Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Idea for tournament rewards : boosters of the next set

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zarmakuizz

Hello,

This is something most of us know, but it is important to remind it : the minimal prizes given for a tournament, both for players and organizers, are boosters from the already released set, sometimes bonus goodies/promo cards. Organizers are free to invest money to have more prizes, by winning at lottery, have a fee at tournament (I heard this doesn't happen in the USA but in Europe this is common), sponsorship, or whatever. But let's just focus on the minimal prize given for tournaments by TCPI (and partners) : the boosters. Both players and judges receive mostly boosters from the last released set.

Acting like this has its pro and cons.

The pros :
_Easy to manage : TCPI just have to send the displays when they have plenty of them in stock.
_When a set is pretty new, this enlarges recent collections

The cons :
_Where a set is released since months, you are not interested anymore into the set, unless you lives in a cave with old cards.

This con is heavier in West Europe. Back in the past, sometimes a set was released in North American, you had to wait 6 months until it comes in Europe. Who even bother winning old cards when they already bought between 1 and 3 American booster boxes ? Then it became 3 months, which is better, but still.
Then TCPI tried to make it one month only. However, due to some problems that doesn't concern us, Europe couldn't get any non-English EP booster in time for Battle Roads : boosters arrived one month after the initial date. In France, it was decided to do all the BRs with Black&White boosters as prizes. Problem happen, but this discourage playing/judging in a way.

My idea is : why not offer boosters of the upcoming set ?
This happened at Prague Cup : dotation was NV boosters while the set would be released two weeks after the event. It worked like a charm. This also has pros and cons compared to the actual system.

The pros :
_TCPI would need to prepare the boosters more in advance. This is a bad time considering the issued they are facing (delaying non-English sets, player rewards late…), but this will help ensuring the BR scenario I described above won't happen again.
_At first you are winning few boosters if you aren't in the top2 of a big tournament. And then you are winning few boosters of a set YOU COULDN'T BUY RIGHT NOW, guys who is going to miss that ?? :eek:

The cons :
_As I said earlier, maybe not the best time to apply this ?
_The surprise factor. TCPI commercials use it when they release sets to do their promotion, drag people to prereleases, preorder sets, etc. This can be fixed by doing it only for tournaments 3 or 4 weeks before release date, but still the promotion needs to take that release into account.

TCPI people are reading this place, so if you think this idea is at least half good, please comment !

What an interesting idea! This would be fantastic for players like myself, who buy from a set until we get what we need. It cuts costs from the next set of releases instead of getting more cards that are good that I probably already have. At worlds, players who top cut are given cards from the next set (at this worlds, participants received packs from EP). Moreover, the "cool" factor of receiving cards way before they are intended to be released will return.

The only issue I see is that it'll make the translation team work way ahead of time. It would be VERY cool to get "beta" packs of the new set that might be unfinished. Perhaps something with non-finalized translation of cards along with fully translated cards. To make the full pack a prize this ahead of time, we'll need to advance the translation cycle a few months... which would be VERY difficult top put into motion. Even so, anything they can give us would be cool.

That being said, this is unnecessary... I'd be very happy continuing to receive the current set. Honestly, if they advance prize support at all, I'd prefer they give us trophies instead of medals again... I like my trophies... medals just don't feel epic.

To be honest, I'm not exactly convinced that advancing the translation cycle a few months is difficult to put into motion. Pokemon cards generally use the same words with the same phrasing set after set. Moreover, Bangiras seems to do a pretty darn good job at translating new sets, and she usually is able to do it within a day or two.

If there is any difficulty, I suspect it's in the bureaucratic jumble associated with translating cards. For example, how it took them almost a decade to change self-referential attacks to say "this Pokemon" instead of the name of the Pokemon (since Nintendo took over the TCG).

I think this is a great idea, but unfortunately, it is an idea that probably won't even get considered. It's something that's very easy to do, but I don't think it's something they want to do.

Interesting idea, but I don't think Management of P!P would go for it. However they did give out packs of POP promos early before they could be earned through going to league. It's worth a shot.

What would be your incentive to buy them then?

Its amazing how many people in Pokemon forget that P!P is part of TCPI, which is a BUSINESS meant to make MONEY.

I think it's a logistical nightmare to be honest. I think that problem is you can't control the product. I was talking to P!p about doing T32 cards for Nationals, and they said (I hope I get this right) that because they can't control how they are distributed at events they aren't at, they don't feel comfortable doing that. I have a feeling that this would be under the same thinking.

Drew

Why, to encourage hard-core players to buy even less product than they do already?

Really?

This game needs to stop giving everything away.

Collectors in the Player Rewards, what's next double colorless (TOO LATE).

At least Mewtwo EX should be hard enough to find. Don't worry, I am sure you all will find some small children to rip off.

Vince

One thing we've had to do sometimes in my country (for this City Championship season for example) due to delays in tournament kit shipments, is to give the top finishers at tournaments gift cards for booster packs instead of actual booster packs. Most of the older competitive players love this, because they're able to save them for the next release. In Juniors, the kids hate it – they want some packs in their hands right away, and open the packs they earned no matter what set they're from!

