Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Hmm not really sure if i should be here for this question...

neopianlord

But I just recently started with pokémon tcg (after playing a whole lot of the videogames, after seen the series and the movie's.....and you'll get the idea I guess)
Anyway what I wanted to ask is pretty simple I guess, how do you build a descent deck for the first time.

I've got several theme decks and some diamond and pearl boosterpacks (the newest serie's) don't know the names yet ;) My theme decks are the following:
1. Terra Firma
2. Royal Frost
3. Lava Flow
4. Powerhouse.

What I would love to know is how should build a good deck, how many energy cards should I have in a good deck, how many pokémon etc.

Or should I build a deck around 2 or 3 big fully evolved pokémon, or should I use some pokémon @random

If you could help me with these basic questions I would be really gratefull :)

Moving to Single Cards and Strategy where people can respond.
Other than that, I'd suggest looking at the makeup of decks in both the Deck Help forums and the Archeypes subforum to see how decks are put together.
Generally, you want a 4-3-3 line of Pokemon.
The theme decks use 4-2-1, but that is not adequate at all.

Also, as a starting point, think 20/20/20 for Pokemon/Energy/Trainers(including Supporters & Stadiums). You'll find that as you get better, you'll cut the energy down and up the Trainers.

Thanks for the move in this case ;) and I will look in to those forums.

and a 4-3-3 line of pokémon is eehm 4 basics, 3 stage one and 3 stage 2 pokémon? and for the 20/20/20 strategy It sounds logical so I'll try that one out first ;)

Welcome! There are some articles on Pokegym that helped us when we started.

http://pokegym.net/forums/showthread.php?t=32267
http://pokegym.net/forums/showthread.php?t=45981

Also, the entire Deck Help and Strategy forum is helpful. I'd suggest finding a league and asking some experienced players for suggestions. Plus it is a great way to possibly trade for some cards that you may need to finish your deck.

It looks like you have the start for many decks with your theme decks. I would suggest that you find a main Pokémon (i.e. Magmortar) or at least a type (i.e. Water) and start from there. Like PokePop said, you will want to try to increase the number of evolutions so hopefully you got some in your packs or can trade for some. You will want to take a lot of the supporters from your decks and combine them. There are some good trainers in the D&P decks! Also, you may consider purchasing a 'Lv X' tin after you decide on a focus for your deck. It will have packs which will hopefully give you some playable cards and the Lv X of your choice (Empoleon, Torterra, Infernape, or Lucario). Have fun.

Thanks for the help thusfar, so I began with reconstructing with the 20/20/20 strategy. Not using a single type. but I limited the types to three species. I've got this deck at the moment:
# pokémon
2x turtwig
2x grotle
1x torterra
2x pinlup
2x prinplup
1x empoleon
1x buizel
1x floatzel
1x goldeen
1x seaking
1x voltorb
1x electrode
1x mareep
1x flaaffy
1x ampharos
1x stantler
#energy
7x lighting energy
7x water energy
6x grass energy
# trainers
6x energy search
2x pluspower
1x double full heal
1x warp point
1x pokédex
2x potion
1x night pokémoncentre
#supporter
1x bebé's search
2x roseanne's research
1x rival
2x professor oak's visit

Another general rule of deck building is:
If one of a card is good, 4 of them are better.
If you have 4 Bebe's Search, use 4 Bebe's Search.
It will increase the consistancy of the deck.
Similarly with Pokemon.
You want a 4-3-3 line (or a 4-4 line) because you want to increase the chances of drawing the Pokemon you need.
Remember, there is a lot of randomness in drawing cards from a deck.
You wouldn't want to play a game of Poker without 4 Aces in the deck, right?
The more of the good cards, the better your chance of getting it when you need it.
4 Goldeen/4 Seaking is better than 2-2-1 Empoleon even though Empoleon is a better card. Because with a 2-2-1 line, you're never going to be able to get that Empoleon into play!

