Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

How my day was ruined at Nationals

annisarich

Boy oh Boy the late start stank.
The delays stank.
I am sure the sheer numbers of players had something to do with it.
FYI the attendance was (aprox) AFAIR

15+ 150
11-14 60
10- 40

A Few Slops:

the player who didnt want me to cut his deck stank.

the player who drew a hand and looked at it then rolled a dice to see who goes first and got upset when i asked him to put the hand back and reshuffle and that we should decide who goes first before seeing our hands..stank

the player who refused to show me how many cards were in hand before playing a stevens advice...stank

the player who quickly scooped up the three prizes off the table when the judges called time , to my two prizes. and looked me dead in the eye and said " So thats a tie".....stank

<end slops>

I had alot of patience with POP for all the shortcommings with this event.Gee wow, what a big event. ya gotta admidt there is always gonna be some clusterflubbing when its that large. PES and PUI staffs were trying dang hard. I forgive them and I truely think they learned from the experience. I am sure the next event will be better. Their efforts and attitude were not lost on me.

But ....ugh......The player problems really threw me off. Thay upset me to no end. I have never experienced this level of underhanded BS (ok, ok, ok.... cheating) in my life. These angered me so much I was not able to concentrate the rest of the evening. They were still on my mind when I went to sleep. (OH BTW those incidents were in one game ) I was soooooooo angered by this and did my best not to act like I was young and stupid and in college and go off on the clown. It really effected my play the rest of the day. I almost just dropped. I am glad I played because my friends told me not to drop. I am glad I listened. I had the pleasure of meeting a nice young fellow from St Louis, the "Jersey Girl" from exit 19 :) and many others. I am still not convinced that we saw the real Zuver. The fellow posing as him did not look at all like I had imagined :D

Props to my friends and all the fun the kids had being together ALL day.
Props to Steve keeping the event from becoming unglued.
Props to anyone in a Blaziken coordinated outfit and endearing themself to my youngest.
Props to meeting some of the boards greatest posters.
Props to Mike, pete and Jimmer for the ambitious programs this year (I hope it gets better for us and you.)
PROPS TO AJ YOU GOT IT DUDE!!! Also BTW you took great care of your brother. I hope my eldest treats his brother like you do yours in a few years. You a classy young man and a great Big Bro.
Props to PUI and Mike... I am very excited for leagues this fall.... It sunds great.
Props for getting parking in a sweet spot that was easy to go get lunches and supplies from the car :cool:

Ratings

People........................... B+ (the idiot ruined it for me a bit)
Tournament play ...........A the attendance was great. Players from so many areas. GOOD players
Tournament execution ...B- TMS needs to be addressed. Judges need to be on the same page. and a few more in number.
Facility............................B+ A bit large and distracting for younger players

Over all...........................B Had a good time , wish it was a bit smoother. Looking forward to the next event

Last edited:
annisarich said:
the player who quickly scooped up the three prizes off the table when the judges called time , to my two prizes. and looked me dead in the eye and said " So thats a tie".....stank
That is unbelievable. In the 15+ division, to an adult!? I have actually heard of little kids trying to intimidate like that in Chess to other kids but in 15+!!! All this cheating looks worse than the playing til 3 AM. Atleast that wasn't on purpose. Hopefully Worlds will be more sportsmanlike.

Rich: The Pure cheating that certain person did was completely uncalled for and luckily you did give him his back after your match;) Otherwise i also had a great time at Nats altho I COULD use a few more Hours of sleep I got about 3 1/2 hours last night lol.

Cya at Worlds!
AJ

BTW that was all in my first game.

I have complained and will be sending a letter to PUI mysef abot it after a chill out period.

I have no use for that oponent..........

I am soo happy for TA3

I am glad we will be at worlds together and maybe you can help me with a deck idea in the next few weeks for the grinder :)

cheating in the 15+...man these people are sad. adults doin that and other youngin 2 just win a game. man im 15 but i get that desperate in any game

Actually i am ...ehem...OLD. the other player was I am guessing late teens early twenty ish.

beleive me terse words came from my mouth. I got my win.... but the experience had me at my boiling point .

Sorry, Rich, I know that you would never in a million years do something like that in competition. Too bad some scoundrel had that effect on your game. Take heart in knowing that you've done a hundred times more for Pokemon than that creep can take away.

Congrats, A. J. Tear it up at Worlds.

Rich: Yes the words were harsh but when I heard them I thought they were needed, but on the other hand quite funny:)

As for a deck for the Grinder ive got 7-8 sitting in my ultra-pro you need one just ask;)

Cya
AJ

Last edited:
Rich I had to play someone like that too in a tournament before... who was constantly calling a judge on me saying I'm cheating and changing damage counters on his pokemon... I won the game in the little tournament with him but I dropped afterwards cause I couldn't concentrate.

