Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

I think there needs to be another product that has basic energy cards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

signofzeta

The only product that includes a lot of energy cards is theme decks, and even so, it comes with 2 types at a time.

I think there needs to be a box set released every year, or perhaps a tin, whatever, that contains all 8 energies in the package, that is meant for beginners, and is meant for people who are learning to build decks. Magic has something called the Deck Builder's toolkit, and they come with basic lands.

I want to build my own pokemon deck without taking apart my multiple theme decks that I have purchased at any point in time, that is, I cannot take them apart just for the energies, and put them back together when I'm done.

What I'm saying is, I really think that there needs to be a product that has energies in them, that don't belong in a precon product.

To have access to a sizable collection of all 8 energies, I have to pay $60, or around 4 theme decks, and there was one time when Darkness and Metal energies, I believe it was 2010 or something, that was scarce, and the only reason nightfall theme deck sold more was because it had darkness and metal energies. Basically people wanted the deck for the darkness and metal energies, and the decks with grass energy, at the time, didn't sell, because there were too many of them.

To combat this, is to make a product that has all 8 energies at once, something like an 80 energy pack, a few boosters, and some semi-random cards.

Pokemon also releases box sets, and I wonder why they don't release basic energies along with them. I'm not saying for them to do it for every box set, but do it for at least one or 2 of them per year.

The only product that includes a lot of energy cards is theme decks, and even so, it comes with 2 types at a time.

I think there needs to be a box set released every year, or perhaps a tin, whatever, that contains all 8 energies in the package, that is meant for beginners, and is meant for people who are learning to build decks. Magic has something called the Deck Builder's toolkit, and they come with basic lands.

I want to build my own pokemon deck without taking apart my multiple theme decks that I have purchased at any point in time, that is, I cannot take them apart just for the energies, and put them back together when I'm done.

What I'm saying is, I really think that there needs to be a product that has energies in them, that don't belong in a precon product.

To have access to a sizable collection of all 8 energies, I have to pay $60, or around 4 theme decks, and there was one time when Darkness and Metal energies, I believe it was 2010 or something, that was scarce, and the only reason nightfall theme deck sold more was because it had darkness and metal energies. Basically people wanted the deck for the darkness and metal energies, and the decks with grass energy, at the time, didn't sell, because there were too many of them.

To combat this, is to make a product that has all 8 energies at once, something like an 80 energy pack, a few boosters, and some semi-random cards.

Pokemon also releases box sets, and I wonder why they don't release basic energies along with them. I'm not saying for them to do it for every box set, but do it for at least one or 2 of them per year.

Ive never had a problem collecting enough basic energy. Every few sets or so they inlude them in a Pokemon set, and then we have been given umpteen packs and promos of them at Poekemon League and Player rewards. It just is not an issue for many people.

Yeah, are you going to pay me gas prices to drive across the border into North Dakota where the nearest league is? I don't think so. The point of this is to be able to have access to cards that are a REQUIREMENT to the game.

WOTC knows this, hence they started adding all 5 basic lands into their non precon products.

I also want to be able to use the newest printing of the energy cards, and have them brand new, rather than all worn out from an old school set.

It isn't an issue for many people doesn't cut it. Change "many" to "all", and we'll see.

Now tell me, what are the reasons for NOT having all 8 basic energies, in a pack of 80 included in some of the box sets that TPCi releases?

Would any of you pay $11 for 100 basic energies? I wouldn't. When buying online, the prices of some product for me double because of shipping fees.

If TPCi gives these energies to leagues to distribute, then why don't they package them in box sets as well so, people who don't have a league in their city, be able to access these cards?

At lesat make a box set, with a promo card of every pokemon type, except colorless and dragon, include 10 of each basic energy, and 3 pokemon evolutionary families per type,, with each type having a 3 stage, a 2 stage, and a 1 stage evolutionary family. The box set also would contain a few trainers and a few colorless pokemon to complement the set. WOTC sells a 285 card box set for $19.99. I just can't see how TPCi couldn't. They could have 10 cards per pokemon type, except dragon, so that makes 90. Add 80 basic energies to make 170 cards. 10 trainers for 180 cards, and 2 booster packs for 200 cards. I mean, who wouldn't want to buy a 200 card box set?

Japan has box sets that serve functional purposes. The international box sets are basically a bunch of boosters packaged in a larger box and serves no functional purpose that isn't any different from buying those boosters separately. All I ask for is for TPCi to make a box set for deckbuilders, for people who want to make many different decks.

Last edited:
Because the majority of Pokemon card buyers merely collect than rather than play. This is not a product will ever move in stores like Toys R Us and Wal-Mart. The type of stores that would carry it are the same stores that would likely hold a league.

And if 1.1 cents per card is too high a price, I'm not sure what you want...

I started playing competitively this year and use my energy from Base Set. I personally don't think playing with "worn out" cards is a problem. I like 'em retro!

I think you are confused here. Take the Keldeo box for example. What if it has a pack of 80 energy, 10 of each type, included? It doesn't change anything, and TPCi could sell it at the same price they always have. You are thinking that I am saying, hey, TPCi should sell a full fledged energy pack with nothing else in it. Those things will never sell, but package it with other things, and they would sell, because if you want that cool figurine from that box set, you have to have the energies too.

You live in cities where the pokemon leagues are footsteps away. I live in a city where I have to cross the border into North Dakota, that is, go through customs and all that, go to Fargo, and that's where the nearest league is. I also live in a decent sized city too. Pokemon is popular there, but it is dwarfed by the likes of Magic and Yugioh. No leagues at all here.

