Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Hawai'i States first place report: Spiritomb is the best card EVER!

Garch

<a href="http://pokegym.net/forums/showpost.php?p=
I was playing Cursegar, and had made a few changes in the past week that I wasn't sure about, so I was kinda nervous about how my deck would perform. Normal morning, nothing to see here. Get to the place about 40 min early, regester, and talk with friends. Round one comes up and the tournament begins.

Round one:
Kenton A. (me) cursegar Vs. Patrick M. with Random Dark deck

I get a fair start, and set up behind a Gengar SF. His deck was to slow to stop me from getting going, and I sweep easily. He might have taken one prize.

1-0

Round 2
Vs. Jason P. with Random electric deck.

We both take our time setting up, and he gets an Electivire SW out with 3 energy on it, while I get my cursegar set up. He tries to blow up my tomb, but only hits one heads. Again, I start sweeping. I shadow skip to my Mr. Mime because he doesn't have enough energy to hit it, but he pulls of a crazy lucky 4 heads in a row with thundershock form electibuzz, doing no damage but paralizing my Mr. mime. -.- It didn't help that I couldn't hit a warp point/warp energy to pull out of it. In this time he gets an Electivire with 4 energy and 60 damage from an earlier shadow skip set up. He finally hits tails and I bring in Gengar X, Curse a counter from his buzz to his vire, and use compound pain to take out the 4 energy monster. He then thundershock heads for another few turns -.- and the turn he stops I hit a warp point. >.< I just sweep him from here.

2-0

Round 3
Vs. Spencer H. with Glaceon/Nidoqueen

He knows me well and is confidant that he'll lose to me. XD Don't remember it to well. Mr. mime worked well though, stalling against an early Nidoqueen. Power lock was very annoying, but I got set up before it hit and 2HKOed his Glaceon X. Dusknoir proved usefull here, getting rid of a Nidoqueen IIRC. At one point, I use azelf to lock up a nidoran for a while, since weakness wound eventually KO it. I used double curse to get the 20 of the 30 damage from the nidoran to his Glaceon. When his Nidoran has 50 on it and I had one more turn of curse locking to do, he droped a rainbow energy on his Nidoran to KO it. I thought that was a very inventive way to get rid of a useless active. It doesn't help him enough, though, and I continue to win. I learned one important thing here: Nidoqueen is very annoying for cursegar.

3-0

Since there were only 5 Seniors, there division is done, and my brother has won Seniors. Wasn't much doubt, as the seniors here are no competition. XD

Round 4
Vs. ??? with Donphan

Mr. mime was awesome. I set up behind a tomb, and when he starts powering up a lone donphan on his 4 pokemon bench down comes Dusknoir to palm it away, crippling his start and limiting his bench to 3 for the rest of the game. I get the skip cycle going fast and am able to counter the swarm of Donphans with Mr. Mime's awesome wall of airy. He powers up a donphan with 2 energys so I use shadow skip, putting it to 90, and swithing in Gengar SF. He uses an Expert belt on his phan to oneshot the gengar, and I miss the fainting spell heads, which doesn't matter much as I KO it next turn with a belted Skip. After KOing the 3 energy phan he can't get enough energy on another one to hit my Mime. He tries to warp through the mime lock a few times, but he can never KO what I send up. Mr. mime and Dusknoir win the game.

4-0

So I'm guarantieed top 4! There are going to be 3 4-1's and 1 5-0 and I already know my next opponent. He donked his last to opponents, so I'm hoping I at least set up.

Round 5
Vs. Yasuharu I. with Luxchomp
I go first a call energy for something and tomb, and have a baltoy on my bench. His only turn he gets to use trainers, and all he does is call energy on his Luxray for to Garchomps. For the ENTIRE rest of the game, Spiritomb is my only active during his turn. He KOed 2-3, but they just kept coming back, over and over. Since he never gets to use trainers, and he can't get his Luxray X (don't know why) I sweep 3-0 prizes. SPIRITOMB IS AWESOME!!!

So I'm 5-0, 1st (duh), and top 4. After having to re-sleeve and talking to a few friends, the PTO has the top 4 over for a picture. After that, we start the top 4 games.

Top cut Round one
Vs. Bronson B. with Magmortar/Typhlosion Prime/Ninetails
Game 1:
This deck is actually good (lol) We both start setting up, and my Dusknoir kills his start (as usual) and I start Shadow skipping all over him. He get's a magmortar out, but it goes down fast. An easy sweep.

