Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Handicapped players playing Pokemon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jason

Hiya'll. I am curious about how many handicapped players that play pokemon in your are.

Handicapped as in whoever have either hearing, vision, intellectual, physical or speech issues.

So yeah, at my league, there is:

Me (who's hearing/vision)
Two other deaf people
And one intellectual handicapped people.

At another league in Australia, there is a few more intellectual... And yeah that would be about all in Australia :p

It would be nice to know about whats in your area. Cauz it would be interesting to find or know more deaf or vision-handicapped players that play pokemon ;P

Cheers.

my brother who was in a wheelchair because he had muscular atrophy and a scoliosis used to play. he was really good!

I know several regulars who have Autistic Spectrum Disorders. (Both high and low function).

One local player who has now stopped has very poor eyesight. He could only read the cards by peering very closely. (We lose a lot of players with the transition from junior to high school, he was one that we lost.)

I actually have 3 regulars at my league with differing amounts of developmentally-challengedness. One of the boys is quite the fierce competitor, and can hold his own with even the toughest players, but has a tough time speaking. One of the boys seems completely normal in most respects, and can carry on a conversation without any problems but has problems understanding certain concepts, and another seems to have the mind of an eight year old - though he's well into his 20's. All 3 of them are well received at our league by everyone. They have a good time playing, and we have just as good of time playing cards with them. Occasionally one of the friends of the second fellow shows up, who is also handicapped in speech, but that's a very rare occasion. So I guess you can say I know of 4 in our league, but one is a very irregular player.

Nickolas, You can play any time you like buddy. I started out as a collector of cards with my son and daughter, and didn't know how to play the game. Now I'm a Premier Tournament Organizer. You never really stop collecting if you play. You just keep collecting as you play. Believe me, it's more rewarding and fun if you do.

oh ok i'll keep that in mind but i don't know where to play in Australia.

I only just bought my first 3 platinium packets today and bought the Rebellion deck and Flourish deck also.

i hardly know anything about deckbuilding

i am currently looking at other poeples deck and taking ideas to building a deck. i am thinking about making a beautifly/dustox/cherrium deck type thing. but i still have to idea on deckbuilding.

why do people have 4 weedles and 4 beedrills but only 2 kakunas?

Probably because they have rare candy in their deck. However we're getting off topic a bit here. If you have questions like these, it's best to bring them to the Cards forum section, just to get a bit more help. In the meantime, does anyone else know of any handicapped players?

1. I belive the correct term to use is disabled and not handicapped.

2. There are a few European players with different disabilities and to follow the spirit of the game, I believe every thing should be done to welcome these players and accomodating for their needs.

I have some hearing loss, not deaf or anything thing though. Thankfully opponents sit what, about 2 feet apart lol.

Moderator Note -

This thread is not a joke thread. Already, folks have put some nasty stuff in here - those have been addressed. Keep it clean.

Making fun of / light of disabled/handicapped folks is an offense worthy of an infraction.

Thank you

A couple of the professors here in utah know ASL (American Sign Language). They often spend their time with people with all sorts of special needs teaching them how to play.

They also are volunteers at worlds and offer their services to people who are deaf,blind etc.

Now over the years there have been several people who play pokemon in my area who have special needs. they mainly just play Pokemon just for fun.

last year @ US Nats (as HJ), I had a JR player that had hearing loss in one ear in top cuts along with another that is diabetic. I made sure the judges were aware of both issues and that they knew how/what to do to facilitate their games in the proper way.

I had the opportunity to meet a nice young lady at the VA regionals that plays with one hand (she uses a card holder). She plays well and is in the SR division.

At many tourneys we will see someone that has an injury to deal with and they may have a cast on, in a wheelchair or anywhere that Orion Craig goes to! LOL Sorry Orion, but you are accident prone! The staff always makes sure they are taken care of as in seating in the same location, etc. Pokemon TCG has always welcomed all types of players. Over the years, I have seen the autistic, the physically challenged, the emotionally challenged. Some are more high functioning than others.