Ok, I checked the league locator, and there is one store, but it is miles away. You see, I live in the south end of the city. They are in the north end. It's sad, but having to travel miles upon miles, ahem, up here, we use kilometer, but whatever, but anyway, travelling long distances just to get some cheap stuff such as energy cards is worth even MORE money than just going someplace closer, who doesn't host leagues, but does sell Pokemon TCG products, but won't host a league because there isn't any interest. This could be rectified if TPCi included basic energies, all 8 of them, into some of their box sets or tins.

You live in cities where the pokemon leagues are footsteps away.

I shall counter your example. The nearest league to me is actually across a national border, from Bellingham into Canada.

I have no problems acquiring basic energy. I can order loads of them from TnT or the Professor store. I can get them from friends. When I go to tournaments I can even trade for holo ones to placate my need for bling.

I mean, it'd be cool if they included energy in their product, I would like that a lot personally, but I don't think it would be as cost-free as you make it out to be, and I don't believe it's really necessary to enable anyone to play.

I shall counter your example. The nearest league to me is actually across a national border, from Bellingham into Canada.

I have no problems acquiring basic energy. I can order loads of them from TnT or the Professor store. I can get them from friends. When I go to tournaments I can even trade for holo ones to placate my need for bling.

I mean, it'd be cool if they included energy in their product, I would like that a lot personally, but I don't think it would be as cost-free as you make it out to be, and I don't believe it's really necessary to enable anyone to play.
I think him saying he had to cross customs should have tipped you off that he lives in Canada. I live in Vancouver. The two locations I usually go to for Premier events, League, and purchases are 10.5 miles and 4.0 miles away from my house according to Pokemon.com. 30 mins / 60 mins transit time each way. They're not actually in Vancouver proper. I'm not sure if you're in Winnipeg, Brandon, Regina, or another town, but either way I think you're just being a little lazy here.

Try to drum up some interest with some friends / university and start a League if you want interest to grow. It has to start with someone. My friend started one up in Victoria just over a year ago and now they've even produced a World Champion. Premier events require a ferry ride and 5 hours of travel time for them but they still make it over even for Battle Roads.

WOTC knows this, hence they started adding all 5 basic lands into their non precon products.

You can't compare MTG to Pokemon, they're completely different games with completely different fan bases. Kids will be walking through a Toys R Us, see Pokemon packs, and want it because it's the Pokemon they've seen in toys and tv show. Then they'll be dissapointed by the fact that all they got was energies - all he wanted was the cool Pokemon. This would never happen in Magic because MTG's fan base isn't 8 year old kids who saw a tv show and want the cool looking card. They're competitive and their fans exist to play. You can't compare them.

I also want to be able to use the newest printing of the energy cards, and have them brand new, rather than all worn out from an old school set.

Oh boo-hoo. I use base set energies that I've owned since I was 10 years old. If you want your energy to be pretty, then you're going to have to pay the extra money for them. If you want to be cheap, you can get a set of all energies for less than $20 easily if you look around.

Now tell me, what are the reasons for NOT having all 8 basic energies, in a pack of 80 included in some of the box sets that TPCi releases?

Because it would cost more? I wouldn't be buying any Keldeo boxes if I had to shell out an additional $20 for a full set of all energies. That's ridiculous.

But would it be too much to ask for TPCi to put one of each Basic Energy in each of their non-Booster, non-Blister, non-PCD products? 8 more cards in each Tin, each Vault, each 3-pack-with-promo. Wouldn't cost a whole heckuva lot, and it might increase sales from players that want to actually play the game but don't have the energy resources to do so.

I don't see how it is sensible to fix a problem that only affects a very tiny number of people by forcing everyone to pay a bit extra for product that they neither want nor need. The costs of doing this are probably a lot more than most people imagine (increased packaging and weight, design changes).

Especially when those people could solve their own problem fairly easily and cheaply, as Pablo pointed out.

So you want to spend $20 and not $11, because you want newer nicer versions of cards that do exactly the same thing? Getting decks to look nicer always costs more. There are options and ways to get the energy you need, you are just being stubborn.

You live in cities where the pokemon leagues are footsteps away. I live in a city where I have to cross the border into North Dakota, that is, go through customs and all that, go to Fargo, and that's where the nearest league is. I also live in a decent sized city too. Pokemon is popular there, but it is dwarfed by the likes of Magic and Yugioh. No leagues at all here.

I live in a city where there is a post office that delivers mail. As such, I can use the internet to purchase any basic energy cards I need for 25 cents a piece.

With so many online stores out there, selling every single imaginable I find it hard to believe you have trouble finding basic energy or would have to spend $60.

Buy one or two of these and you;ll be set for life? http://www.trollandtoad.com/p320108.html

The problem there is that shipping costs an extra $6+ and they don't give you any dark or metal energy.

I agree that the best solution would be that deck builders box that Japan got. Darkrai, Mewtwo, basic Dark, Catchers. Then, the problem wouldn't be getting into the game, it would be winning. That should be the whole point.

The point of this is to be able to have access to cards that are a REQUIREMENT to the game.

So let me get this right. Basically, what you're saying is that you actually do have access to cards that are a requirement to the game, but you're just too picky.

How about TPCI and PTOs come together and let players keep the energies they draft in a pre release like MTG? I think less people would complain about the 30 USD price increase.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back