BW-on Help my Reshiram/Emboar strategy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Demolithor

My deck now is planned to be like this:

Pokemons:
x4 Tepig
x3 Pignite
x2 Emboar (With poke-abiltity of putting how many energy cards i want on 1 pokemon, Cilan is crucial)
x2 Emboar (With an attack of 150 but with the cost of discarding all energies, you must got the spirit of the deck by now)
x4 Reshiram (With an attack of 120 but with the cost of discarding 2 energies)
x3 Darumakan ( Cost of :fire: to burn)
x2 Darmanitam (With an attack of cost :fire::fire::colorless::colorless: to attack 70 and fliping heads the defensor pokemon goes burned)
x2 Minccino
x1 Cinccino (Do the wave attack)

Trainer:
x4 Cilan
x2 Energy Retrieval
x4 Bebe`s Search
x2 Fisherman
x3 Rare Candy
x2 Eviolite
x2 Rocky Helmet

Energies:
x18 Fire Energy

So as you probably noticed the strategy of the deck is having the first type of Emboar on the bench energizing Reshiram or the second type of Emboar for massive damage, i think that is most secure to rely on Reshiram being energized, but it seems a little hard to put this startegy at work since Emboar needs to evolute to stage 2 very quickly. I would appreciate so much a little help on that, and also it feels to me that Darumaka-Darmanitam Minccino-Cinccino are totally useless on the deck, my idea is to put a "frontline" on the place of these pokemons so i can build my startegy, just dont know wich pokemon will do me most good. One thing that you should know is that i`ll put my Core pokemons to stay, im not intending to swith them out, so thats why i need Rocky helmet/Eviolite. Again, any help is welcome, i`m open to any suggestion.

Last edited:
1. Bebe's Search is no longer legal sadly
2. Emboar is also no longer viable but it can be played the same way with Blastoise.
3. ????
4. Profit.

Thanks for the reply, i tough so that emboar was a little hard to play. Still i need the Fandango Emboar.
Should i use just Pokemon Communication or there's something better suited for this deck?
Still need to replace some pokemons.
Thanks for the reply ;)

If you are indeed trying to make this into a BW-On deck, then you'll need to remove the Fisherman and Bebes Search and replace them with Pokemon Communication and Energy Retrieval. Both do the same thing but with a few minor
limitations.

Next, you can remove the Darmanitan line as well as the Cinccino line as there are better alternatives for attackers out there. The non-ability Emboar can be dropped as well and can be replace with Reshiram EX - it can do the same amount of damage and has access to Eviolite and has 180HP.

Honestly, you may want to consider a pokemon line like this.

3-1-2 Emboar (Inferno Fandango)
2 Reshiram EX
2 Mewtwo EX
1 Reshiram
1 Bouffalant DRX

Using the regular Reshiram as the main attacker of your deck makes you over reliant on needing Energy Retrieval and with the way this format is now, you would need to be using 2 Blue Flare to take out an average pokemon which burns through 4 energy. It would be alot more effecient to focus on attackers who can still deal a good amount of damage while not needing to discard the energy (Or be so discard-heavy). Which is why i listed the pokemon suggested.

Reshiram EX can deal 150 for 4 energy which ensures a 2HKO on anything at the cost of potentially taking 40 damage on a coin flip. Eviolite can help to reduce any damage caused by Brave Flare or any other attacker.

Mewtwo EX loves any form of energy acceleration as it allows him to hit for high amounts of damage in an instance. It even functions well as an early game attacker if your list is running Double Colorless Energy (Which yours should). Mewtwo EX also funtions as your water counter, or more specifically, Keldeo EX.

Bouffalant is your anti-EX attacker which also appreciates the energy accel from Emboar.It deals 120 damage to an EX while only giving up 1 prize when it gets KO'd itself. A wonderful card for keeping to prize trade-off in your favour.

The normal Reshiram is just for Sigilyph DRX which can wall your EX's. Blue Flare 1HKOs Sigilyph.

As for the Items and Supporters and Energy i'd recommend:

4 N
4 Cheren
3 Juniper
2 Skyla

4 Rare Candy
3 Super Scoop Up

4 Double Colorless Energy.

This should be a good enough basis for to start from. Do what will with this information. i hope it serves you well.

