Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

InferTran (NOW WITH TESTED MATCH-UPS!!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

burnpsy

InferTran

Pokemon (18)

2/1-1-3-1 Infernape Lv X [DP/MD(#57)-MD-MD-Promo]
2-2 Heatran Lv X [LA(#6)-Promo]
1-1 Bronzong [MT-MT]
2 Chatot [MD]
1 Rayquaza [LA]
1 Azelf [LA]

Trainers (27)

4 Bebe's Search
2 Cynthia's Feelings
2 Felicity's Drawing
2 Premier Ball
4 Roseanne's Research
4 Rare Candy
2 Stark Mountain
2 Switch
2 Warp Point
2 Night Maintenance
1 Time-Space Distortion

Energy (15)

13 {R} Energy
2 Call Energy

Strategy

Load up Infernape with 4 {R} Energy to do constant 160s with both Heatran Lv X in play, this does 80 for 2 {R} Energy even without having both! Bronzong and Rayquaza are for draw power and fast energy attachment with the help of Stark Mountain, Rayquaza will never attack (therefore eliminating the need for {L} energies. Infernape Lv X tech to help avoid decking out, to recycle energy, and to give Infernape a little more HP. Call Energy and Chatot are my preferred things to start with. Night Maintenance and TSD are used together, mainly due to the fact that this lacks any extra recovery, and the Apes all have low HP, which explains Cynthia's. Azelf, Rare Candy, Bebe's Search, Felicity's Drawing, Switch, Warp Point, and {R} Energy are all self-explantory.

Match-ups

Kingdra (15-85)

You have to be lucky or you just lose.

AMU (60-40)

It's a close game, I'm just faster though, so I get more KOs. I'm a poet, and I didn't even know it!

Torterrible (75-25)

Their only chance is T3 Vigorous Dash... If they get it, I lose. If they don't, I win!

Scizor (55-45)

They WILL get KOs, but I still come out on top.

MagTran (50-50)

This is too even to call, they can OHKO or 2HKO my whole team, for the same energy, I can own Magmortar LV. X in one shot! If it isn't levelled up, I only need 3! They OHKO Bronzong, Heatran, Rayquaza, Azelf and Chatot. However, they will only survive long enough to KO one of them. I repeat, the match-up is even!

Last edited:
the changes I would make are:
- 1-1 Heatran Lv.X
+ 1-0-1 Typhlosion

- 1 Smeargle
+ 1 Quilava

The reason for this change is to get Typlosion out more consistently. Keep this in mind, when your Infernape goes down Heatran doesn't recover those energies. Also, u would still do 160 with:

1 Heatran in play recovering 2 energies=80
+
1 Typhlosion + Stark Mountain=40
+
1 energy attachment for the turn=40
=160

You had a good list for the 2 Heatran's in play strategy. So if you end up making these changes you would also have to change your trainer line a little bit.

-1 Warp Point
+1 Stark Mountain

This also helps by having more Dusknoir counters, and 3 Warp Points are a little too much especially when both Monferno and Infernape have free retreat.

Finally, with all that energy recovery it'll be hard to set up your Lv.X to do the 150. Besides u would still do more with the regular Infernape.
- 1 Infernape Lv.X
+ 1 Luxury Ball

The Luxury Ball is pretty much self-explanatory.

Last edited:
I disagree on the warp points. Heatran lv.X is impossible to retreat, so you have to be able to warp point the turn you level up (or switch). I've tested many games and found 2 Warp Point doesn't cut it and 3 Warp Point doesn't always come around when needed. I run 4 switch now so I don't force the main target (defending Pokemon) to the bench when I get heatran lv.X out.

- 1-1 Heatran Lv.X
+ 1-0-1 Typhlosion

- 1 Smeargle
+ 1 Quilava

The reason for this change is to get Typlosion out more consistently. Keep this in mind, when your Infernape goes down Heatran doesn't recover those energies. Also, u would still do 160 with:

+
+
=160

You had a good list for the 2 Heatran's in play strategy. So if you end up making these changes you would also have to change your trainer line a little bit.

-1 Warp Point
+1 Stark Mountain

This also helps by having more Dusknoir counters, and 3 Warp Points are a little too much especially when both Monferno and Infernape have free retreat.