Keith

I know several regulars who have Autistic Spectrum Disorders. (Both high and low function).

I happen to have that myself. Its pretty annoying but at least I have managed to deal with it to an extent. I also know a few ADHD'ers in my league, and the odd dyslectic. Thats about all I know for sure though.

Now I'm a Premier Tournament Organizer.
I am still in shock!

Nickolas, talk to Jason about building an easy to learn deck and he should be able to help you with some locations to play also.

Jason, When you have decided on a simple deck for Nick, send me over a list of the hard to get cards and I will send them to you (in that Ho-Oh Lugia folder you still want, you keep the folder for helping :wink:).

Cheers

Mozz

AvMozz, its a MEW folder that I want.
As well as a few JP Mew cards... That Lugia Hooh folder was a want of mine back in 2005 but doesnt want it any more.

I'll send you the list ASAP, and I'll do my best to help a fellow deaf person (Just sent him a PM like a minute ago).

1. I belive the correct term to use is disabled and not handicapped.

2. There are a few European players with different disabilities and to follow the spirit of the game, I believe every thing should be done to welcome these players and accomodating for their needs.
I think that's where you and I disagree. The persons I'm talking about in my league are not disabled. They can speak, so in that way they are not disabled - just handicapped a bit. They are not developmentally disabled. They can and do show some development, but are slightly handicapped. If that is the new buzzword to describe people who show this frailty, I'm not liking it. To me *handicapped* does not equal disabled. They are able, and show it to me every time I see them. I have more problems with those who are not handicapped.

Yes, I agree with you though that everything possible should be done to welcome these players and accomodate their needs.

EDIT: yeah, 'mozz, believe it or not, it shocked me too!

well i have Asperger (wich is a type of autism) i it counts as a handicap?
other than that i don't think there is any handicap on my League.
or we have a Cousin of a blind guy ;P

P.S. Satoshi Tajiri is also said to have Asperger Syndrome ;)

We agree and yet we do not use the same terminology. I belive that the politically correct term these days is disabled. This does not mean that the person is not able to function independantly nor does it mean that they are so severely disabled that they cannot play pokemon. It covers a wide range of disabilities. Sorry I didn't decide this. The decision was actually made after a lot of pressure from different interest groups trying to defend the rights amd equal treatment of the disabled.

My son is going to play nationals on 16th May and he sufferes from a severe pathology which at times leaves him disabled. He has been extremely ill over the past many months but he is finally making some progress although he still has a very long way to go. I am not entirely sure that his health will allow him to play nationals but he should be given the opportunity.

However, it has been decided to hold nationals at a venue where there are no toilet facilities for disabled players, the playing area is downstairs (in the basement) with no lift, only a very steep and narrow stair case. The result of this is that my son would have to play upstairs isolated from the other players and thus missing out on a big part of the day, namely the social contact and the "buzz". And he would have to drink as little as possible so he won't need the restroom or I'll have to get a few of the older players to help him to the toilet - very dignified!

But the worst bit is, that the upstairs area of the venue is a very busy place with lots of people coming and going, lots of noise, people playing violent pc games and worst of all SMOKING IS ALLOWED! Although it is prohibited by law. Btw, the law is also very clear on equal opportunities for the disabled and the necessary requirements concerning disability access etc. Seems they haven't read it.

I have informed the organiser of the problem but I have not yet heard anything about them changing the venue. I find the whole situation unacceptable. Naturally I have a choice..... either refuse my son to play nationals or let him sit in a smelly, noisy, smokefilled area for the entire day, which would cause even more damage to his already fragile health.

Sorry to bore you all with these rather personal details and problems but I find the situation very frustrating.

No doubt, most of the Europeans have guess by now who I am and I shall probably be even more unpopular than before - some people don't deal well with the fact that I speak my mind. I don't really care that they think I'm a nuisance - my son and his health are my main concerns..... that, and providing the best team of translators ever at worlds!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back