Yeah i readed that a lot, but its a deck that i already started and now im going to give my best to make it a really good one even if it is reshiboar, anyways im still in need of a staller or donker to start the game (i need it also because after some matches i realized theres to little basic pokemons to start the game) while i make some time setting up inferno fandango, after some thinking the deck stayed like this:

4-2-2 Emboar (Inferno Fandango)
2 Reshiram
2 Reshiram Ex
2 Mewtwo Ex
1 Bouffalant
3 ???

4 Cilan
2 Juniper
3 Cheren
3 Skyla

3 Pokemon Communication
2 Rare Candy
3 Energy Retrieval
2 Eviolite
2 Rocky Helmet

10 Fire Energies
4 Psychic Energies
4 Double Colorless Energies

What do you guys think? Whos up for the challenge of making a competitive Reshiboar?

Why he doesnt need? The second attack needs psychic energy, and the second attack its what my deck is based on.. I dont get it sorry
I mean he has an attack of 120 just like reshiram that cost only 1 energy card seems to me a good idea use that and with cilan its really easy to pick the nergy cards i want

Last edited:
You want Mewtwo for its first attack, X Ball. If your opponent has many energy on its Pokemon, you'll find yourself doing more damage with X Ball than with Psydrive and without energy loss to the discard.

Even with Skyla in your deck to search them out, you will want more Rare Candy in your deck. 3 at minimum, 4 recommended. You will also want 4 Switch. Catchering the high retreat Emboar to stall is a very common tactic and you need to be ready for it. Speaking of high retreat costs, Heavy Ball will let you search out Pignite, Emboar and Reshiram EX so I would play a few.

Consider Entei EX as a one or two of for his Grand Flame attack to get energy back from the discard. I like Emolga as a starter for Stage two decks as Call for Family can get you your Tepigs and every big basic in your deck and it gives you a Pokemon with free retreat which is sorely needed in this deck of heavy retreat cost Pokemon.

I tried to get an Emboar based deck working in the past. It was hard then and has only gotten harder. Good luck with it.

I aprecciate the suggestion and ill look into it later when i tested my deck properly, but for now im in need of starter pokemons, im analyzing emolga but im not sure there must be something better suited for this deck out there.

Yeah i readed that a lot, but its a deck that i already started and now im going to give my best to make it a really good one even if it is reshiboar, anyways im still in need of a staller or donker to start the game (i need it also because after some matches i realized theres to little basic pokemons to start the game) while i make some time setting up inferno fandango, after some thinking the deck stayed like this:

2 Reshiram
2 Reshiram Ex
2 Mewtwo Ex
1 Bouffalant
3 ???

4 Cilan
2 Juniper
3 Cheren
3 Skyla

3 Pokemon Communication
2 Rare Candy
3 Energy Retrieval
2 Eviolite
2 Rocky Helmet

10 Fire Energies
4 Psychic Energies
4 Double Colorless Energies

Several thoughts:

2 Fandango Emboars are not enough, IMHO. What if one is prized and your first one is KOd? This deck then loses momentum real fast.

One of my strategies in the past to beat this deck was to Catcher up an Emboar and then hit your bench. Most players did not usually attack with Emboar and even if they did, you would not KO a "big" basic defending Poké which are so prevalent in today's game format..

Assume many players run Tool Scrapper; so, your Tools (at least 2) can be easily nullified.

Reshiram EX has a second attack that can potentially inflict 50 damage on itself given a tails outcome of the coin flip. You might want to add Victini (NV 14) whose Victory Star Ability can give you a second chance of the coin flip.

So, following are some suggested changes to consider:
+3 Emolga (CfF). Free retreating, 70 HP (important!), starting Poké that that help you setup.

-2 Reshiram EX,
+2 (Entei EX, Tornadus EX and/or Mewtwo EX). Entei EX helps with energy recovery and attachment. Tornadus EX is a colorless Poké with colorless attacks. So, this is far less easier to KO than Reshiram EX by Blastoise-Keldeo EX decks (tier 1). Mewtwo EX is just awesome!