I agree the time frame sucked I guess, I however didn't care the longer it goes the more fun I have and the more time I can spend with my friends. :)

However I am not bitter at all at the experience I had too much fun to care about the time thing, that's why I ain't complaining.

It was a plaseure to visit with people.
I enjoyed looking over at You playing YJ.06.
I met great people in my games and put some names to faces.

folks like you and TA3 are the kinda young people that keep my interest in the game. You good guys are the reason I let my kids play.

It did really ruin my day. Maybe just took too much energy to win that game that I was pooped.

I really enjoyed myself and watching my kids have a blast.

Cheering for you and TA3 in the t16 was cool also.

149 good people and 1 stinker.

mr. Zuver looked nothing like I thought. Johnny Blaze looked exactly like I imagined :)
Wish I cought more names.

We have already looked at Hotels for next summer for Origins

Rich:

Why didn't the Judges DQ that player? It seems he knew (or should have known) the rules and NEVER play like that. I know it was a BIG tourney, but size shouldn't matter. Good sportsmanship and following the rules are the 2 biggies I try to tell my son and the other kids in our league.

Keith

annisarich said:
It was a plaseure to visit with people.
I enjoyed looking over at You playing YJ.06.
I met great people in my games and put some names to faces.

folks like you and TA3 are the kinda young people that keep my interest in the game. You good guys are the reason I let my kids play.

It did really ruin my day. Maybe just took too much energy to win that game that I was pooped.

I really enjoyed myself and watching my kids have a blast.

Cheering for you and TA3 in the t16 was cool also.

149 good people and 1 stinker.

mr. Zuver looked nothing like I thought. Johnny Blaze looked exactly like I imagined :)
Wish I cought more names.

We have already looked at Hotels for next summer for Origins

I'm glad he got an invite, AJ deserved it. Hopefully I'll be able to win one lol. ;)

I really like the pokemon community though, overall I meet more so good people that I have fun with... more so than people I don't like. Which is something that will keep me in the game.

Lawman said:
Rich:

Why didn't the Judges DQ that player? It seems he knew (or should have known) the rules and NEVER play like that. I know it was a BIG tourney, but size shouldn't matter. Good sportsmanship and following the rules are the 2 biggies I try to tell my son and the other kids in our league.

Keith

I agree.

It was very frustrating to see him pull stuff in other games too other people.

If I was king...... :)

I also agree with Young john.

there are many great people we have met playing.

I was saddened to see some new friendsfrom OH who have been attending some of my local events gone after the "Lunch Break Incident"

I hope we can bring them back into the fold.

Yo that sucks that you got cheated and the day was ruined. During a round i was purpously stalled out to lose a game and i was so aggrivated because no judge called my opponent for stalling. He took 2 minutes to do a turn and 1 minute to do another turn. I was happy though to go 3-4 at the end. I couldent believe the amount of cheating i heard all oevr nationalsd that day. It was a sad sight to see a GAME could be so competitive that players stoop to cheating. :mad:

yeah that sucked but the day overall was great especially watching ta3 till 2 am before vince got too tired. aj's t8 match i also witnessed his opponent combing thru his deck and shuffling good cards to the bottom. he went on anyways so it doesnt matter. also aj im behind you by 3 points ;)

I heard a lot of ppl complain about that player too. I really didnt have too many problems when i played him but i really wasnt watching him that closly. \

But overall i did have a fun time!!

annisarich said:
BTW that was all in my first game.

I have complained and will be sending a letter to PUI mysef abot it after a chill out period.

I have no use for that oponent..........

Please send that directly to me at [email protected]. I'm very sorry to hear that and didn't get any reports on site regarding issues like this taking place during the tournament.

Thanks,
Prof. Dav

mr. Zuver looked nothing like I thought. Johnny Blaze looked exactly like I imagined

It's just like reading a book, formulating a picture in your head, and then watching the movie based on the book. I'm glad I didnt dissapoint.

C'ya at Worlds! :D

Well Rich, "That Player" was giving trouble to almost everyone he played from what I hear, I hope PUI does do something about him, because cheating players like that ruin a great game like Pokemon.

I have to give props to all my opponents, I never once ever witnessed nor imagined that they were cheating, and I have a great time battling every one of them.

The tournament was a little sloppy, but a lot of fun. I just hope next year, there is a better system that is capable of such a large turn out.

All I can say is that, Nationals was great, except for those few players that can just all out and ruin it for one person the entire day. Especially in 15+, I really thought people were more mature then that. I'm just glad the rest of the players were.

Back