1-0

Game 2:
Since he gets to decide who goes first, he choses me... and that kills my start. Not getting to play my Roseanne T1 was killer. He starts setting up a Magmortar, and is wary of my dusknoir. He tries very hard to take out my Gengar, getting 140 on it (Expert belt, FTW) but is unable to finish it. At one point, I Level down his mortar, but he pulls it out with a premire ball right a way... *wishes he had a tomb active* At another point, when he was trying to KO my Gengar, he tries to use Flame Bluster twice in a row, but he didn't know about the small phrase" Magmortar can not use Flame Bluster next turn". I wonder how he went 4-1 without knowing that... At the very end, he droped a Gastly and freaked me out because I thought he was going to candy, Gar, room Gengar down, but he didn't have the candy. I drop a Tmob and skip to it so he can't candy for the one turn I need to win.

2-0

So I'm on to top 2! 3rd and 4th are Koden T with Shuppet lock and Bronson B, who I just played. Shuppet lock is evil. It uses every lock pokemon ever. Mr. Mime, Shedinja, Shuckle, Tomb (the best card ever), Relicanth, Dunsparce for Garchomps, Starmie for Mewtwos... Yeah, more tech than Shuppet. It's evil.

Top cut round 2
Vs. Yasuharu I. with Luxchomp

Game 1:
It was very much like the swiss round. Just tomb locking forever. Tomb is soooo goooood

1-0

Game 2:
This game was recorded and posted on youtube in 3 parts, each about 10 min long:

Part 1:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHdPmXBT9u8&feature=player_embedded
Part 2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=namqtxDVeZU&feature=player_embedded
Part 3:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPLmgrzEiic&feature=player_embedded

This was the best game all day. He took out my early haunter with Garchomp X snipe, which was very annoying. He tries VERY hard to take out my Gengar, and with all his attacks he gets TEN damage away. Luxray pulled him out of tomb lock quite a few times. It did not look good for me at all, but he just couldn't take out the Gengar. at one time he bright looked it up, THEN hit it with Dragon rush. Resistance put me TEN away. He forgot about resistane. The game would have turned out VERY different if he had taken down the Gengar. near the end, when it was still up in the air, I drop a TGW, and we have 3 ties before I win. He got nothing, I take out all his good pokemon in 2 turns. His Garchomp X has 80 on it, and I level down it for the KO. I warp point, and he sends out Luxray X because he figures it will survive. I curse one damage onto it and KO it. With a 4 card hand, a Uxie and 2 Crobats, he scoops because there's nothing he can do. Tomb was one of the most important cards in this game. Again. BEST. CARD. EVER.

Here's my winning list:

Pokemon:25
1 Gengar Lv.X
2 Gengar AR
1 Gengar SF
2 Haunter SF
4 Gastly SF
1 DUSKNOIR
1 Duskul SH2
2 Claydol
2 Baltoy
3 SPIRITOMB!!!
2 Mr. Mime
1 Uxie
1 Azelf
1 Unown G
1 Unown Q

Trainers:24
4 Bebe's
4 Roseanne's
3 Rare Candy
2 Professer Elm's
2 Team Galactic's Wager
2 Moonlight Stadium
2 Expert Belt
2 Night Maintenance
2 Warp point
1 Luxury ball

Energy:
2 Call
2 Warp
7 Psy

Props:
7-0
Undefeated
My bro winning seniors
SPIRITOMB
GARCHOMP TROPHY!!!
Spiritomb
Gengar
Mr. Mime
Dusknoir
Spiritomb
Winning a box
$300

Wait... you can only get the $300 AT nats, right? What could this mean? Well, since Jarrett also won, and an airline owes us money for a fail flight here (XD) THERE IS A CHANCE THAT WE COULD BE AT NATIONALS THIS YEAR!!!!!!!!!! :eek: :eek: :biggrin: YAY!!!!! It's not 100% yet, but with this the chance got a lot higher.

Slops:
The 4th place senior can't stop saying "I won a trophy!". Seriously, that's ALL he said after he got it.
After the tournament our car wouldn't start, and we were sitting in an hour max parking spot... Luckilly, we eventually got it started...But we sat there for 30~40 min...

As you can see, Tomb is the best card ever.

This concludes my report. Thanks for reading, see everyone at Nats/Worlds! :biggrin:

Last edited:
^Not awful, rather annoying.

Congratz, sir! I know how it feels overwhelming your opponents with CurseGar :D

Nice job on 1st!!! Now go use your travel allowance towards getting a new battery/a Toyota Corolla/Honda Civic/*insert other dependable car here*

Thanks for sharing your list as well.

