Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

History of Pokemon-ex

Techmaster2kx

Hi all. Since returning to Pokemon TCG in 2004, I have always wondered if there was or will be anything that explains the "phenom" of Pokemon ex Cards. They are insanely powerful but have that drawback of losing two prizes to a knockout of one. I am just wondering why would Pokemon of Japan would create such powerful cards that have shaken the very game that i have played for so long. Let me know what you think... thnx
TechmasterX

to get sum more powerful attacks into the game without the draw-back of running stage'2's, rare candy, pidgeot, etc... mayb?

It is simply money.

Think about it a bunch of super powerful cards that can kill almost anything. It gets a pokemon player's curiosity going. So they want the card right. Well there are only 1-5 in a box so what does the player do buy more packs of course to get the card so pokemon gets more money

they just wanted to make some strong cards and to usually make more money cause more people'll be buying boxes now. + they just wanted to have some cool art finally;).

Hiya,

My thoughts are, they just want new types of 'secret rare'...They make it so people will by more boxes and packs.
Before, there's Shining cards in Neo days, Crystal types in e-reader days, and now, ex and *'s.

Basicly, the money.

cya.

i think ex's are great for power hungry players (like me) but pokemon stars are a waste of time and money(exept rayquaza)

but without pow! hand ext., ex's may be hard to play...

ADAM said:
but without pow! hand ext., ex's may be hard to play...

oh, boohockey!!! so basically ur saying that the decks that DOMINATED the metagame using the BEST ex's were really bad because pow! wasn't legal?? w/e, d00d. gardy ex, blaze ex, and rayquaza ex (DR) are possibly the best ex's ever printed, and they were all legal before pow! even came out.

even after pow! came out, ex's didn't need them. smp, metattack, dragtrode, zap-turn-dos, lbs...all decks that didn't need pow! to function. they were just great ex's that made competitive decks.

the only pow!-reliant ex is electrode, and no one thought of it until that whole catty-bomb-turned-ZRE/eggs/pow-block came out during worlds '05. you might argue cham as well, but the OG cham deck piloted at nats '05 ran reversals.

anyways...i think ex's were a great addition to the game. in the WotC days of pokemon, the game had that "shiny=good" thing going for it, what with charizard and friends. it started to lose that appeal towards the e-reader era, where everything was pretty much just crap. but thanks to the advent of ex's, "shiny=good" is back and the game is better for it.

Okay, Well as this might not be the answer u were looking for, the following is a fact...

Almost all of the older sets, are worth crap, with the exception of certian named cards, every is pretty much worthless....

Atleast now with the ex's there is a chance u cards will have some value after some time...

Drew

Ex's are in my opinion the greatest idea in the history of pokemon tcg outside of poke-powers and poke-bodies, that is part of the reason why the nintendo pokemon could pwn the wizards era pokemon. As far as stars go, the only good ones are Gyrados * , Ray*, and the Lati*s, as well as the ones that evolve, if u are using a deck that uses a higher evolution of the *.

Back