Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

HELP A low budget- rayboar deck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like most people, I cant afford to keep on buying expensive single cards or buy booster boxes and hope to get lucky by getting the card you need to finish your deck. So, I decided that I could buy the Emboar line and then just use my collection and my knowledge. I have to admit it isn't the best deck out there or the cheapest. Despite all that,I think I am beginning to have a rather consistent Rayboar deck. This is the deck;

Pokemon: 17
2x Emolga
4x Tepig
1x Pignite
3x Emboar
1x Sigilyph (safeguard)
2x Rehiram
1x Mewtwo EX
3x Rayquaza EX

Trainers; 29
4x Juniper
3x N
2x Cilan
3x Energy Retrival
3x SER
4x Rare candy
4x Catcher
2x Heavy Ball
2x Ultra Ball
2x Switch

Energy; 14
4x Lightning
10x Fire

=60 (I think)

The strategy is simple. Get an Emboar (hopefully turn 2) and put the neccesary number of energy onto rayquaza to knock out pokemon. Rehiram would be used to knock out Genesects and Virizions. Mewtwo is used as a back up plan. Sigilyph is used for just stalling while you get set up.

With 4 Juniper and 3 N, you will draw dead a lot. I would suggest you drop Sigilyph and Cilan and go with +1 N and 2 random receivers or 2 Colress. You will draw into the energy you need, but you first must draw.

Looking at the list I would:

Pokemon
-1 Mewtwo EX - Don't feel this fits in the deck, but it's your call
-2 Emolga - T1 attacks on dead now and with this deck you want to go first
-1 Sigilyph - I don't think this card is needed, since you can't attack with it

+2 Electrode PLF - Instead of Tropical Beach
+2 Voltorb PLF - Higher HP than BCR one

Trainers
+1 N
+1 Ultra Ball
+1 Energy Search

-1 Cilan

Energy
-1 Lightning
-1 Fire

This is what I think so far. I have currently been trying RayBoar and SER and Energy Retrieval probably need to be a 4/1 split as you want to constantly retrieve fire energy from the discard.

I honestly love both your ideas. There is only 1 problem. My collection is very limited. Despite that, once I get the cards (somehow) I will put in those cards. p.s Thank you for the quick response.

From my experience in running/playtesting against RayBoar, I'd suggest you consider:

• Adding 1-2 Stadiums to counter an opponent's Frozen City. Frozen City, although could help your Reshiram's Outrage attack, would be a disadvantage when you Inferno Fandango energy onto Ray EX (you could replace 1 ER and 1 Cilan).
  • Also, consider adding a Bouffalant (Bouffer) to replace a Fire energy. When you play against Blastoise, the "smart" Blastoise player would primarily use his/her Keldeo EX as the "main" attacker in order to 1HKO your Fire Poké and try to bait you to expose your Ray EX which BKEX easily 1HKOs. In an exchange of prizes, Blastoise has the edge with the Keldeo EXs. You could also add a "baby" Rayquaza (Shred) to also "level the playing field". Lastly, Mewtwo EX is fantastic in this match-up too.
  • Although you have 4 Pokémon Catcher, those may not always provide consistent results. So, you may find it useful to replace 2 PCs with additional card-drawing supporter as FunnyBear suggested.
  • Just out of curiosity, have you tried Kangaskhan (100 HP) that has a Call for Family attack (for C energy cost)? Although it does not have free retreat, like Emolga, it usually provides me with 2 Calls for Family vs. the "typical" 1 from Emolga which is more easily 1HKOd. I'd suggest replacing both Emolgas and even a Tepig for 3 Kangaskhan.

To be honest I think Emolga is better because I would get set up and then Emolga would get knocked out which if you think about it isn't such a bad thing because if Emolga gets knocked out after you have set up, you would have a free space for another Tepig or a Rayquaza.

To be honest I think Emolga is better because I would get set up and then Emolga would get knocked out which if you think about it isn't such a bad thing because if Emolga gets knocked out after you have set up, you would have a free space for another Tepig or a Rayquaza.
Emolga, having only 70 HP, can easily be 1HKOd, unlike Kangaskhan (100 HP). I would think your opponents would not permit you that opportunity to Call for Family more than once...., but I could be wrong.

TuxedoBlack likes to fit Kangaskhan into a variety of things. The Emolga's fine, especially as a free-retreater that you can send active after a KO, if need be. Anticipate using Call for Family only once, and be pleasantly surprised if you have a second chance, just don't depend on it.

What I am trying to say is that it can be a good thing that Emolga gets KO so that you have a free space. Also, Kangaskhan can sometimes be really annoying if you don't draw switches or energy then, you would be pretty much stuck. I might be wrong though.

What I am trying to say is that it can be a good thing that Emolga gets KO so that you have a free space. Also, Kangaskhan can sometimes be really annoying if you don't draw switches or energy then, you would be pretty much stuck. I might be wrong though.
I also use Skyarrow Bridge as a Stadium in my deck; so, Kangaskhan's retreat is only only 1 - the 1 energy I used for 2 CfF in most cases (unlike Emolga which is typically 1HKOd). Also, I've used Kangaskhan's 2nd attack at times too.

I missed quite a bit out, but here's a bit more

Here are some more suggestions:
As the person above mentioned you will need to get an ACE SPEC Dowsing Machine is good, but you would be better with Computer Search as your ACE SPEC
Your supporter line needs improving you will need: 4 Professor Juniper, 4 N, 2-3 Skyla, 0-2 Colress. Random Receiver doesn't fit this deck (me thinks), but it does fit in Darkrai. Maybe a one off of Cilan.
Instead of using Pokemon Catcher you could maybe use Escape Rope, this has a Pokemon Catcher effect, except you add some more switch.
If you wanted you could use a 3/2/1 split of Ultra Ball, Heavy Ball and Level Ball, this may help better than Emolga.
With the SER and Energy Retrieval you need a 4/1 split or 3/2 split.

How has your deck been doing so far?

Thank you for all your posts. I am going to city championships tomorrow and, I will see if they have any Red Genesect boxes because that has loads of the staples in most decks. Wish me luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back