Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

how to get gg to destroy banette decks

revdjweb

a well run banette and lake boundary deck represents the single greatest threat to gg, but there is a tech which is useful against the field which completely turns the table on banette. the core of which is:

2-2 weavile sw and
4 special dark energy

weavile's dark charge means you will be less susceptible to crystal beach and you will have to turn fewer prizes over with gallade, sure you cant sonic blade but if you are hitting for 80+ it doesnt usually matter

the ability to make gardy or gallade dark while hitting for 60 (dre and special dark energy) means you can ohko banette, which completely alters the dynamic of the matchup. this is also very useful against all the other ghost techs which gg sometimes runs (dusknor and mismagius)

gyrados is a frequent sidekick of banette, if you see this coming set up a gallade with PDD energy and when you use dark engage you will only have to flip 2 prizes to KO gyrados instead of the 4-5 like normal, which totally guts the gyrados strategy

and that's the basics. playtesting has shown me that dusknoir is a slightly stronger against the field but it leaves gg incredibly vulnerable to banette variants. the weavile tech completely wipes out banette (esp arithmetic) so in that in regard i think it is the much better play.

If you are playing Weavile for its PokePOWER then a 1-1 tech will work wonders and is much easier to fit in.

It depends on how the Banette deck is built. Banette/tech (LunaRock, +/-) is beat with a Dusknoir - Bring Down combo. Banette in Arithmetic could be beat the same way. Another way is to run a delta-Blastoise tech.

No doubt Bannette is a tough Match for G&G but its 80 HP makes it a possible win. Of course I have only faced Bannete twice with my G%G deck but I am 2-0 vs it (Including a R5 win vs the now #1 player in N. America)

OK I must admit yes I beat him that game but otherwise I am 1-4 vs him including a T2 donk I suffered
at Regionals :)

Weavile does not at all slow down banette. Especially Arithmatic... Weavile still has 80 hp and gets easily ko'd. Moving counters around with Cresselia allow the Arithmetic player to manipulte their attcks as well.

The easiest way to avoid the bring down is to move 1 counter to your opponents claydol putting it at 70hp. That will eliminate the GG player from using bringdown under normal circumstances.

Do not assume that something like weavile will DESTROY banette. My assumption is, if it could have more people would have played it.

Jimmy

Weavile does not at all slow down banette. Especially Arithmatic... Weavile still has 80 hp and gets easily ko'd. Moving counters around with Cresselia allow the Arithmetic player to manipulte their attcks as well.

The easiest way to avoid the bring down is to move 1 counter to your opponents claydol putting it at 70hp. That will eliminate the GG player from using bringdown under normal circumstances.

Do not assume that something like weavile will DESTROY banette. My assumption is, if it could have more people would have played it.

Jimmy
Jimmy, the Bring Down counter should be used BEFORE Shuppet evolves. It's usually never a good idea to help your opponent put Banettes in his discard pile.

But, I agree that Weavile isn't the answer to Banette. IMO, you have to use "tricks" to counter Banette, not weakness, or just out-play your opponent.

The only deck I've seen consistantly beat Banette was a ShiftryEX/Honchkrow deck. But that deck couldn't beat GG.

I agree with what Jimmy and Steve posted ... but I'll admit that Weavile helps. I ran 1-1 Weavile in my G&G list and it came in handy plenty of times.

* If you run special darkness energy ... free extra damage with most attacks. Psy Lock for 70 helps KO those 130 HP types.
* If you run Moonlight Stadium ... everything in the deck has free retreat helpuf vs. drag up attacks and to retreat Furret
* vs Banette ... everything in your deck hits for weakness.
* vs Ho-oh, Gyarados, Pidgeot, etc. ... bypass fighting resistance which allows you to conserve pize cards with Gallade
* vs Houndoom ... bypass psychic resistance which keeps Psychic Lock an effective attack.
* vs Magmortar or Ho-oh ... Chip Off is actually an effective attack especially if you wait until they have a big hand.

I just think that Weavile adds so many things to G&G that it's a good play overall, but it's no cure all vs a deck like T2 Banette or Arithmatic. It's also not going to help much vs the Eevees when MD comes out.

the ability to make GG dark gives both gardy and gallade the ability to ohko anything with 80hp or less, which oftentimes limits how many damaged pokemon there are in play, which in turn really limits cresselia lvl x.
banette players love to run lake bounday, but the ability to make anything in gg dark means that even a furret could now ohko a healthy banette. plus if lake bounday is in play neither gardy or gallade need dark energy to destroy banette, even if they are using DRE (50x2=100). this really limits the willingness of banette players to put and keep lake bounday in play.
the ability to bypass resistance, which includes koing gyrados while only flipping 2 prizes rathter than 4-5 is every bit as important as destroying banette.

don't get me wrong, i adore the arithmetic deck. but i also love gg. but head to head playtesting has shown me how much weavile can be used to destroy banette. i could have kept this to myself but i wanted to discuss it publicly because i think there may be counter techs (cessation crystal anyone) for banette/arithmetic which will even things out some.

i originally only ran a 1-1 weavile line but it was too unstable, unlike most techs this is one you use on many, many turns of play. so now i run 2-2 and havent looked back since. it isn't strictly about weaviles pokepower, it is also that he has free retreat (so you can always bring him up after one of your pokemon has been koed while you play your trainers so you can make the most informed decision) and his shadow charge, which admittedlly ' one can only do 1-2 times per game, CAN alter the outcome of a game.

It's true that a G&G with Darkrai or Weavile can KO Banette, But with Lunatone+solrock and Dusknoir from MD will be just about Impossible to beat. Solrock and Lunatone with Roseanne's Is just too good. And it's a Psychic/Fighting deck (30%), then Dark Hide (30%), then here comes It's attack (40%). DP Dusknoir Is pretty dang good too.

It's true that a G&G with Darkrai or Weavile can KO Banette, But with Lunatone+solrock and Dusknoir from MD will be just about Impossible to beat. Solrock and Lunatone with Roseanne's Is just too good. And it's a Psychic/Fighting deck (30%), then Dark Hide (30%), then here comes It's attack (40%). DP Dusknoir Is pretty dang good too.
Mentor is better than Roseanne in BanetteT2. Get 1 more Pokemon, and put Banette or energy in the discard pile.

Back