Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Hurricane Mini Article minus match-up

Status
Not open for further replies.

dragonwarrior

Alright so new set, new championship series, new hurricane.

Pokemon: 26

4x Pachirisu

4x Totodile
3x Croconaw
4x Feraligatr

3x Bronzor MD
3x Bronzong SF

2x Baltoy
2x Claydol

1 Plusle

Supporter: 10

4x Bebe
2x Roseanne
3x Oak's Visit
1x Cynthia's feeling

Trainers: 8

1x Luxury ball
2x Rare Candy
3x Warp Point
2x Night Maintenance

Energies: 16

14x Water
2x Psychic

Strategy:

Hope to start with Pachy, set up one Totodile, Baltoy, and Bronzor. try getting Claydol out first with 4 bebe+luxury.
Use Croconaw wisely to draw energies. Comic power then use Bronzong's power to draw 2 energies, if you have two Bronzong that's 4 enegies.
Use Gatr's first attack to try to OHKO all the time!
Basic Hurricane combo with new pokemon!
This deck also has a second attacker!

POKEMON:

Pachirisu GE:

Call for family: [C] allows you to search your deck for up to three basic Pokemon and play them onto your Bench.

He's is your ideal start for obvious reason. Though there's 4 Totodiles, and 6 other basics you should gernally start with Pachy a little more than 1/4 of the time.

Totodile MT:

Not bad to start with as he is your main attacker with a 0 attack cost for 10. He's here by default.

Croconaw MT:

POKE-POWER: When played from your hand to evolve one of your Totodiles, it allows you to look at the top 5 cards of your deck and take all the energy cards there, the rest gets shuffled.
Due to his awesome power he's one of the most important cards of the deck. It will set up Feraligar's attack nicely. It should be used VERY wisely and only in the turn that Gatr's actually attacking because he can mess up your hand count and cannot claydol for more useful cards.

Feraligar MT:

Energy Cyclone is the main attack of this deck. Choose as many energies from your and and show them to your opponent. This attack does 20 times the amount of energies shown. Then shuffle those energies back into your deck.
This will work very nicely with Croconaw and Bronzong as they will continuously put energies into your hand for you to shuffle into your deck. You should be making sure every turn is a 2HKO if not OHKO.

Bronzor MD:

I'm using MD because he don't need psychic to attack, though i do have them in the deck it's most likely not gonna be in my opening hand with a Bronzor. Also, he has one to retreat unlike the other two that needs two.

Bronzong SF:

POKEPOWER: You may put one card from your hand into you deck, if you do so you may search your deck up to two basic energies cards and put them in to your hand. Shuffle your deck afterwards.
With this great poke-power he has become the center engine of the deck. It is better to have more than 1 ideally 2 so you can get up to 4 guaranteed energies a turn. Unlike last year's version, this deck actually has a second attack and Bronzong is it. With only one psychic needed for both his attacks, the [C] can be easily used with water. With his power and Claydol it shouldn't be hard to match your opponent's hand for an easy 60 for [P][C].

Baltoy GE:

Probably one of the better starters. It's better than a Bronzor or Plusle and in some cases better than Totodile. He able to draw cards and sometimes that one extra drawn card is key. If I personally had a hand full of basics (which is not hard in this deck) and one energy and no supporters, i'd play him as my first active.

Claydol GE:

for obvious reasons i don't even need to say what he does. He's here for consistency and hope to draw into energies.

Plusle SW:

POKEPOWER: Once during your turn, if one of your pokemon were to be KOed by your opponents attack, you may search your discard pile for up to two basic energies and put then into your hand.
Since Gatr only needs two energies to attack, when he gets KOed, the two energies discard can easily be obtainable for more energy cyclone damage.

Supporters/Trainers:

Bebe's/Luxury Ball :

Obvious card, looks Pokemon to help set up. There's 5 in total because t2 Claydol is very Key. With a total amount of 5 t2 Claydol shouldn't be hard. This is another way to get energies as well, if you have a benched Totodile, you can get a Croconaw and hope to draw energies through his Pokepower.

Roseannes:

This is more for the energies rather than the geting the basics. This is another way to get the Plusle after your Pachy gets KOed. There's only two because of Pachy and Bronzong

Oak's Visit:

This is for additional draw power that will allow you to draw into more energies/important cards after claydoling or being power locked. It's also more consistent than any other draw card in format because it doesn't require you to shuffle your hand into your deck. There's three in the deck to help filter out the deck faster.

Cynthia's Fellings:

Yes this card is VERY overrated but very effective if used properly. Since there's only one, you only got one shot. should only be used for game breaking moments and obviously when one of your Pokemon just got KOed and should be late game. At this time your deck should all be filtered out and should only consist of Energy cards. If you were to draw into 5-6 energies, used two Bronzong's for 4 and a plusle for 2 more, that's a total of 11-12 energies. That should put you in the driver seat for about 3 whole turns!

Rare Candy:

I'm only playing two because for 2 reasons.
1. VERY early game, or late game only.
There's no point of an t2 Croconaw because looking at the top 5 cards t2 will just reveal junk. Having a candied Gatr t2 is more effective because he can attack with a mere two energies. Late game when you're too far behind and need to stall with a gatr wall or you always have totodile charged and need a gatr to attack.
2. Croconaw is TOO good for this deck that it's better to go through him rather then going straight to Gatr.

Warp Point:
there's 3 in the deck because of the Heavy Retreat cost.

Nights Maintenance:
Generally all decks run 2, but in this deck 2 is MORE than enough. Since there should never be energies in your discard Via Plusle it will keep your gatr's consistently come back from the discard as you don't need to waste it on energy cards.

Energies:

Water:

14 because Gatr needs two waters to attack.