-2 Eviolite,
-2 Rocky Helmet,
-1 Skyla,
-3 Cilan, for more basic card draw support
+1 Emboar (Fandango),
+1 Rare Candy,
+1 Pokémon Communication,
+1 Super Rod, to help with Poké recovery,
+3 N, for draw support and opponent hand disruption.
+1 Professor Juniper.

-1 Energy Retrieval
-3 Psychic energy, Mewtwo EX's X Ball attack is extremely effective and eliminates your dependency upon Psychic energy.
-1 DCE,
+4 Super Scoop Up, to heal a wounded Poké and then you can just Fandango all the Fire energy back down again!
+1 Fire energy

Hope this helps.

Several thoughts:

2 Fandango Emboars are not enough, IMHO. What if one is prized and your first one is KOd? This deck then loses momentum real fast.

One of my strategies in the past to beat this deck was to Catcher up an Emboar and then hit your bench. Most players did not usually attack with Emboar and even if they did, you would not KO a "big" basic defending Poké which are so prevalent in today's game format..

Assume many players run Tool Scrapper; so, your Tools (at least 2) can be easily nullified.

Reshiram EX has a second attack that can potentially inflict 50 damage on itself given a tails outcome of the coin flip. You might want to add Victini (NV 14) whose Victory Star Ability can give you a second chance of the coin flip.

So, following are some suggested changes to consider:
+3 Emolga (CfF). Free retreating, 70 HP (important!), starting Poké that that help you setup.

-2 Reshiram EX,
+2 (Entei EX, Tornadus EX and/or Mewtwo EX). Entei EX helps with energy recovery and attachment. Tornadus EX is a colorless Poké with colorless attacks. So, this is far less easier to KO than Reshiram EX by Blastoise-Keldeo EX decks (tier 1). Mewtwo EX is just awesome!

-2 Eviolite,
-2 Rocky Helmet,
-1 Skyla,
-3 Cilan, for more basic card draw support
+1 Emboar (Fandango),
+1 Rare Candy,
+1 Pokémon Communication,
+1 Super Rod, to help with Poké recovery,
+3 N, for draw support and opponent hand disruption.
+1 Professor Juniper.

-1 Energy Retrieval
-3 Psychic energy, Mewtwo EX's X Ball attack is extremely effective and eliminates your dependency upon Psychic energy.
-1 DCE,
+4 Super Scoop Up, to heal a wounded Poké and then you can just Fandango all the Fire energy back down again!
+1 Fire energy

Hope this helps.

I will start saying that i aprecciate your help and the purpose of commenting every suggestion you made is to help others players that want a Reshiboar deck.

The real big issue here is my emboar taking damage on the bank or being catchered, thats one of the motives i have
eviolite wich also helps Reshiram Ex not taking too much damage from Brave Fire.I dont have much cards to take away to make space for Victini that will help me just sometimes, so eviolites is a better alternative since is going to help me protect Reshiram EX and Inferno Fandango, may not be quite effective protecting Reshiram Ex but i cant afford having cards just for some specific situations.

Tool scrapers suck but there isn`t much i can do about it except adding more tools and switches ( i will be adding switches as they are needed in this high retreat cost deck).

"+3 Emolga" Emolga is a pokemon that im considering i just gotta be sure that this addition is really necessery because now with reshiram mewtwo and bouffalant, the only pokemon that couldnt start the game would be reshiram ex (cost of attacks too high) and tepig (i need him on the bench).

"-2 Reshiram EX" Reshiram EX is an necessary alternative, because i burn a lot of energy and even with energy retrieval and 4 cilans sometimes i can run out of options.

"+2 Mewtwo/Entei EX/Tornadus EX" I already have Mewtwo so... Entei is one to think about, but i have to be sure of that cause almost all of my cards in the deck are extremely usefull so i gotta be carefull taking out other cards to open up for pokemons. Tornadus EX is just not good enough, there`s better options to that. I mean my reshiram (not ex) does 120 discarding 2 energies, i know you thought about victini with his ability helping tornadus but i just hate chance, i will almost certainly discard all energies and thats a cost that i cant afford especially dealing only 100 dmg for that ( i try to keep my distance from chance strategies is just not solid enough for me).