Hey, congrats, Kenton!! I called this one, like, 3 weeks ago, right!!! The Garchomp trophy kind of made it....... destiny!? Don't know how far the $300.00 will get you toward Indy (that's like, lunch, in HI, right??) but I do hope we'll see ya there. You'll always be a VA/MD player to us!!

Last edited:
Nice, Cursegar sweepage is always amazing. :D

The winning list is pretty cool, Warp Energy is really nice. I myself wouldn't use less than four Call Energy, but apparently it worked out for you.

Cursegar is the BDIF, and Spiritomb is the BCIF. Congrats on winning with them. Hopefully you can make it to nats. Good job, man.

when he was trying to KO my Gengar, he tries to use Flame Bluster twice in a row, but he didn't know about the small phrase" Magmortar can not use Flame Bluster next turn". I wonder how he went 4-1 without knowing that...
I think that's a question we don't want to know the answer to.

It did not look good for me at all, but he just couldn't take out the Gengar. at one time he bright looked it up, THEN hit it with Dragon rush. Resistance put me TEN away. He forgot about resistane. The game would have turned out VERY different if he had taken down the Gengar.
Why didn't he attack it on the bench?

Great job on the family stronghold of seniors and masters in Hawaii. Hope to see you at Nats.

I'm surprised DarthPika has yet to complain about how the Hawaii metagame is so much more difficult than VA/MD's metagame? :rolleyes: :lol: :nonono:

Good job Kenton!:thumb:Way to bring home the Garchomp trophy!

Congrats to your brother as well.

......Hope we see you at Nats.:cool:

Javier

How awful that he was excited to have received a trophy.
No, it's nice he got a trophy, it's just how he was in everyones face yelling it as if he had worked crazy hard for it. He went 2-1, beating a really new player and a really new junior. Very annoying.

Hey, congrats, Kenton!! I called this one, like, 3 weeks ago, right!!! The Garchomp trophy kind of made it....... destiny!? Don't know how far the $300.00 will get you toward Indy (that's like, lunch, in HI, right??) but I do hope we'll see ya there. You'll always be a VA/MD player to us!!
Yes, the Garchomp trophy must have done it, lol. And $300, + Jarrett's $300, + What the airline owes us = over $1000.

Why didn't he attack it on the bench?
He wasn't sure he was going to be able to use Dragon rush so he pulled it up to get a clean shot at it. When he found he could, he decided to, forgetting about resistance.

@ Everyone else, Thank you,hope to see a few of you at nats/worlds.

Last edited:
No

Cursegar is the BDIF, and Spiritomb is the BCIF. Congrats on winning with them. Hopefully you can make it to nats. Good job, man.

i seem to not understand this do you mean cursegar is the best deck in your meta game? or world wide? because here in New England the meta game is dominated by Luxchomp and gyrados so i believe you stand wrong (unless you ment just your meta game)

and spiritomb in the BCIF i still wonder if you are referring to your meta game or world wide because yet again it doesn't have much effect here in New England

YAY!!! Yea, you know I was rooting for you. If I had a Spiritomb, I would have constructed a completely different deck. But I did the best I could with the cards I had. Well played all around. I wish you the best of luck in Nats. Keep us posted here in Hawaii!!

i seem to not understand this do you mean cursegar is the best deck in your meta game? or world wide? because here in New England the meta game is dominated by Luxchomp and gyrados so i believe you stand wrong (unless you ment just your meta game)

and spiritomb in the BCIF i still wonder if you are referring to your meta game or world wide because yet again it doesn't have much effect here in New England

I meant more or less for the American metagame, I can't really speak for international players just because they play so differently than us Americans. They tech their decks quite differently then we do, and as such my Cursegar is probably a lot different then your Cursegar.

hehe

i do not play cursegar and well all i know for the american meta game is that in New England its does not have any impact any longer it did then it became out dated and slow so i guess for the rest of north america it may but not here as for world wide what do you mean they tech there decks diferntley? for example

what other luxray GL X counter is there besides mankey and promo corak?
what other great draw engines are there besides uxie and claydol? (and that ninetals in you use it :p)
how else would you set up fast without call energy roseannes research and pokemon collector?

im just simply pointing out that other people world wide not in north america cant tech there decks that much differently is all

well, a few things:

1. congrats to hawaii for having an SPT!
2. good job to the staff and player base for constituting the tournament
3. congrats to winning said tournament

Tournament Rules said:
Both players each make a fist with one hand, and hold the other hand open, palm up.
Both players tap their fists on their open palms simultaneously, four times, displaying​
their choice of Rock, Paper, or Scissors on the 4th tap.
In other words, it is "1, 2, 3, shoot," not "1, 2, shoot." :wink:

Back