Psychic:
2 for Bronzong's attack. Bronzong only needs one to attack. With bronzong's Pokepower it should never conflict since you can easily search for water or psychic. Depending on the situation you can pick and choose which one is needed at the time.

Thoughts of self improvements!

Moonlight Stadium: allows Bronzong to retreat for free.

Dawn Stadium: prevents status on Gatr

Plus powers/bucks: a lot of time, hitting for 120 need that extra 10 for the 130 Pokemon.

Alakazam: prevent powers and will make a lot of much ups better, though a bench space that is crucial.

that's all i can think of.

Match ups!

I don't currently have any:lol:

But i do foresee a lot of problems in the future.

Raichu lvX: weakness! awesome sniping abilities!

Omastar + Lost Wager: This will COMPLETELY slow this deck down i will be losing claydol and 1-2 bronzongs and will set my totodile 1 more turn towards gatr.

Dusknoir: this deck is VERY bench heavy and with the new dusknoir coming out, they're asking everyone to play this one!

Alakazam can be used against Omastar and Dusknoir easily and with useless pachys in the deck the power isn't very costly. Discarding energies sometimes isn't a bad idea with plusle. If you can get out Alakazam before they get a star or noir you should get the advantage. The only problem is that the damage out put is set back by 20-40 damage.

Alright everyone! i'm open to ALL suggestions and changes! Thanks for looking hope i've helped many players trying to make the same deck!

way to much pokemon....

4-2-4 Feraligatr

3-3 Bronzong [sf]

2-2 claydol

1 Plusle

Replace Pachirisu with the Call energy

10 :Water:
3 Psychic
2 Call energy

and make it 4 candies

and add other supporters and trainers

don't go with to much energy...

if you get all the all the energiesin your hand with 10 you'll get 200 demage, none can survive......

12 will be enough.

Last edited:
way to much pokemon....

4-2-4 Feraligatr

3-3 Bronzong [sf]

2-2 claydol

1 Plusle

Replace Pachirisu with the Call energy

10 :Water:
3 Psychic
2 Call energy

and make it 4 candies

and add other supporters and trainers

don't go with to much energy...

if you get all the all the energiesin your hand with 10 you'll get 200 demage, none can survive......

12 will be enough.

I know it looks like a lot of pokemon on paper, but in reality, the pachy is what makes the deck consistent. Since you need 3 basic pokemon you can easily get them with one energy instead of banking on going second and having a roseanne's in your hand. With your suggested two calls i'll never get it in my opening hand. With Pachy you have a better chance to have a better set up than starting with totodile.

also Call energy is HORRIBLE in this deck because now you wanna start with bronzor or baltoy because gatr needs two waters and call energy will become so use less.

4 rare candy is not needed in this deck as well, tops 3 because croconaw will make the deck go round and help build consistency.

It's a lot better to have a whole bunch of energies, if i have 10 energies in my hand, i'll need 7 to OHKO a 130 HP pokemon and then i'll have 3 more for next turn. That means all i need is two Bronzong and get 4 energies back and i'm able to do 140 the turn after. If i play 12 energes - 2 calls = 10 because call can't be grabbed by Zong. i'll need 2 water on my active gatr and one on my benched croc/gatr in case of KO. that's 10 - 3 = 7. The max i can do i have 7 enegies in my hand in the early game. Which is ALMOST impossible if you consider prizes and useless attaches from bad starts. So with a Hurricane with only 12 energies you're gonna struggle and will be lucky to get OHKO all game long.

I agree with DubeRRy, You do have two much pokemon.I found that this deck isn't as good as the catty/ton Engine because both Claydol AND Bronzong will fill your deck with useless cards. You cannot filter out your deck of all the trainers and pokemon because Claydol and bronzong will put back junk that you don't need.

also claydol and bronzong doesn't work TOO well together as you will be putting so much cards into your hand with bronzong that you'll only draw a max of 2 with claydol a turn.
If you were to reduce your lines, Maybe take out a 1-1 Zong or 1-1 Claydol or a 1-0-1 gatr and use one more night's maintenece.

Maybe try using felicity's so that you can discard useless cards in your deck like Pachy after turn one.But on the other hand i don't agree with the 4 rare candies in the deck either, call is a bad idea and 12 energies is JUST too small for this type of deck.
i'd suggest -
-4 pachy
+4 great ball
-1-1 Claydol
-1 warp+3 quick

With all these balls, you shouldn't have a problem with your decking being filled with non-sense stuff, and should be more filled with energies.

~T-tar:also claydol and bronzong doesn't work TOO well together as you will be putting so much cards into your hand with bronzong that you'll only draw a max of 2 with claydol a turn.~

They actually work great together as Gators attack shuffles the energies back into your deck. So you claydol to six cards use bronzong (-1 +2=7) then again (-1 +2=8) so you now have at least 4 energy in hand you use Energy Cyclone showing those four energies then shuffle them back so if you did not play any other card that turn you are down to 4 cards in hand next turn draw a card you have 5 put 2 back cosmic power for 3 cards...and this is showing if you play no other card in hand other than using the 2 pokepowers.

This is an intersting deck idea one of which I have been looking at myself to bring back Hurricane, fun deck. Not sure how good it will because looks like Magnezone is starting to become a heavy stable in the current enviroment.

I would say Play with 4 Rare Candy and add at least the 1-0-1 (dark palm) Dusknoir line it is just that good to keeping people in check, take out the Pachis.

This is what I have been working with. Before you butcher it up, just try it for a few games:

Pokemon: 20

4x Totodile
3x Croconaw
4x Feraligatr

2x Bronzor MD
2x Bronzong SF

2x Baltoy
2x Claydol

1 Plusle

Supporters/Trainers: 24

4x Bebe
4x Roseanne