Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Grumpig CG needs moar love.

The Breeder

I'm talking about the circular stepping Wizpig. I've been going through all the old forgotten series in the hunt for something to build a rogue around for a up-coming Battle Road. GG is kinda common here (surprise?), and you can also see common decks as Empoleon, Garchomp etc here. Basically your standard metagame. I've decided to play something crazy, since I've grown bored of my own GG, and my search stopped at Grumpig from CG.

Could you possibly build a deck around it in order to counter the metagame? With Lake Boundrary it could mess a little for GG's, and the only fearful problem I can see in those matches is Dusknoir techs. Also you could possibly throw in a few Crystal shards to counter Garchomps. Grumpigs built in body protects a little from common pokes as Magmortar/Empoleon/Ho-oh. Circular Steps is actually a pretty decent attack with a call energy set up. It is compatible with both DRE/Scramble.

I just wanna clarify that I'm aware of the highly mediocre HP of Grumpig and the fact that your opponent can adopt their play after Grumpig, i.e less bench means less damage. In your opinion what would be the best pokes to fill up the rest of the deck with. 2-2 Baltoy/Claydol is staple I guess. Probably a few Pachi/Tauros too. Another Stage 1 would be interesting though....cmon people brainstorm the pig needs company :thumb:

>_> I hope I posted in the right forum. I'm technically don't ask you to build a deck, it is more out of a STRATEGY point a view how to counter the metagame.

(this topic is supposed to be a little unserious)

I recall a Xatu/Mismagius/Wizpig deck during CC's here in Holland. Didn't do too hot even against GG because it was just outgunned and constantly OHKO'd for the same amount of NRG the Pig needs too. With that in mind, and the fact that despite its body, it still leaves with only 10 HP from a full powered Empoleon assault, means to me that...

You're better off playing Diddy Kong. He counters Wizpig everytime ;)

i played grumpig at regs and did the worst that i've done all season and lost over 70 points

it's too metagame dependant, you depend on the assumption that your opponent will know what decks are good and what decks arn't, and i played r1 vs a very unexpected matchup, got smeared by a noob, the only semi legit player i got to play all day with a legit deck, donked my baltoy t1, with a togekiss, i even had, claydol, mentor switch in my hand but he flipped a very mighty heads so GG

it's a good card because it's good against all the good decks out there but it has low hp and it loses to all the bad decks out there pretty much everytime, especially if they can't get a bench going because their deck is so bad

this is toddakaesteban btw pheonixback4fire played grumpig and top 16 at the same regs because he didn't have to play any noobletts

me and my friend thought of this idea right before states, and we tried it

theoretically its a GREAT idea, but when you playtest against GG, its a problem

gaardy OHKOs you, so you will usually be behind

we have not tested against magmortar, but theoretically, it should be a BETTER matchup than GG

Trying it with Cess. Crystal might be good if you're up against decks with Dusknoir or up against power/body dependant decks.

Grumpig is an insane card for the metagame.
Too many decks rely on 4-5 benched Pokemon and dealing 110 for 3 energy is insane when you can use Scramble/DRE.
Not only that but it can also use its body against Empoleon.

Good card, but it's always risky playing a card that relies on your opponent.

terrible HP prevents this from being much of a good card, IMO. 80 just doesn't cut it in an environment of 130+ HP'ers.

Grumpig was actually a great counter to last year's meta game:

I played Grumpig with Dusclops(CG)/Dusknoir at the grind last year at Worlds. The CG Dusclops has an anti-ex attack (Psychic Guard - takes no damage from ex's) to counter all the ex's, while the Pig was there to help counter all the Empoleons and Infernapes. Dusknoir was just a good tech/cleanup card. It worked OK - I ended up 17th overall in the grind - and it was definitely fun to play. Unfortunately, Grumpig's hit points were just too low.

The low HP is definitely a problem...when Gallade only has to flip 1 or 2 over to kill your main attacker it's a problem. And a Plox 1hits you too.

Against Mag/Emp/Skittles, you have a little more leeway. It seems pretty good against them IMO.

@Tentacruel: Grumpig's body gets shut off by Cess Crystal too, and that's part of the reason it's even considerable.

Back