The only way your idea could work without tremendous logistical trouble is to opt for a similar 'gift card' system (not that it doesn't involve its very own some logistical nightmares itself), and have the players receive their prizes a while after the tournament. But any change to the game that makes Junior players unhappy is a bad change for the game IMO.

My advice: If you won packs from a set that you don't need, why not give them as presents to young relatives or any young kids you know? They will always appreciate them. Alternately, use the packs for a booster draft with your friends. Everyone is going to enjoy a booster draft no matter how many copies they already own of every card from the set you're drafting. These are the two solutions I usually go for, and I can recommend either. :)

Personally, I think it's a fine idea.
I also know that it can't happen.

Think about it. If prizes are given out at an event that are packs from the next set that hasn't been released yet, then what happens?
Obviously, the players open those packs. They see the cards from the next set. That hasn't been released yet.
Those that know TPCi know that they are incredibly protective of the Intellectual Property (IP) and are not at all happy about info getting our earlier than they want. In this case, confirmed info on a new set would get out weeks, if not months, earlier than they want it to.
Also, while for some events it won't be a logistical problem to get packs of a set early (the fall Regionals which almost bumped up with the PRs), for some series it would mean having to get product a month or two early. Now, I'm not sure how far in advance cards are printed, but even with them being printed in time, having them flow through the distribution process might be problematic.

I think that a separate set strictly for use as prize would be more efficient than an unreleased box.

Imagine a set, currently, that you couldn't buy in stores, that had the "hard to get" cards?
You open the pack, and there are 3 cards- a Foil Energy (HS print; same as league promos), and 2 other random cards

1- Pokemon Collector (C)
2- Pokemon Catcher (C)
3- Junk Arm (C)
4- N (C)
5- Donphan Prime (U)
6- Magnezone Prime (U)
7- Yanmega Prime (U)
8- Mew Prime (U)
9- Victory Medal (R)
10- Victory Cup (3rd) (R)
11- Victory Cup (2nd) (R)
12- Victory Cup (1st) (R)
13- :fire:
14- :grass:
15- :water:
16- :fighting:
17- :lightning:
18- :psychic:
19- :colorless:
20- :dark:
21- :metal:
22- Tropical Beach (Special Foil Rare)
*EXAMPLE, DONT JUDGE THE SELECTION*

Wouldn't that be just a tad bit better? It would help the economical standpoint, give something back to winners, and so forth. Better than the POP packs, of course, as anyone opening a pack to find a basic energy, a turtwig, and a piplup probably would have rather ended up losing :nonono:

Giving out the next set though? Bad idea, as it ruins the set, confirms whats in the set, and it only works until the set is released, and then you're pushing out the next set after that early too.

Special Tournament sets of useful and often played cards. Maybe with a stamp on them.

I like.

Special Tournament sets of useful and often played cards. Maybe with a stamp on them.

I like.

As long as it's not exclusive cards (like Beach and Victory Medal was initially), I quite agree. Reprinting good cards as tournament prizes is a good thing.

I like the idea of tourney winner exclusive cards (like victory cup), but all the playables, and valuables that can be gotten?

Once again, are we discouraging players from buying product?

Or we just don't think competitve players should have to buy product to play this game because...well...because.

If there is no incentive for a player to buy product, then there is no incentive for a store to carry the product. A store that does not carry the product does not have any incentive to support Organized Play. If no gaming stores support organized play, then organized play ends up in community centers, public spaces and restauarants...oh, wait...

See my theme here?

Vince

I like the idea of tourney winner exclusive cards (like victory cup), but all the playables, and valuables that can be gotten?

Once again, are we discouraging players from buying product?

Or we just don't think competitve players should have to buy product to play this game because...well...because.

If there is no incentive for a player to buy product, then there is no incentive for a store to carry the product. A store that does not carry the product does not have any incentive to support Organized Play. If no gaming stores support organized play, then organized play ends up in community centers, public spaces and restauarants...oh, wait...

See my theme here?

Vince

I see what you're saying, Vince. From a store-owner standpoint, it sounds like a losing proposition. But here's a thought on that: Players who win tournaments usually have access to these cards already. I've known many players who consistently top cut and do so using borrowed cards or a card pool that they share with friends. You're probably not selling boosters to these players.

In fact, I see the exact opposite thing that you're worried about happening. With these special packs (I'm calling it the Winner Series) the players get more of the current cards they're using, but they don't get the new meta cards which are exclusive to new sets of product. In fact, they're not even winning new product in which they can pull the hot new cards. They are, however, making staple cards easier to find since the special ones can be used for their decks letting them trade away other copies.

Ok, it might hurt your sales of old product, but if you think about it, how many competitive players do you see buying old booster packs on the off chance they'll pull a Magnezone Prime (for example)?

Vince: Think of it like this- Everyone has to start somewhere.

That is to say, these ideas are prizes. Not simple giveaways. So to even get them, you'd have to play. To play, you have to have cards. To have cards, you must have gotten them from somewhere. And finally, that somewhere is a retail location.

If not that way, then winners of those cards would trade them off. They would trade them for other cards, from other players. Those players would trade their cards that they already own from their collection. And once again- that collection had to start somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back