Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Honchkrow: Worth playing?

Jupiter

Title; is the new Honchkrow [UD-15] worth the time to build a deck around?

"Blindside" can be devastating depending how early you get it set up. I'm sure there's better snipers out there (Garchomp C Lv. X), but for a Stage 1, I think Honchkrow is pretty decent. Paired together with the SV Honchkrow, you can recycle your opponents weak Basic Pokemon to take easy KO's. Sure, it wont be as easy as LuxChomp, but the potential is there.

The Weakness is not good at all, but not every deck is LuxChomp. Even against LuxChomp match-ups, you can tech in so many different things to take care of Luxray. As far as Garchomp C goes, that's where the decks starter comes in.

Zangoose (PL-66) is a good starter/Garchomp C counter for this deck. As a starter, you can potentially drag up and damage your opponents Benched Pokemon. This not only spreads damage, but also disrupts your opponents set-up. As far as being a Garchomp C counter; while Zangoose is Belted, you can drag up benched Garchomp's and OHKO them. This can also be helpful by using the SV Honchkrow to bench an opponents Garchomp C, Warping/Switching to Zangoose and taking an easy prize with another OHKO.

Crobat G's also make this deck a lot easier to use.

Unfortunetly, Honchkrow Lv. X will be rotated soon. The Lv. X version would've gave this deck a lot more life by allowing you to recycle Poke Turns, or any other card from your discard pile, with the use of "Darkness Wing".

I don't know. I don't want to hype Honchkrow up and say that it's the end-all deck that's going to make women fall in love with you and make babies cry, because it's not. I do think it has potential. My question is, is it worth the time building/trying this deck, or--aside from LuxChomp--are there any other snipers out there that can do a better job?

for a Stage 1, I think Honchkrow is pretty decent

This is an issue that people run into often. There are two problems with this.

- You can't have "for an X" in your statement if you actually want a meta deck. Stage 1s have pros and cons. So do basics and stage 2s. If you need to justify your card's worth by disregarding the cons, it's not good enough.
- "pretty decent" is never good enough. It has to be good.

The combination you have set up is very clever and is probably worth testing (and you probably shouldn't have posted it! Great rogue decks thrive on surprise!) but if you honestly believe that "sure, it won't be as easy as Luxchomp", you've already lost.

Just saying.

I feel that Honchkrow G is a far superior sniper to it. Why?

1. Its SP, so it can abuse the Cyrus engine

2. Its a basic.

3. Has an amazing first attack for 0 energy

4. Doesn't need a dmg counter down already to attack

5. 1 Dark + e-gain to attack as opposed to 2 dark.

6. Only 1 retreat cost

Though there are some cons to Honchkrow G.

1. 10 less HP

2. 10 less Dmg.

Thats all I could really think of right now. Anyone else beg to differ I would like to hear your view.

Kayle - True; if a player has no confidence in their deck, chances are they already lost. I guess I'll have to build this deck and see how it does. For now, it's just something that I've been thinking over and would like outside views on.

amphachu - Honchkrow G does look like the better option here. If Honchkrow Lv. X wasn't getting rotated, I'd be head-strong on staying with the regular Honchkrow. I'll have to switch up the entire deck list and try to run it off an SP Engine to see how that works.

Thanks for the input.

Back