Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

having prblems with gengar plz help

rkomarco

at the moment i am using FGD (flygon gardy and dusky) and im having alot os sucess with the deck and really enjoy it. But gengar that thing keeps getting in the way.

I need help in a counter stategy to win over gengar and duskgar, i am thinking on using extra warp points, ts2 devoluter, nidoqueen what do u think please post your oppinions

Run 2 Unown G. If Duskgar is HUGE in your area, consider running 3 even.

Use Claydol to cycle Trainers you can't play out of your hand, making Poltergeist less of a problem.

Try and Dark Palm their Queens.

Devoluter is a good solution to Queens that have been evolved with Candy. Plus it avoids Fainting Spell.

Ditto is a great anti-Gengar tech. You copy Shadow Room to 2HKO Gengars without Unown G. Even if they get the flip for the stupid Fainting Spell, you only lose a Basic while they lose a Stage 2.

thanks baby mario, any more sugestions? and how to deal with gengar lvx i know ditto is a good option but anything else?

Back to back posts merged. The following information has been added:

anyone else wants to contribute? xd

Last edited:
One thing you have to understand, is that you are bound to have a bad match up somewhere down the line. If there are only a few Gengar in your area, I wouldn't even worry about it.

Run 2 Unown G. If Duskgar is HUGE in your area, consider running 3 even.

Use Claydol to cycle Trainers you can't play out of your hand, making Poltergeist less of a problem.

Try and Dark Palm their Queens.

Devoluter is a good solution to Queens that have been evolved with Candy. Plus it avoids Fainting Spell.

Ditto is a great anti-Gengar tech. You copy Shadow Room to 2HKO Gengars without Unown G. Even if they get the flip for the stupid Fainting Spell, you only lose a Basic while they lose a Stage 2.

Ditto is a great tech, although it's even better than baby mario explained it because it won't activate Fainting Spell as long as it is using Shadow Room, which is all that it should ever be using against Gengar (even if you can't hit the active due to Unown G; hit Claydol or Uxie or something else).

If you can Dark Palm their Nidoqueen, you will be able to set up slow (3-turn) KOs with Uxie's Psychic Restore. What you would do is hit them with Power Swing, then Sand Wall, then Psychic Restore for the KO, returning Uxie to the bottom of your deck. You could use Telepass to constantly bring it back into play (copy their Roseanne's or Bebe's) so you can do this over and over. If you Guard Gardevoir and Flygon, it should be hard for your opponent to do much; let Claydol get KOed, and Dusknoir, and whatever else. You can still regulate your trainers with Telepass, especially if they play a Looker's against you. Then, you can use it and just draw cards until you hit 1 trainer, and stop. You can also repeatedly Telepass Bebe's to put a trainer card from your hand back into your deck (and fail the search, if you want).

You could also just go aggressive and let them flip for Fainting Spell. It's dangerous, but sometimes necessary.

I have to say that Gengar is a huge threat to non-Weavile Flygon builds. However, running Dusknoir to eliminate Queen and Claydol is really beneficial. In fact, I would say your best bet is probably to up your Warp Point count to screw them if they bring Queen active.

Without a large bench, Gengar hurts, and Dusknoir denies them that bench.

I would say palming their queens and running 1-2 Ditto are your best options. Ditto will outdamage them. However, you'll need to identify the matchup early and focus on getting Dittos into play because all of your Pokemon except Flygon have powers that just beg for Shadow Room.

Additional Unown G's, Devoluters, and Skuntank G are universal techs that almost any deck can use against Gengar. Most can use Ditto too, as has been said. Most players don't expect Devoluters, and a KO with it may be all you need to get ahead for the game. I always try 2 Unown G and 2 Devoluters in a deck before considering anything else for Gengar match-ups.

Dusknoir Lv. X shouldn't be hard to play around. Just watch your bench for Dark Palms (Which is hard, but possible in a Flygon deck). Wait for them to Level Up, Warp Point them, and Extreme Attack for the KO and you avoid ectoplasm. Extreme Attack --> Psychic Restore/Poison Damage on Gengar Lv. X is another method to get around Fainting Spell (Just don't Warp Point, keep Gengar active to take advantage of its resistance and leave it at 130), and try to keep Nidoqueen off the field with Dark Palm. Extreme Attack is great with Skuntank G, you should drop Gengar Lv. X without a Fainting Spell every time.

If you get really desperate, and you really expect to play a ton of Gengars/Dusknoirs... consider a 1-1 Weavile SW (Keep it Guard'd, and Dark Engage + Psychic Restore is brutal) or 1-0-1 Ampharos PL (Just make sure you Guard up with Unown G before you play it) in addition to 3 Unown G's. But otherwise don't bother, Ampharos is sorta redundant in any other match-up because Gardevoir already stops powers and nothing else is really weak to Darkness.

Last edited:
Well, you're probably using Rare Candies and BTS in your Flygon build so...

(and this is a little radicle...)

How about a 1-0-1 Ampharos PL tech?

Shuts down their fainting spells, Gengar X power, and Claydols.

^ Problem is Devoluter can't be used on Lv. X's, so you really have to set up either Uxie or poison plays with Flygon's Extreme Attack =/

since youre running psychic energy anyway might I suggest a ditto tech? it should help your matchup with gengar at least by 10 points out of 100

the other thing you can try to do is mill anyway the gengars deck and just guard stuff so he is forced to do poltergeist for almost nothing
if you have queen out you should take almost no damage

Back