"-2 Eviolite" They are important believe me

"-1 Skyla" Im still testing it, but skyla is really good support since i give me the "extra chance" of finding the card that i want, it gives me the flexibility in a deck where i need some cards to help in certain times.

"-3 Cilan" Substitute it for energy search? That`s a really really really essencial card in my deck, without it inferno fandango is not so good as it could be, you see i have 4 cilans, they draw 3 card each, thats 12 energies to draw and i have 12 energies, thats not coincidence (sorry the early information about energies was wrong).

"+1 Inferno Fandango" Im going to consider it but i dont know if its really needed, until now i didnt burned 2 emboars and if i had to evolve another tepig cause other emboar already got knocked out it means that the game is already over for me with or without +1 inferno fandango.

"+1 Rare Candy" The idea is to take it out as soon as possible right? Skyla reforces that idea and give me flexibility, already got stuck with 3 rare candies (it happens pretty often) late game soo better get it on the start with the help of skyla.

"+1 Pokemon Communication" 3 is enough i need an alternative to that, i cant depend only on pokemon communication since i dont have much pokemons and what i have its probably going to the bench.

"+1 Super Rod" i tried that, ended up that i was with 2 super rods on the start keeping them till the end of the game, just dont work... the situation where they can help are too specific

"+3 N" That`s a good option, im think about substituing Juniper with N, juniper is just too harsh with the discarting, i often got stuck with energies and cilans at the begging of the game so i cant play juniper then N is something that i will be adding

"+1 Juniper" Since ill be putting N there`s no need to add more "hand-fixers" in the game.

"-1 Energy Retrieval" They are needed, if i really have to open space on the deck then maybe i will take it off but for now there`s no need for that.

"-3 Psychic Energy" I already got that off

"-1 DCE" Yeaah that one i agree i got too much, i was trying to fix my energy discarding issues, the situation is like this: i discard a lot to attack heavy but sometimes it`s not enough energy nor energy retrieval, but 4 DCE may be too much..

"+4 Super Scoop Up" I`ll have to put that on my deck, not so much cause i cant take off space of vital cards to the strategy but it`s a good boost to the power of the deck.

Some toughts about Cheren and Cilan, my deck runs out of cards pretty quickly cilan takes all my energies cards from the deck making it less likely to "lose a round" taking a energy instead of something that could help ( i say that cause energies are never a problem to me)
Cheren seems a bit.. random in my deck, it can be a powerfull booster but i already got too many supporters to play each round and with cheren my deck runs dry much quicker and that`s dangerous so im thinking about his fate right now... I will probably take them out soon.

Thank you again for the suggestion, even reflecting why a suggestion may not be right already gives me more understanding about my deck. Please guy keep it coming, more suggestions the better

---------- Post added 01/16/2013 at 08:36 PM ----------

My deck so far:

2 Reshiram
2 Reshiram EX
2 Mewtwo EX
1 Boufallant

4 Cilan
2 N
4 Cheren
3 Skyla

2 Heavy Ball or Great Ball not sure yet
3 Pokemon Communication
3 Rare Candy
3 Energy Retrieval
3 Eviolite
3 Switch

12 Fire Energies
3 DCE

A donker may be a great addition to this deck.

Last edited:
The real big issue here is my emboar taking damage on the bank or being catchered, thats one of the motives i have eviolite wich also helps Reshiram Ex not taking too much damage from Brave Fire.My deck so far:

2 Reshiram
2 Reshiram EX
2 Mewtwo EX
1 Boufallant

4 Cilan
2 N
4 Cheren
3 Skyla

2 Heavy Ball or Great Ball not sure yet
3 Pokemon Communication
3 Rare Candy
3 Energy Retrieval
3 Eviolite
3 Switch

12 Fire Energies
3 DCE

A donker may be a great addition to this deck.

Thanks. Understood.

Your revised deck is more focused which is good. However, I do believe you do not have a sufficient number of card draw supporters which help get needed Poké and energy. Also, Heavy Ball will only get Emboar, Pignite or Reshiram EX. So, following are some suggestions to consider:

-1 Pignite,
+1 Emboar. You MUST get the 'Boar into play. IMHO, a 4-1-3 line is much better than a 4-2-2 line for consistency.

