Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

HGSS Ho-Oh Legend Officially Revealed!

PokeDaddy

displayimage.php

Click here for more information from Pokemon!

Check out the first of the new LEGEND Pokémon cards in the brand-new HeartGold & SoulSilver expansion!

The Pokémon TCG: HeartGold & SoulSilver expansion introduces a new type of Pokémon card: LEGENDs. Actually, each Pokémon LEGEND requires two cards to create, and the rules for them are new to the overall game. To play a Pokémon LEGEND, you must have both halves of the Pokémon in your hand, and you must play them at the same time. For example, to play Ho-Oh LEGEND, you must play both card 111/123 and 112/123. When the two cards are played next to each other, they form a huge, amazing image of the winged Pokémon! And, although you play both at the same time to form one Pokémon, if you have the opportunity to retrieve a Pokémon from your deck or discard pile, you can retrieve only one of these cards.

Pokémon LEGENDs are unique in that, when in play, they are neither Basic Pokémon nor Evolved Pokémon. As such, they can't be played during the set-up phase at the beginning of the game (only Basic Pokémon can be played then). But they also can't be hit by attacks that target Basic Pokémon or Evolved Pokémon specifically. Pokémon LEGENDs are like no Pokémon you’ve ever seen before!

As mentioned, one of the new Pokémon LEGENDs is Ho-Oh LEGEND. With its enormous fiery wings stretching over the two cards, the extraordinary Ho-Oh LEGEND is truly awe-inspiring. As the first of its kind, Ho-Oh LEGEND lives up to its name: a 140HP difference maker that can find a home in virtually any deck. With the Sacred Rainbow Poké-Body, all of the Energy attached to Ho-Oh LEGEND becomes Fire Energy, making Ho-Oh LEGEND usable now matter what kinds of Energy you have in your deck. Ho-Oh LEGEND can pound the Defending Pokémon with the Bright Wing attack, delivering 100 damage. The attack requires 4 Fire Energy (and you must discard one Energy attached to Ho-Oh LEGEND when you attack); fortunately, with the Sacred Rainbow Poké-Body, it won’t matter what kind of Energy is attached!

Man, these LEGEND cards are something else. I'd seen the Japanese card before, of course, but seeing it here in English is just making me that much more excited for this set! It's going to be great.

Awesome, immunity to the added effect of Machamp's Take Out! That's one of the few pluses i've seen about the cards.
And I am assuming the inverse works, meaning he can slip past Mewtwo LvX!
What would make you say that?
Take Out said:
If the Defending Pokemon isn't an Evolved Pokemon, that Pokemon is Knocked Out instead of damaged by this attack.
Psybarrier said:
Prevent all effects of attacks, including damage, done to Mewtwo by your opponent's Pokemon that isn't an Evolved Pokemon.
Pokémon LEGENDs are unique in that, when in play, they are neither Basic Pokémon nor Evolved Pokémon.
LEGENDs get KOed by Take Out, and can't touch Mewtwo Lv.X. The Japanese FAQ confirms this.

LEGENDs get KOed by Take Out, and can't touch Mewtwo Lv.X. The Japanese FAQ confirms this.

EDIT: I need to read more :tongue:

Well, that stinks then! The good ol' Basic hating Mewtwo X & Machamp are still powerful against these!

Those are fanslations by a non rules team member. They are not the rules in the USA (yet). Until a rules team member here states that those are the rules, please dont pass them off as correct.

OT: The artwork is amazing on Ho-oh! I love the bleedover effect to the edges of the card.

Keith

Until a rules team member here states that those are the rules, please dont pass them off as correct.
The only thing I'm passing off as correct is official text: the press release, and two previously printed cards. I mentioned that the FAQ happens to back it up, but that's not where my ruling comes from.

Pokémon LEGENDs are unique in that, when in play, they are neither Basic Pokémon nor Evolved Pokémon. As such, they can't be played during the set-up phase at the beginning of the game (only Basic Pokémon can be played then). But they also can't be hit by attacks that target Basic Pokémon or Evolved Pokémon specifically. Pokémon LEGENDs are like no Pokémon you’ve ever seen before!

Wouldn't that mean that mean that Take Out and Mewtwo Lv X doesn't have a negative impact on this card?

very unique way of playing cards these days huh? i like that the fact that the game keeps on changing aftter 4 years..credits for the translation n POKEDADDY,

Ouch...... Burn :eek: Sounds more like worst of both worlds.

Bah, I find these cards overrated anyway. 100 damage for 4 energy is quite slow in this metagame.
Good cards for resale value though. Everyone wants them :smile:

i agree. it seems that machamp & mewtwo can effect ho-oh.
ho-oh isn't evolved and machamp says if the pokemon isn't evolved!
that sucks. i wanted to try and use him.

There may be some type of errata, as the Legends weren't around when Stormfront and Legends Awakened were released. Aside from that...

Guess we'll just have to wait and see, but it sounds like you are right.

Last edited:
Seems to me this contradicts the Japanese FAQ.

But is specifically not targeting the same as specifically targeting. As Pajamas pointed out, Machamp and Mewtwo both say "isn't an evolved Pokemon". That isn't the same thing as basic Pokemon.

Back