Finally, with all that energy recovery it'll be hard to set up your Lv.X to do the 150. Besides u would still do more with the regular Infernape.
- 1 Infernape Lv.X
+ 1 Luxury Ball

I deffinatly agree with this

infernape isn't half bad this format hate to say what you already know but bronzong is no substitute for claydol, you have to step up and get them if you want to WIN, i mean in masters you'd need them to end the day with more wins than losses, not sure what division your in

you need a lot of fixes sorry i want to try it so i wont say too too much but add an azelf for your heatrans

without claydol an uxie engine could make bronzong half decent

don't use phlosion IMO but it's your call really, if you ask me you can always use energy in discard, having a stage 2 tech in here might be contributing to your speed problems

no smeargle, use, sableye, chatot, pachirisu, anything that helps setup faster, getting energies does nothing if you cant setup and trace is a flip of a coin

...Before I say anything, the following users were the only ones who appear to know how this deck works:
  • stevo0236
  • Prime

everyone else isn't suggesting anything very useful, or is only 1/4 useful... yes, that includes the first poster...

- 1-1 Heatran Lv.X
+ 1-0-1 Typhlosion

- 1 Smeargle
+ 1 Quilava

+
+
=160

-1 Warp Point
+1 Stark Mountain

- 1 Infernape Lv.X
+ 1 Luxury Ball

*sigh* I tried 2 Typhlosion, it didn't help as much as most other cards, but this would definitely be usefulif place in. However, something other than Heatran please... Heatran may not recover what a fainting Infernape drops, but that just accelerates Infernape LV. X's attack. IMHO, you're completely wrong about Infernape LV. X here, it actually needs to use its attack to prevent decking... my deck this quickly, it's just the actual set-up of my pokemon that's slow... I also agree with the Typhlosion thing about 160 damage, but after a while, Typhlosion's attention gets diverted to benched Infernapes... They get in the discard way too fast for it to keep up... Also, I have a hard time until Heatran LV. X and Infernape are both out with a Bronzong, even with Typhlosion... I still ocassionally have both Heatran LV. X being prized... Also, see Prime's post for why that 3rd Warp Point is there... I would place more if I had the space... I should also mention my lack of Luxury Balls...

I disagree on the warp points. Heatran lv.X is impossible to retreat, so you have to be able to warp point the turn you level up (or switch). I've tested many games and found 2 Warp Point doesn't cut it and 3 Warp Point doesn't always come around when needed. I run 4 switch now so I don't force the main target (defending Pokemon) to the bench when I get heatran lv.X out.

Quoted For Truth

i would play chatot because if play warps it has free retreat and its attack is good

No comment.

I deffinatly agree with this

Please see my reply to that post you quoted...

infernape isn't half bad this format hate to say what you already know but bronzong is no substitute for claydol, you have to step up and get them if you want to WIN, i mean in masters you'd need them to end the day with more wins than losses, not sure what division your in

you need a lot of fixes sorry i want to try it so i wont say too too much but add an azelf for your heatrans

without claydol an uxie engine could make bronzong half decent

don't use phlosion IMO but it's your call really, if you ask me you can always use energy in discard, having a stage 2 tech in here might be contributing to your speed problems

no smeargle, use, sableye, chatot, pachirisu, anything that helps setup faster, getting energies does nothing if you cant setup and trace is a flip of a coin

I'm just going to ignore the Claydol statement aside from this: NO! I've already stated in previous topics for this deck that I don't have the money, I don't wantto have to repeat this every time... Bronzong also has strategical value, and a fourth unnecesary LV. X is just bad...

Your view on Typhlosion contradicts everybody else's statements, so yea... Also, without energy in hand, this deck is even slower... not to mention I don't have the LA Uxie or Azelf...

Before any of you say "go buy some", I'm totally broke...

W/E ur the one who wants to play a Smeargle to try donking people instead of playing Luxury Ball. GG

??? First off, Smeargle is in no way an attempt at donking, it's meant to pull energy, a lack of energy at any time would cause this deck to slow to a complete halt. Secondly, I don't have any Luxury Ball... I would have put it in otherwise. Thirdly, it should be obvious, but I'd run more that 1 if I intended to EVER donk with this. Fourthly, GG, YOU'RE the one who lost... please don't make fun of my deck choices, I put it here so pople could suggest fixes... not so they could do that...

yo bro hit me up and ill mail u 2 luxury balls and a marleys request to help ya out if you want :thumb:

Yay! *sends PM* :biggrin:

that was the nicest thing I saw on this site in over 3 years... seriously good for you , mine is cooler

I haven't been here for 3 years, but I would probably agree with you...

Back to back posts merged. The following information has been added:

well at least now the reason for no claydol is lack of funds. not 30 card hands. lol. better check under your couch cushions for money. if you take out the infernape x for another regular ape it might be more consistent. if it looks like youre gonna deck, use a night maintenance. or just stop using supporters for a few turns.