-1 Cilan,
-1 Great/Heavy Ball
+2 N (or Professor Juniper). Ns will disrupt your opponent's hand while you setup, but PJs allows you to draw 7 cards!

-1 Great/Heavy Ball,
+1 Pokémon Communication. For increased versatility. On the other hand, if your Pokémon Communication were all Ultra Balls, this could be more advantageous for you. UBs allow you to get any Poké (vs. GB where "luck" is involved). Secondly, an UB requires you to discard 2 cards; so, this helps "thins" your deck and increases your chances of drawing into energy on subsequent turns. This will also reduce your need for 3+ Cilans. Lastly, when you discard Fire energy, you can Energy Retrieval those back into your hand! After some playtesting, you'll find the right combo of Poké draw Trainers.

By the way, I noticed you have no Poké Catchers in your list. Was this intentional?

Lastly, Mewtwo EX is one the best donkers in the game today. If possible, I'd suggest further:

-1 Reshiram EX,
+1 Mewtwo EX (this becomes your main attacker),
-1 Fire,
+1 DCE.

Thank you for replying again :)

Hmm now that you said it sure looks like a 4-1-3 line its much better, especially cause i have Rare Candy i goota take advantage of that...

I still prefer not take any Cilans its important to keep attacks constant but it`s interesting to put 1 more N in the deck, so im taking away 1 Great/Heavy Ball

Putting one more pokemon communication can work, i believe that im taking more pokemons right now..

Adding 1 Mewtwo EX seems like a good idea since the DCE helps it a lot at the start aah i got a doubt, when i put a DCE in Mewtwo Ex does the damage o X Ball is 40 or 20? Cause it`s 1 energy attached that count as 2 and the text is "Does 20 damage times the amount of Energy attached to this Pokémon and the Defending Pokémon." depending on the answer +1 Mewtwo Ex and + DCE is great, (well +1 DCE is already great)

---------- Post added 01/20/2013 at 05:17 PM ----------

Update 1.6 :p

4-1-3 Emboar (Inferno Fandango)
4 Reshiram
1 Reshiram EX
3 Mewtwo EX
1 Boufallant

4 Cilan
2 N
3 Cheren
3 Skyla

4 Pokemon Communication
3 Rare Candy
3 Energy Retrieval
3 Eviolite
2 Switch

12 Fire Energies
4 DCE

Reshiram and Mewtwo Ex can handle the start pretty easily that`s why i choose that pokemons, and with 2 more pokemons the pokemon communication works even better. Cheren isn`t THAT important that`s why im taking her away, putting more Ns or Skylas seems to be better than having cherens, maybe someone could enlight me on that question.

Last edited:
Looks nice, but you are still very energy heavy. I would drop 2 fire for 2 N

---------- Post added 01/20/2013 at 11:19 PM ----------

I would also consider adding some Juniper. You need hand refreshing cards in this deck.

-3 Chere
+4 Juniper

Why draw only 3 cards when you can draw 7 instead? Your not going to use all copies of everything in your hand all of the time. Plus your Fire energies can easily gotten back with Retreival.

-4 Pokemon Communication
+3 Ultra Ball

Same concept as above. Pitch 1 more card so you can grab any Pokemon you like at any time and not worry about having to draw dead Pokemon just to make this work.

-1 Reshiram
-1 Cilan
+2 N

I dont think you really need 4 Reshirams and even though Cilan is good, you need more than energies to win a game. I do think you will need more N's considering you will get a lot of dead hands with this deck and your opponent will probably have a faster deck than you most of the time.

I would keep the Pokemon Communication over Ultra Ball myself. You currently have 17 Pokemon in the deck and with that many Communication tends to be the better choice especially since this is deck that wants to minimize putting things in the discard. Augment that with a few Heavy Balls and you should be able to get what you need when you need it.

I agree with those that say to boost your Supporter count. Removing the Cilans for Junipers or Ns is a place to start. In practice I find that good draw support gets energy into my hand more reliably that Cilan did.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back