Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

HS Trainer Kit

PokeDaddy

displayimage.php
___
displayimage.php

Here are a few images from the just released HS Trainer Kit - 2 Player Starter Set. The Gyarados and Raichu are holofoils of the HS versions with alternate art work.

displayimage.php
___
displayimage.php

Included as well in the Kit is a 30 Card card board deck box with the images of Gyarados and Raichu.

The kit is set up very nicely for beginners. I recommend this for anybody just getting started or for your collection.

UPDATE:

The set lists for each of the two decks are listed below. What is included are two Trainer Kit Guides - One for Raichu the other for Gyarados. Each Guide takes a new player from Set Up through their 8th turn. This tutorial is chock full of basic game mechanics and basic rules - perfect for the beginner.

There is a single handout that reads:
Now that you've played, you can....
  • Put the decks back in order, trade decks, and play again
  • Shuffle your decks and play again without using the guide
  • Combine the two decks together to make a 60-card deck and play against someone else with a 60-card deck. If you do, be sure to use 6 Prize cards instead of 3"

Also included are damage counters and status markers, a rule book, and a very comprehensive play mat.

This is good stuff folks!

Player 1:
1, 14/30: Totodile
2-4, 6-11, 16, 26, 29/30: Water Energy
5, 18/30: Bill
12, 19/30: Magikarp
13, 17/30: Croconaw
14, 24/30: Marill
20/30: Gyarados
21/30: Energy Switch
22, 27/30: Pokémon Communication
23/30: Poke Ball
25/30: PETM
28/30: Switch
30/30: Gyarados (Holo)

Player 2:
1, 26/30: Moomoo Milk
2, 16/30: Pikachu
3, 17/30 Flaffy
4, 12/30 Meowth
5-11, 14, 15, 18, 23, 28/30: Lightning Energy
13, 20/30: Mareep
19/30: Raichu
21/30: Copycat
22, 27/30: Pokémon Collector
24/30: Switch
25/30: Poke Ball
29/30: Energy Switch
30/30: Raichu (Holo)

Last edited:
What the heck? Aren't the trainer kits supposed to be type neutral?
This is supposed to be the starting place for beginners and they;re already going to be getting frustrated about how one of their decks clobbers the other?

I imagine they'll have Fighting type in the Gyarados deck.
And then, that means they'll have Fire in the Raichu deck. Just a guess.

I've update the first post with more details. Please take a read. It explains a lot of why they have a Raichu deck and a Gyarados deck.

I think that with items like this, TPCi is continuing to go in the right direction.

I imagine they'll have Fighting type in the Gyarados deck.
And then, that means they'll have Fire in the Raichu deck. Just a guess.

Guessed wrong.
But even better: It's not full of 3/0/0 lines like previous Trainer decks.
Only 2/2 lines, but that's not bad.

I expect they made the decks water and lightning in order to teach new players about weakness, since it is an important part of the game. And yeah, with Croconaw, that help out the Gyrados player a bit.

Either way, I think I'm going to buy one of these trainer kits, they sound pretty cool. I like the Raichu, in particular, and I need it, too.

A couple 2-2 lines each, not bad.

Really exciting thing here, good Trainers are in this. Gyarados has PokeComm, PETM, PokeBall, Energy Switch, Bill, and Switch. 8/30 cards are Trainers. Raichu has Moomoo, Copycat, Collector, Switch, PokeBall, and Energy Switch. 7/30 cards are Trainers. This is SIGNIFICANTLY better than the PCDs, which have roughly 10-20% of the deck Trainers. This has roughly 25% Trainers, and it's a good way to teach newbies the importance of Trainers in their decks. I like this.

Well, that HS Trainer Kit finally came out.

Well, there isn't much to say about it. Definitely, if a new player chooses to play the Gyarados half deck, they'll learn about weaknesses that's for sure. I also think it is good to see that you can get Pokemon Communications and Pokemon Collectors in it. That would pretty much be the reason why I would want to get them, to get more Collectors and Communications.

Yeah, so this trainer kit isn't actually that bad at all. Both the Gyarados and Raichu have some nice artwork all right. Now if only DCE came in those half decks because that would make DCE so much easier to get.

These should have more contemporary playing tools, i.e. dice and a foam playmat IMO. Then I might even buy one.

I also use the Fire and Grass league pins (though technically should be Fire and Psychic) as burn and poison markers, respectively (I had to remove the pointy parts though!) If those were included sans sharp points, they would be an even better deal! The cardboard markers must go.

Very cool artwork for Raichu and Gyarados. I can finally replace one of the two Gyarados I have in my deck with that one so I can have one of them in my HGSS binder, and finally have the entire set in there, I still own the entire set, I just can't show off the Gyarados.

Back