Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Gyrados from Legendary Treasures: Could this deck work?

pokedan24

It has the howling rampage attack: for 2 energy (WC), it does 20 for each prize each player has taken. Early game, this is useless since no prizes have been taken, but late game, it can do up to 200 damage for just 2 energy. An idea I've been toying with uses Cofagrigus (PF) to knock it's self out, giving an opponent a prize, but increasing Gyarados's attack and putting damage on the board. We've seen similar combos using Shaymin EX and the Team Plasma Flareon. Gyarados doesn't do as much initial damage, but benefits from either player taking prizes. It needs another attacker (I'm thinking either Kyurem PF or Empoleon), but since stage 1 and 2 decks don't completely suck now, maybe something like this could stand a chance.

Only downside is 30HP magicarp. That would be painful to start with.

It has the howling rampage attack: for 2 energy (WC), it does 20 for each prize each player has taken. Early game, this is useless since no prizes have been taken, but late game, it can do up to 200 damage for just 2 energy. An idea I've been toying with uses Cofagrigus (PF) to knock it's self out, giving an opponent a prize, but increasing Gyarados's attack and putting damage on the board. We've seen similar combos using Shaymin EX and the Team Plasma Flareon. Gyarados doesn't do as much initial damage, but benefits from either player taking prizes. It needs another attacker (I'm thinking either Kyurem PF or Empoleon), but since stage 1 and 2 decks don't completely suck now, maybe something like this could stand a chance.

Only downside is 30HP magicarp. That would be painful to start with.

So....what if gyarados is knocked out

The deck seems a bit tricky, since to maximize damage you need to take some prizes quickly too, and you already mentioned the Magikarp issue. There is Ditto, but I still have trouble visualizing early game success. I suppose you can setup Gyarados with Blastoise for it's second attack, but then Keldeo is more efficient. Gyarados does have nice HP for a non-ex and also simply being non-ex, but the extra prizes from an ex may help boost Gyarados attack quickly. I do feel that Cofagrigus might be too risky though.

Send up another one?

Lets say: You use cofagrigus 4x times. Opponent has 2 prizes left

Gyarados, I choose you! Bam, EX ko'd! You got 4.

Opponent: EX pokemon use ___! 1 prize left

No gyarados ready! Even if ready, opponent has won. I think Lucario/Shaymin is better prize revenge.

Gyarados caught my eye, but almost as quickly disqualified itself.

Non-wall of text reasoning is that it doesn't do enough for the cost and risks of running it. Four Prizes total need to be taken before it hits the "2HKO of Pokémon-EX" range under its own power, and if we start adding in other things to hit that level... I'd run something else because I know there are plenty of attackers that do hit that level to which I can then add whatever I would be doing to boost the damage from Howling Rampage.

This is a format of OHKOs and 2HKOs. Reaching OHKO level only works if you are doing so without putting yourself at the risk of losing the game. While Lugia EX isn't a huge threat, if you did the described combo with Cofagrigus, you would have to use your one attack to destroy any hope of your opponent getting a single attack off... because Lugia EX boosted by Deoxys EX can OHKO Gyarados for two Prizes and thus the game. Too obscure? Everything else just needs to KO two Gyarados. It won't matter if Gyarados is taking two Prizes with each shot when most decks can push for two OHKOs to still win over the next two turns.

If we get some better ways to KO one's own Pokémon for gain (Cofagrigus offers a mere pittance) and/or make use of being down in Prizes, this can easily change... or if there is something similar to Life Dew released that isn't as restricted/allows you to spam Life Dew.

I think Lucario/Shaymin is better prize revenge.

Won't argue there. Those two are pretty powerful. I've had success with Lucario myself.

Still, I think there is at least some potential for something creative. Even if it isn't the star of the deck, it could be a very powerful finisher late game. If I ever get my internet fixed, I might try an Empoleon/Cofagrigus/Gyarados deck on PTCGO. It can't be THAT bad.

Won't argue there. Those two are pretty powerful. I've had success with Lucario myself.

Still, I think there is at least some potential for something creative. Even if it isn't the star of the deck, it could be a very powerful finisher late game. If I ever get my internet fixed, I might try an Empoleon/Cofagrigus/Gyarados deck on PTCGO. It can't be THAT bad.

Depends upon what you're looking for; it certainly does "something" other than be a vanilla attacker. Your best bet might be in Unlimited if you are just strictly looking for a way to use this particular card.

Gyrados w/ a bangle + 3 prizes taken 2HKOs EXs. The idea of softening up your opponent with Plasma Kyurem seems good.

You would definitely need to run Mr. Mime to protect the magikarp though.

Thought of another idea.

Gyarados/Cofagrigus/Greninja (upcoming X and Y). Use Greninja (attack and ability) and Cofagrigus early on to inflict damage and take some early prizes. Both you and your opponent should get prizes, each of which powers up Gyarados. When enough prizes are taken, Gyarados can sweep for just two energy. With all the fancy ways you're doing damage (and silver bangle for those EXes), you could probably get away with 5 or 6 prizes taken for Gyarados to sweep.

It's probably easier said than done, but at the very least, you have some interesting ways of inflicting damage.

Back