Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Help with my Tooldrop deck! (modified)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rocket_D

Hi guys!

So I just built a Tooldrop deck and I would need some help to make it run better. I found this deck to be quite competitive when I used it at the League yesterday but I definitely need to make it more consistent. So this si what I have so far:

Pokemon: (12)

3x Sigyliph Toolbox PLB 41
1x Sigilyph Safeguard DEX 52
2x Surskit PLB 1
2x Masquerain PLB 2
4x Trubbish PLS 65

Trainers: (38)

4x Level Ball
4x Eviolite
4x Silver Bangle
3x Silver Mirror
3x Exp Share
3x Float Stone
1x ACE SPEC Rock Guard
4x Pokemon Catcher
4x Juniper
4x N
4x Skyla

Energy: (10)

2x Double Colorless
8x Psychic

So basic strategy for those not familiar with a Tooldrop is to use Trubbish as the main attacker, while keeping Sigilyph's on the bench and loading them with tools. Safeguard Sigilyph is very useful, especially during early turns to stall the opponent while setting up the attack. Masquerain is also used for support, using Tool Reversal to move tools around. Sigilyph can also become a potent attacker, with an attack of 70, which can be boosted using several Silver Bangles on the same Sigilyph.

Now, my main issue is that I think my choice of Supporters might not help me make my deck run as fast as it could. I realize that maybe Skyla is not fit for this deck, as 1 card will not save you. With Toolbox, you need to draw as much as possible.

I also think Rock Guard could be changed to something more useful but I'm not sure what...

Any help would be greatly appreciated! what would you guys change?

Thanks for taking the time to help!

Bicycle works really well with this deck since you're able to attach most of your deck straight away, I'd probably run those over skyla.

I'd also consider dropping a catcher and a masquarian for a couple more tools, otherwise your late game damage potential will be hurt.

I cant afford to remove a Masquerain, in case one of them ends up in the Prize Cards. Bicycles is a great idea though! I should probably remove the skylas and add them instead... How about random receivers? And to be honest, catchers are mainly to get the Deoxys in TDK decks.

so out of curiosity, why Rock Guard and not Dowsing Machine?

I run a 4 Toolbox Sigilyph, 4 Trubbish, 4 Surskit, 3 Masquerain line and it works well.

And Sdr is right, Bicycle is amazing in this deck. You also need Tool Scrapper or Garbodor will give you some trouble.

so out of curiosity, why Rock Guard and not Dowsing Machine?
Mainly because I usually end up not wanting to discard anything from my hand. Rock Guard also adds an easy 60 damage, which can be useful against EX. Think I should change it? I was considering Life Dew since my opponent will want to draw prizes and since I do not run Exs, my opponent would not take any prize card upon defeat of the pokemon it is attached to.

- - - Updated - - -

I run a 4 Toolbox Sigilyph, 4 Trubbish, 4 Surskit, 3 Masquerain line and it works well.

And Sdr is right, Bicycle is amazing in this deck. You also need Tool Scrapper or Garbodor will give you some trouble.

Should I remove Skyla to place 3 Bicycle and 1 Tool Scrapper?

You really only need the one, I can understand keeping two. Even more so if you're not running super rod (which is a pretty important inclusion with only 8 psychic energy)

I definitely wouldn't go 4-3 on it though =p

Catcher isn't that big of a deal when you're one shotting everything, you don't need 4 as you do with most decks. The same theory can be applied to rock guard, if you're one shotting them most of the time, the extra damage from rock guard won't matter. Besides, many decks run two tool scrapper anyways, it's really unfortunate when your aspec just gets discarded like that.

Hey! I agree with sdrawkcab on the catcher, due to you hitting for insane amount of damage once you get your tools on your sigis. Also please clear your inbox! I need to message you!

Hum you guys make a very valid point. Should I remove 2 catchers, 4 skylas, to add 3 bicyles, 2 tool scrappers and a Super Rod? Also, what would be my best choice of Ace Spec here?? Life Dew? Dowsing Machine? I like the fact that my Ace Spec is also a tool, though.

You're already winning the prize exchange, life dew isn't needed. Dowsing machine allows you to play only one tool scrapper / super rod / 2-3 catcher.

Personally I still like 3 catcher, but if you go down to 2, dowsing machine is absolutely needed.

Have you considered super scoop up. It is pretty much a full restore and in this deck could be a life saver if you have no masquerain. Also i dont like the idea of ace spwc tools in general.

Dowsing Machine is much better here. Being able to grab your important scrapped tools and such mid to late game is vital.

Dowsing Machine is much better here. Being able to grab your important scrapped tools and such mid to late game is vital.
You are definitely right. So how does that look:
- 4 Skyla
- 1 Catcher
- 1 Rock Guard

+ 3 Bicycle
+ 1 Tool Scrapper
+ 1 Dowsing Machine
+ 1 Super Rod

Do you guys think that change would make my deck run better??

Have you considered super scoop up. It is pretty much a full restore and in this deck could be a life saver if you have no masquerain. Also i dont like the idea of ace spwc tools in general.

Is super scoop up even legal? 0.o

Super Scoop Up, no - not legal; HOWEVER, I do believe Arctic was referring to the new ACESpec - Scoop Up Cyclone from Plasma Blast.

You are definitely right. So how does that look:
- 4 Skyla
- 1 Catcher
- 1 Rock Guard

+ 3 Bicycle
+ 1 Tool Scrapper
+ 1 Dowsing Machine
+ 1 Super Rod

Do you guys think that change would make my deck run better??

I wouldn't ditch all the Skyla's. It is important to fetch for needed cards, against certain matchups. For instance: if you need 50 more damage against an EX in play to K it O, Skyla for a bangle would do the trick. Playing against team plasma, and haven't drawn a Silver Mirror? Skyla.

Edzilla, this is a deck you want to cycle through a lot of cards. What if you're 30 damage short and you've already attached a bangle? You'll need to get a lot of tools into play as soon as possible and skyla just doesn't do that for you.

Edzilla, this is a deck you want to cycle through a lot of cards. What if you're 30 damage short and you've already attached a bangle? You'll need to get a lot of tools into play as soon as possible and skyla just doesn't do that for you.

Well that's what I thought, and after a few test-drives, with and without the Skylas, I do not seem to see a use for them. Edzilla does have a point with the bangle thing but I thought Down Machine would sort of make up for that. Plus, I run 4 of them. I usually have enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back