Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Has anyone made good use of Torkoal?

Here is a standard MS

Torkoal@leftovers/chesto
Body Slam
Curse
Amnesia/ Flamethrower
Rest

If your a EV trainer I would go with: HP 252 SP.ATK 252 ATK 6, but that's entirely up to you.

Something like that is what I planned for my Torkoal too. It is basically a Curselax, Flame Turtle style. Though also consider Earthquake for Flame Thower/Amnesia. And only max out Sp At if you use Flamethrower... if you dont use it, you are wasting your time...

Here's what I was thinking:

Body Slam
Curse
Flamethrower
Fire Blast

What I really need is fire moves, so if this is good for that purpse, please say so.

If it is for in game, then your moveset is fine, except I would still find something for Fireblast.... Rest if it is for Multi playing/battling. Try out Equake, or another physical move to go along with Curse

with the same Type nature, Torkoal has the same potentiial in AT and Sp At. Get one that is the Nature is +Sp At, -Speed. With curse, and the fact he isnt fast anyways, it wont hurt. Sides you have Body Slam for Paralisys which will usually make you faster than the opponent. If you dont give it Flamethrower, or other Fire Attack, go +At, -Sp At (Adament I believe)

Last edited:
Fire Blast has too little PP and misses a lot, so it isn't a really good choice. Even though it does 20 less damage, you might want to look into Heat Wave, or Overheat if you have maxed-out SA.
My 2 1/2 cents.
HOA69

no Torkoal is better left as a tank.
Torkoal@chesto or lefties,white herb
sassy//white smoke
Curse
Amnesia
Rest/Overheat
Body Slam/Return-there,and how do i make threads?

Ok, here's what I have now:

Torkoal-Leftovers
Body Slam
Curse
Flamethrower
Rest/Earthquake

Please tell me, is Torkoal one of those that are really good in the HP and/or Defense area? If so, I will opt for rest.

As I recall, Torkoal can't get Earthquake, but Numel/Camerupt can.
Anyways, this is my suggestion - what I do when I use Torkoal.

Torkoal @ Quick Claw
Curse
FireSpin
Flamethrower
Iron Tail

You'll notice that you're strong against Rock types, but still weak against Water types - but if that's a problem, try swapping moves about like this:-

IronTail->Sludge Bomb
Curse->Amnesia

This will mean you have a 30% chance of poison with SludgeBomb, then you trap them with FireSpin. The only types that can't be poisoned are Steel and Poison - Steel is weak to fire, and most poison-types don't have huge stats anyway, with the possible exception of Weezing. However, Weezing only has an average level of SpDef, so that's not a big problem.

Finally, if you really can't conceive using FireSpin, just swap it for Protect - works well against pokemon who use Dig/Fly/Solarbeam/SkullBash, etc.

Either set seems to work well. The Quick Claw has that chance of getting past it's low speed, (and the Curse problem), and that's why I favour it over the other Hold Items.

Back