry all that mess is happening to you guys. You did prereg, right? I would hate for you and Michael to miss the event. =/

Yeah this was one of Columbus's worst storms in a while. Living in Columbus i would know.

Its good to hear that everyone is ok, and that you are ok after your long trip so far, and NAts is still a few days away.

yes, quite a storm. We arrived in Columbus right in the middle of it. Living in Texas for 20 years, I've seen a good number of thunder storms but the lightning as seen from the plane was spectacular. Our plane was descending at dusk and we saw a column of tall, fluffy clouds where lightning would flash in the column. Very neat.
We got a rent car and started driving but had to pull over because we couldn't see. I've not lived where there was a tornado siren so when I heard it I thought it was a police siren. So we were oblivious, sitting in the car as my husband checked us into the hotel at midnight. Anyway, I didn't see any tornadoes but the lightning show was great--it's something we miss now that we're in Oregon. Oregon gets no thunder and lightning to speak of.

It was nice chatting with you ArcticJedi at Nats. Good job at making the top cut!

the 'gym admins were up in 'snore's room on the 11th floor, having a meeting...when i thought i heard thunder. so we opened the curtains and looked, and ended up killing most of the room lights in order to really be able to see the storm. i'd never seen anything like it: we could see the rain, like a cloud of mist, moving closer and closer to us. and the lightning was awesome...

then i started hearing the siren, off and on. we're mainly west and east coast people; we don't KNOW about things like tornado sirens. but i have friends in the midwest who've told me about their weather, so i said yanno, i THINK that might be a tornado siren...so 'snore went online to check the weather and sure enough, tornado warning up for columbus o_O

it was likely NOT a good idea to be up on the 11th floor standing at the windows watching a storm like that...especially when after leaving the room we found that the elevators had been turned off and we had to take the stairs to our respective floors. THEN i got online and was talking with a friend in IL; i described the weather and he said yep, a single-note continuous siren is a tornado warning *facepalms* oops...

to make it even better, the next morning we meet up with 'gym mod heatherdu who lives in columbus, and talked about the storm: she said yeah, we had to grab the kids and head to the basement last night because of the warning o_o o_O @_@

note to self: before the next big events, start a thread so the locals can let the out-of-towners know about things like tornado sirens they may not be familiar with ;)

'mom :)

Back