Funds were always an issue... Anyways, Infernape LV. X being removed would result in just that, it being removed... my only other copy of infernape is the DP version... Also, I bring my drawing speed to a complete halt when it looks like I'm going to run out... Then after that, I don't use any more draw for the rest of the game (aside from using Bebe to find a card I NM'd back in...). Also, the NMs don't help, really... It'sonly use is to bring back KO'd pokemon...

Last edited:
InferTran

Pokemon (20)

2/1-2-3-1 Infernape Lv X [DP/MD(#57)-MD-MD-Promo]
2-2 Heatran Lv X [LA(#6)-Promo]
2-2 Bronzong [MT-MT]
1-0-1 Typhlosion [MT-[size=x-small]N/A[/size]-MT]
1 Smeargle [SW]

Trainers (26)

4 Bebe's Search
4 Felicity's Drawing
2 Premier Ball
4 Roseanne's Research
4 Rare Candy
2 Stark Mountain
3 Warp Point
2 Night Maintenance
1 Time-Space Distortion

Energy (14)

14 :fire: Energy
My chances would be
2-2 Bronzong out
1 Smeargle out
1 TSD out

4 Pachirisu in (if you have them)
or 3 Pachirisu / 1 Rotom
2 Professor Oaks Visit in

You can always discard remaining Pachi's with Felicity

Sound a bit boring perhaps to run it this way, but it can speed up your set up.
Personaly I prefered Switch over Warp Point, but options about those cards differ.

^My little bro's using all of the Oak's/Switches, I don't have any Pachi or Rotom

Last edited:
I don't hold it against you that you don't have any Claydol. Since the rotation to DP-on, the price of for them has skyrocketed due to nothing else really being decent when compared to it. Uxie LA is a great card, but it's definitely not a long-term answer to it. I find it compliments Claydol by refilling the hand a turn or two before Claydol hits the field, and after that, Clayol does all the work.

Would Uxie be better than Bronzong? Dunno. The deck doesn't need Super Scoop Up and you'd have to run multiple to make an actual engine out of Uxie.

My only concern with Bronzong is that there isn't really a need, besides Infernape lv.X's attack, to discard energy. In my Infernape/Heatran deck, I don't even run a Infernape lv.X because I didn't want to focus on discarding energy, but I did try it out, and came pretty close once to having the 7 fire energy in the discard pile to do the 150, and the Poke-Power did come in use when I had it on the field. I guess as long as your using the lv.X, you might as well discard some energy. It's going to shuffle it all back into the deck anyways.

Stark Mountain with Heatran's Poke-Power is a pretty cute way to save an energy on the field, which I will definitely have to try sometime.

I don't like the idea of the tech Typhlosion. I think it takes away from quick Infernapes. I only run 2 Monferno (30 auto-burn for one fire is cute with Heatran lv.X on bench) and I must use Rare Candies for the other 2-3 other Infernape I get out throughout the entirety of the game. If you throw in a 1-0-1 line or a 2-1-2 line of Typhlosion, your using up rare candies that you might need for Infernape. I can understand why this version of Infernape/Heatran might find it useful though, since this version will be doing more discarding of energy. I guess if you can get it to work, kudos to you.

My Infernape/Heatran focuses more on extra damage and runs Bucks and Plus Powers, but I've noticed that Plus Power and Bucks only add +10 damage (+20 combined), while an extra energy on the Infernape adds +40 damage, so I am rethinking what path I want to take. I am going to try Stark Mountain and see if it improves it any.

Good luck with the deck!

TRADE EVERYTHING TO GET CLAYDOL and current trainers (eg: luxury balls.) I'm asuming you're a player and not a collector and as such trade everything that you have for Claydol if needed. In most decks there is simply no way to make a deck "fast" without that card. Lets be honest, most X's out there will never see the light of day in any deck that could possiblly work so trade 3 to some Junior for the Claydols. Trade 500 cards if necessary! Do anything (ANYTHING) to get those Claydols or, no matter your skill as a tactian, you will never do well in a tournament.
Claydol= win no Claydol=up hill battle for 7th place.(out of 6 competitors)
If you still can't get them then play proxys and at tournaments borrow 2 and give the person anything as collateral. When you win you'll have the cards to actually get your own claydol. DO IT!!!!!!!!!:pokeball:

(I realize Claydols are needed for all decks, just the VAST majority.)

TRADE EVERYTHING TO GET CLAYDOL and current trainers (eg: luxury balls.) I'm asuming you're a player and not a collector and as such trade everything that you have for Claydol if needed. In most decks there is simply no way to make a deck "fast" without that card. Lets be honest, most X's out there will never see the light of day in any deck that could possiblly work so trade 3 to some Junior for the Claydols. Trade 500 cards if necessary! Do anything (ANYTHING) to get those Claydols or, no matter your skill as a tactian, you will never do well in a tournament.
If you still can't get them then play proxys and at tournaments borrow 2 and give the person anything as collateral. When you win you'll have the cards to actually get your own claydol. DO IT!!!!!!!!!:pokeball:

Serious?
I wonder how we got all our BR Pikachu's running decks without Claydols.
Uxie is sometimes a much better card to use.
And my Magnezone deck loves opponent's using Claydols == free prizes.

