Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

How to EV train Keldeo?

JimboPro

I am horribly bad at the VGC and that is a fact. I want to actually start trying to create a team that is viable and since Keldeo was just released I figured I might as well start there...

What do you think the best way to EV train Keldeo, what is the expected best moveset, team to go along with Keldeo?

Also is Keldeo going to be legal to use etc?

Just wanted your opinions.... Thanks in advance!

Keldeo is pretty well only good to run 252 Speed, 252 Sp. Attack and 4 HP. That will be the standard set amongst its best movesets: Scarf/Specs/LO 4 attacks and sub 3 attacks. Modest or Timid will be standard natures Keldeo is absolutely outclassed as a bulky water in every way, and has a shallow physical movepool. Keldeo really want Politoed's Drizzle support to make use of the amazing Special Attack/Water STAB.

A very effective combination in Rain enducer/ Keldeo and Vaporeon can also be made by enducing rain (Politoed/Rain dancer), and then get Vaporeon and Keldeo on the field, going for Rain boosted STAB Surfs (hitting all Pokemon, activating Vapreon's water absorb) with Vaporeon using Helping Hand to further boost the power. The rest of the team would need to be able to take strong Grass/Electric moves and make use of Rain/Helping Hand. A quick sample for this idea.

Keldeo @ Mystic Water
Timid 252 Sp. Att/Speed 4 HP

-Surf
-Secret Sword
-Icy Wind
-Protect/Substitute/Helping Hand/Hidden Power Ghost/etc

Vaporeon @Leftovers
Bold 252 HP/Def, 4 Speed

-Helping Hand
-Protect
- Surf
-Haze/Heal Bell/Wish/Yawn/HP Electric etc

We'll have to wait and see if Keldeo is legal or not though. No clue.

Shino, why HP Ghost? STAB Surf hits every ghost type except Jellicent for more damage than a SE HP Ghost. HP Grass seems like a better choice, if you want to hit Jellicent. That or Electric.

As for legality, I don't think any event only Pokemon has been legal in the VGC.

Shino, why HP Ghost? STAB Surf hits every ghost type except Jellicent for more damage than a SE HP Ghost. HP Grass seems like a better choice, if you want to hit Jellicent. That or Electric.

As for legality, I don't think any event only Pokemon has been legal in the VGC.

It's just my go to because Fighting/Ghost has perfect neutral coverage. Hits things like the Lati twins, Jellicent etc. But it is a heavily filler move and HP Electric or Grass could be justified as well. I just figure the team would already have to be able to dealw ith bulky Waters as is with Keldeo and Vaporeon as the backbone, and therefore Ghost may be less redundant. That fourth move also has a lot more options than i could list, such as these other Hidden Power types, which is why i said "etc". Aqua Jet/Hydro Pump/Focus Blast/Clam Mind and both HP suggested could make a move for the slot too.

And i dunno on legality. I thought Jirachi was allowed for a little bit, and Keldeo is the first event only Pokemon to be based around an ingame trio. And all ingame trios are allowed in VGC. So i could see it go either way.

Last edited:
And i dunno on legality. I thought Jirachi was allowed for a little bit, and Keldeo is the first event only Pokemon to be based around an ingame trio. And all ingame trios are allowed in VGC. So i could see it go either way.

Jirachi was never allowed, but it was accidentally skipped in the rules. That was fixed long before regionals started though.

And even though it is based off the trio, ALL event exclusive pokemon will always be banned in official tournaments.

Jirachi was never allowed, but it was accidentally skipped in the rules. That was fixed long before regionals started though.

And even though it is based off the trio, ALL event exclusive pokemon will always be banned in official tournaments.

Is there any particular reason for that? I never understood it. Keldeo and Jirachi in particular, along with cases like Celebi and maybe Mew are all viable without being broken in the same plane as other unbanned legendaries. Why are the ones that are the hardest to get the least rewarded?

Thanks for the info regardless.

I believe it's a question of fairness. Theoretically, anyone at any time can get a Legendary Pokemon that's in a game with no event (Groudon/Kyogre/Rayquazza, etc.). A Pokemon like Darkrai or Shaymin, which you can't get without cheating/hacking/glitching/event/whatever cannot. So anyone can drop $35 and play through the game and get a non-event Pokemon, but nobody can get an event Pokemon past its time unless they find it in a trade.

Celebi and Jirachi (particularly Jirachi) would be very centralizing if allowed. It would be important to have one or be prepared for one. But since it can't be obtained normally, that's not fair to those who miss the events.

Celebi and Jirachi (particularly Jirachi) would be very centralizing if allowed. It would be important to have one or be prepared for one. But since it can't be obtained normally, that's not fair to those who miss the events.

I honestly doubt this. Jirachi does fine in standard and in VGC has its fair share of problems with Garchomp. Celebi would have almost no impact other than providing a good bulky offensive Grass type, while being checked by things made to check Cresselia anyway.

And i suppose that you could look at i tint he "not everyone has access to it" way. While i do think that if the event comes to your country, much like in the TCG, its your job as a competitve player to do what you have to to get what you have to. However, i'm sure some areas have no to limited distribution of these events. Of course, i only look at these Pokemon from a competitve standpoint when i say that it doesnt make sense they are banned, not really considering that they are event only.

I absolutely hate event only. Every Pokemon should be obtainable through a Pokemon caming disc or cartridge, even if its not main series like with Manaphy. Promote places that sell games and promote games sure. But you should always be able to "catch em all". :frown:

I honestly doubt this. Jirachi does fine in standard and in VGC has its fair share of problems with Garchomp. Celebi would have almost no impact other than providing a good bulky offensive Grass type, while being checked by things made to check Cresselia anyway.

Sorry, my Singles expertise is showing again. :rolleyes: Garchomp would of course give Jirachi problems. We just don't see any Garchomp in Singles, and it's generally unafraid of most other EQ users for varying reasons.

Back