Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

HGSS-on Hydreigon Sniping (NV-on)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DPrimalHoundoom

Hydreigon Sniping

Hydreigon is one of my favorite pokemon in the Video Games, due to its legendary-like stats and wide variety of attacks. When I saw the Hydreigon from Noble Victories, I thought it had no potential. It wasn't until recently when I saw a KingBuzz deck on which the author had posted this: "I liked KingBuzz, but it had no real attacker that could take hits." Thanks to them, I thought that Hydreigon could be a potential "main attacker" for KingBuzz. I created this deck for everyone to use if they wish, and hope that many of you who read this can post corrections to make the deck better. I will not change the list itself as it is just a guide, but I will have a section below the "Techs" that includes possible changes. Thank you for reading, and now, some notes and warnings about this deck.

Notes/Warnings: In the ever-changing meta of the Pokemon TCG, a strong, consistant build and a big bank account can only take you so far. Many decks have virtually instant autolosses, and this one is no exception. Zekrom is going to outspeed you and is always an autoloss, with the exception of its "bad games" which happen about 20% of the time, where all ZPS gets all game is dead draw. Also, DonChamp (with 0-1 Octillery for cool acronym) spells DoOM, both literally and figuratively. Also note that "the deck is only as good as the player using it," which is very true for this deck in particular.

Posting on this thread: For the sake of better deck-building, I request that if you read this thread, you post on it. If you don't find anything wrong, it is OK to post "Nice List!" or "I'll use this at tournaments!" as long as it follows forum rules, aka 17 characters on the first example. If you do think of changes or techs, please post them in a polite, informative fashion. This might include "Have you considered dropping the Tyrogue for a Manaphy?" or "Might I suggest you take out the Zoroark and strengthen your Kingdra line?" Unacceptable posts include: "This deck needs more Joltik" or "you should run 4 Lost World for consistency." While I and others may find this funny, it does not follow my belief that Deck Help and Strategy provide helpful information to others. Without further ado, my decklist.

Pokemon: 20
3-2-3 Hydreigon NV
2-1-2 Kingdra Prime
2-2 Mandibuzz BW
1-1 Zoroark BW
1 Tyrogue

T/S/S: 27
4 Pokemon Collector
3 PlusPower
3 Pokemon Communication
3 Rare Candy
3 Professor Juniper
3 Junk Arm
2 Professor Oak’s New Theory
2 Energy Exchanger
2 Switch
2 Pokemon Catcher

Energy: 13
5 Dark
3 Water
3 Special Dark
2 DCE

Strategy: The main attacker is Hydreigon (no duh). Depending on the opponent's deck, an ideal start could be: Zoroark (against ZPS), Kingdra (Donphan), or Hydreigon. It is up to the player of this deck to select a focal point and play it ASAP. From then, set up whatever is necessary/complimentary, such as Mandibuzz for a Kingdra start. You want to put as much damage on your opponent as you can, and KO their basics before they can evolve. You can also damage their attackers in waiting, like a benched Magnezone, so that it could potentially be a OHKO when it comes active. This is a deck that is better or worse based on the player playing it, like so many in this format. Not only is it up to you to decide your focal pokemon for the early game, but you may make changes depending on your local meta. If you try to snipe basics and continue to set up your pokemon, this deck has a good shot at winning. Now, on to the Techs.

Optional Techs​

Manaphy/Cleffa:
Both are great starters in terms of setup. I opted not to include these and instead run a little heavy on the draw supporters, because I had a lot of pokemon already and would like a Tyrogue start. It depends on personal preference, so you can include them if you want.

Dropped Zoroark:
Not really a tech, but the opposite. If you don't like the card in here, you could drop it and a pluspower for a heavier Mandibuzz/Kingdra line or a Manaphy/Cleffa.

Kyogre/Groudon Legend:
This would be hilarious in this deck. Its main weakness is Zekrom, but it would be fun to try a 1-1 of this in the deck. Note the energy cost for Kyogre's attack :water::water::colorless::colorless:, which means that KGL could actually attack. I don't recommend this for a competitive tournament, but if you play in a league it would be intresting to pull off.

Matchups

ReshiPhlosion: Slightly Favorable (60-40)
It's probably best to try a Tyrogue start here, considering most ReshiPhlosions run 2 Cleffa. If you can get the quick KO, that's always great. From then on, Hydreigon would probably be best because you can use it with any energy, including DCE. Hydreigon should be able to 2HKO the Reshiram because of the 20 from Afterburner. If the Reshiram has eviolite, try to drop a PlusPower and Special Dark. From then, continue to try for Hydreigons. They will damage the waiting Reshirams/Typhlosions, essentially making each new pokemon a OHKO.

ZPST: Very Unfavorable (20-80)
Your only hope is if your opponent has a pretty bad start and ends up with T2 or T3 Tornadus with Pachi and Shaymin benched. If you have a Hydreigon, you should try for the 2HKO by knocking out Tornadus, Shaymin, and Pachi on the same turn. If the Tornadus is T2, then you could try a quick Mandibuzz to follow up your Hydreigon. Remember, Mandibuzz can survive a straight shot from Tornadus.
If your opponent gets a T1 anything or T2 Zekrom, you're pretty much doomed. You can try for Zoroark, but your opponent's second and third Zekroms will assure your loss.

Yanmega/Magnezone: Slightly Unfavorable (40-60)
In some senses, you're a mirror match, but Hydreigon is a better sniper. The ideal start here would be a Hydreigon ASAP, because your opponent will try to Judge for disruption because Hydreigon has two Stage 2 lines. Hydreigon should survive long enough to buy some setup time, where you should try for more Hydreigon and a Mandibuzz, which has a shot at Magnezone with its Punishment attack. The longer the game goes, the longer it edges in Magnezone's favor, so try to play quick!

Gothitelle: Very Favorable (90-10)
In a manner of speaking, this deck was made to demolish Gothitelle. Hydreigon is a 3HKO to a 3-Psychic Gothitelle, and damage swap is really just negated. Hydreigon is putting 140 on your opponent each turn, and if any pokemon get within 50 HP of death, Mandibuzz comes in for the finish. The 3-2-3 Hydreigon line allows for evolution without the use of Rare Candy, so this is virtually always an Autowin for Hydreigon. Note that Kingdra is not very useful in this matchup.

DonChamp aka DoOM: Very unfavorable (25-75)
The only thing Hydreigon really has going for it is that with a PlusPower, Kingdra can OHKO Donphan. The game will definitely depend on whether or not your opponent recognizes your deck (they shouldn't, it's rogue) and/or plays heavier Machamp than Donphan against you. Obviously it's a tough matchup because Hydreigon is practically rendered useless, but Mandibuzz is a possible trump card. A Mandibuzz that goes first will beat up a Machamp, if you keep your opponent's bench damage-free. If your opponent does have a damaged bench, Machamp will KO you and you'll have to rely on a second, 1-Energy Mandibuzz for the KO. With smart play, a quick start, and careful play to avoid Hydreigon, you have a small chance to win the match.

More matchups to come when I can think of them!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back