Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

I'm looking for a detailed ruling on ex or gx pokemon.

ohsnaps1104

I bought the Battle Academy set for giggles and we decided to customize the decks to our likings. My friend did the Charizard deck and was somehow able to get Charizad GX on the field and powered with in two turns and brick-wall everything I had. 1 by having a charmander on his bench and 2 by using a rare candy. I know rare candy works in this but I didnt understand how he pulled Charizard GX from his deck or how it got all four energies at once. I thought something was off. He showed me the process and I said oh yeah im pretty sure you cant do that. Now, he's arguing that searching cards like nest ball, lure ball, or timer ball work on GX pokemon because theyre all pokemon. He also argued that trainer cards like kiawe and welder should work on Charizard GX for the same reason. I say all this because he tried to use a nest ball to pull out mewtwo GX from the psychic deck and i told him im not sure it works like that with ex or gx though. My question is that what are the rules for ex and gx cards when using cards to search or trainer cards to attach things or even like a switch? Do they have to name pokemon ex or pokemon gx specifically? Like pull a pokemon gx?

The card text define the limitations.
Nest Ball can only get Basic Pokémon. Mewtwo GX ia a Basic. Pokémon V are Basics. Pokémon VMAX are considered Evolutions.

Back