Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Hey: did Rare Candy, Wally Training q ever get answered?

Porygon3

Hey, with both Rair Candy and Wally Training; did the question of evolving the turn you play the pokemon ever get answered?

And if you CANT evolve the turn you play it, rair candy is just basicly breader, altough I dont see WHY you would ever nead to play it for the stage 1, hummm...

Although I still see the power of Wally even if not on turn 1 or the turn you played it, with lack of searching cards in R/S +Sand: well; its all you've got...

Feh.. still waiting for PokeNav question to be answerd...

Feh... bane...

its not completely resolved yet... there is still the issue of playing both wally and rare candy together and playing either when your pokemon has just evolved 'normally'

rare candy allows gyrados to be played without ever exposing a magicarp to combat.

aren't there some stage 1's that count as basics while in play?

Last edited:
so the answer would be ... maybe.

I guess I'll just have to make my own rulling for my tourments... thanks...

Your question (evolve turn played) has been resolved. The answer is yes, except for the first turn of the game.

Also, PokeNav has bee answered.
You show the 3 trainers to your opponent and place them back on your deck in any order.

I don't quite understand. After the first turn of the game, you can use rare candy and wally's training on the same pokemon during the same turn? Also can I use rare candy to evolve a basic pokemon into a stage 2?

Last edited:
I don't agree with the ruling made on those 2 cards and will email my reasons after i formed the right English words. But the basic rule of Evolving says that on turn 1 or the turn a pokemon came in play you can't evolve the normal way (playing a trainer like wally is evolving the "normal "way. Only Powers or attacks can let you evolve a pokemon the same turn it came in play.
Hope i explained what i mean, unless there are new basic rules made which i didn't find yet.

ok so you cant evolve on turn 1 no matter what now. but on turn 2 (or any turn thereafter) you can evolve any basic pokemon with Rare candy, wally training (or both) or powers/attacks whatever... Right?

Unless there are complete new Basic rules there is no way you can evolve a pokemon that you just played of evolved that turn or any pokemon in the first turn of the game. And that's were it is about.
The basicrules which are made in the Wizards period are the same as in the rulebook which comes with the Sandstorm starterdecks. As extra explanation there always was a note that if a PP or Attack says that you have to evolve then you are allowed to even if its the first turn of if the pokemon came in play that turn.
If i read the new compendium EX they don't follow those basicrules and made new ones, but i have doubts about it, because those comp EX rules are different from the ruleboek (sandstorm) so now there are 3 versions.

3 versions? "they made new ones"?
The ruling was made by MT Jimmer of Pokemon.
According to him, and what he was told by Japan, it should have always been the rule that nothing can evolve on the first turn of game.
It's one of those "Meta Rules" like "nothing can add to damage done to a benched Pokemon".

We had quite a long discussion with Jimmer about this and reviewed all of the existing exceptions (the two Eevees, really, and one of those depends on the other to happen on turn one...) and it came down to a ruling/clarification from Japan.

While we were sad to see Eevee de-powered, it made sense to go with this ruling because otherwise we'd have first turn Rain Dance and other broken combos.

Yes you can evolve a Pokémon you just played, except on your first turn of the game, using Rare Candy and/or Wally's Training.

Back