Personally I find that It's good to have one 4-3-3 line, one 3-3 line and some stallers/card drawers. Kangaskhan used to be what everyone used but with today's cards I'd reccomend Chansey for stalling (Scrunch is soooo great and with 100hp how can you go wrong?) and a few others. Generally I make the 4-3-3 the main energy type, the 3-3 a secondary energy type and the stallers/powerful basics random of the two types. Having two types helps stop you having a weakness to a certain players' deck.

If you get the chance then trading is one of the most useful things you can do. Many experienced players have no use for just another rare candy but a random rare you got may be very useful to them. Bringing a want list can be very useful at times. You also want to have enough supporters seeing as they are very powerful trainers but if you plan on playing more than one per turn you'll want regular trainers too.

I like to stick with around 20-25 energies but as you hone your deck you'll gradually find them turning into trainers for some reason. That's how I feel anyways =S

Last edited:
Kinda figured that one out already, but it has a small problem, because I just have one empoleon, I don't really have a lot of fully evolved pokémon of just one specie, just a fair amount of evolved pokémon of one type (like water or fire or grass for instance) I do own more basic and stage 1 pokémon but I lack the stage 2 pokémon (like bulbasaur, ivysaur etc but only one venosaur) (I explain lousy, but I hope you could make sence out of it ;))

Back to back posts merged. The following information has been added:

but in that case I should look in the 4-4 lines some more.....but is that also wise if it are cards like pinlup and prinplup? (because I just own one empoleon) If that doesn't mind then I could do build a more consistent deck

Last edited:
Yeah, Prinplup is actually pretty good for a middle stage.
It's damage spread attack is very nice and you can snipe the bench with the other attack.
If you can, go 4-4-1 with the empoleon line.

sweet :) just what I wanted to hear :D, but that can I also do with my cards like bulbasaur-ivysaur(+one venosaur) and the turtwig, grotle(+one torterra) just use a 4/4/1 line.... that opens up totally new perspective's.

I think I should be rebuilding tomorrow :p. But atleast I should be getting a reasonble starter deck to start with. Now there's just the case of finding ppl in my surrounding to trade and play with ;), and that's can be hard here in holland :p

really thanks for the help :D, you where about the first forum I could find with some good help on building a deck ;) Keep up the good work :D

Back to back posts merged. The following information has been added:

I'd suggest finding a league and asking some experienced players for suggestions. Plus it is a great way to possibly trade for some cards that you may need to finish your deck

Good advise, but I'm dutch :eek: where could I find a league and what does a league here means to start with ;) as you have noticed I'm like such a newbie in this :p

Last edited:
Yeah, until you trade for the cards you need, build the deck as best you can.
You're in the Netherlands? We have a number of Dutch members. Check the International forum and Trading forum for members from your country.
Rainbowgym is a pretty active member from there.

6x energy search

Quick side note: only 4 are allowed of each card.

Just like everyone before me said, 1 = good? 4 = Better!

If you play multiples, the chances that you will draw them are better, and you get to use them more.

Another hint is to keep the types to one or two. If you have a Water pokemon active, but you draw a Fire energy, that doesn't help. Most players have only two different energy types per deck. Then, you have a greater chance of pulling the right energy you need, when you need it.

I hope that helps!

Since they've told you so much....

Ok, keep in mind that trainers are very important - they are what makes you draw/get what you want. I suggest about 25 trainers w at least 10-12 draw-card trainers ( I mean supporters too). Then as for energy, 15-17 should do the trick.

Thanks for the help anyone. I've build a Deck with the cards I have. I couldn't complete any 4-4-1 or 4-4 lines because I didn't had the necessary cards to complete but I got to trade for those ;), I did managed to build a deck around electivire and magmortar and I did include some electrodes ;) (saw some ppl talk about that it is great card to play)

And I managed to put in a fair amount of drawcards (trainer and supporter). So thanks to all with your help :) and hopefully you'll keep on being so helpfull to newbie's like myself :D

I think I would try to trade with some ppl. But just wondering is it wise to build a full-out electric deck built around electivire (My own proclaimed "day's of thunder deck"....figured if everyone names it deck, so should I. And it sounds cool atleast ;) will modify it with some trades though

Electivire is good to build a deck around.
Magmortar is more popular at the moment, but these things change.

Back