Burnspy
Do you have Furrets? Those can be very good to set up. Even better than Bronzong.

I don't hold it against you that you don't have any Claydol. Since the rotation to DP-on, the price of for them has skyrocketed due to nothing else really being decent when compared to it. Uxie LA is a great card, but it's definitely not a long-term answer to it. I find it compliments Claydol by refilling the hand a turn or two before Claydol hits the field, and after that, Clayol does all the work.

Yeah, that's exactly what's driving the price up... Still, it's this sort of imbalance that makes the card game nearly impossible to play without having to either have tons of money to spend or be lucky with boosters. Unfortunately for me, I have neither of those two skills.

Would Uxie be better than Bronzong? Dunno. The deck doesn't need Super Scoop Up and you'd have to run multiple to make an actual engine out of Uxie.

Yeah, aside from the lack of cash, that's my reason... And I know the answer, it isn't due to 2 reasons; the first is the fact that a lot of people want Uxie LV. X to go with it, extra LV. Xs aren't too good with other options, the second is that I lose Typhlosion's main usefulness...

My only concern with Bronzong is that there isn't really a need, besides Infernape lv.X's attack, to discard energy. In my Infernape/Heatran deck, I don't even run a Infernape lv.X because I didn't want to focus on discarding energy, but I did try it out, and came pretty close once to having the 7 fire energy in the discard pile to do the 150, and the Poke-Power did come in use when I had it on the field. I guess as long as your using the lv.X, you might as well discard some energy. It's going to shuffle it all back into the deck anyways.

I've actually found out how to get 8 there constantly... It took tons of practice, but after a while, Flare Up's effect seemed like more of a help than a burden... Two turns, that's all I need...

Stark Mountain with Heatran's Poke-Power is a pretty cute way to save an energy on the field, which I will definitely have to try sometime.

It's nice, the main problem is getting the Heatran LV. X in play...

I don't like the idea of the tech Typhlosion. I think it takes away from quick Infernapes. I only run 2 Monferno (30 auto-burn for one fire is cute with Heatran lv.X on bench) and I must use Rare Candies for the other 2-3 other Infernape I get out throughout the entirety of the game. If you throw in a 1-0-1 line or a 2-1-2 line of Typhlosion, your using up rare candies that you might need for Infernape. I can understand why this version of Infernape/Heatran might find it useful though, since this version will be doing more discarding of energy. I guess if you can get it to work, kudos to you.

Yeah, I can get it to work, I never even need anything else, the Stage 1s usually end up in the discard pile on purpose because I very rarely need one, and I never need to use all 4 Rare Candy...

My Infernape/Heatran focuses more on extra damage and runs Bucks and Plus Powers, but I've noticed that Plus Power and Bucks only add +10 damage (+20 combined), while an extra energy on the Infernape adds +40 damage, so I am rethinking what path I want to take. I am going to try Stark Mountain and see if it improves it any.

Yeah, it seems to be just a matter of preference... Both ways can work, you just need to fix it up for it...

Good luck with the deck!

Thanks!

Comments in bold.

This deck plays wierd compared to most decks... I could try explaining, but I really suck at that... I could try recording it, but that wouldn't really show what I'm thinking... It just works, I posted it here to get it sped up and that's all...

...I would start throwing insults at you, but I don't want to get infracted... I'm just going to point out that the entire post is completely stupid...

Serious?
I wonder how we got all our BR Pikachu's running decks without Claydols.
Uxie is sometimes a much better card to use.
And my Magnezone deck loves opponent's using Claydols == free prizes.

Burnspy
Do you have Furrets? Those can be very good to set up. Even better than Bronzong.

I traded for one copy of Furret, but my brother needs it more than I do... besides, Bronzong + Typhlosion = Free Energy... it's OK...

the deck would get creamed because there is no other energy type other than fire, so basically, the deck would'nt stand a chance against any water types.

Tested Matchups:

Vs. Kingdra (10-90)

You have to be REALLY lucky, or this match is an autoloss, it IS possible to hold on for a while however...

Thanks for stating the obvious -_- :nonono::nonono::nonono: :nonono::nonono::nonono::nonono::nonono::nonono: :nonono:

There aren't any Water deck's I've seen faster than Kingdra... and I do, in fact, lose very badly, but I still have a chance of taking a few prizes...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back