Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Interesting Misdreavus card

Turbo Blastoise

Hi, I wonder if I'm interpreting this card correctly. The card i'm talking about is Skyridge Misdreavus. It has an interesting attack called Gift of Spite which states: "Count the # of your pokemon in play with damage counters on them. Put that many damage counters on the defending Pokemon." Now it sounds like to me for example that Pokemon A on my bench could have 4 damage counters and Pokemon B could have 2 damage counters so that means that when I use Gift of Spite, I would do 60 damage. Is that correct and if not why? By the way, there is no ruling on this card on either the Compendium EX or the old Compendium so don't bother trying. So am I interpreting this card correctly?

It says count the Number of your POKEMON, not damage, so, I think if you have two Pokemon on the bench, one with 40, and one with 20 it will only do 20, i think

~Eevee

From the Skyridge Oracle:
Gift Of Spite
Count the number of your Pokémon with damage counters on them. Put that many damage counters on the Defending Pokémon
If you had 2 Pokémon with damage counters on them, the amount of damage on them is immaterial. The dependant factor is the number of damaged Pokémon.

Your example would not do any damage at all. You are placing damage counters. In your case, you would place two damage counters on the Defending Pokémon.

Yeah, I made that same mistake myself

"T-B",

I made that same mistake myself using Skyridge's Misdreavus. I actually had a lot of success using that stragegy, defeating my 12 year old son numerous times with it. (I had it in a Psychic deck with some Gardevoir and Gardevoir EXs). When one would accumulate excessive damage, I would bench it and pull Misdreavus out.

Then, when we went to a local Wizards to play someone there said that you can only count the number of POKEMON that have damage on them, and not the total number of damage counters themselves.

Since then I've been using Expedidtion's Chansey the same way. It is a colorless basic that has 90 HP.

It has two attacks. The second, Dogpile, uses 3 colorless energy cards and reads:
"Count the number of Poke'mon on your Bench. This attack does 10 times that number of damage to the Defending Pokemon, and Chansey does 10 times that number of damage to itself."

Now, the unfortunate thing here is that there's a chance Chansey will knock itself out in addition to the defending Poke'mon if it uses this attack. However, if you're careful with its use, it can help you out in a battle.

I've added ioto a Water deck that I've composed, that has Wailord EXs. Once one of my Wailord EXs have accumulated good amount of damage I switch or retreat it, pull out Chansey and do its Dogpile attack.

Although it's more than likely going to KO itself, if it is going up against an EX card you will end up taking two prizes to your opponent's one.

In addition, if it's going up against a Pokemon that's been evolved and powered up (and the opponent doesn't have much of anything else on their bench to "come out at play" next then this can help change the momemtum in a game.

I would usually try to use it only in these two cases, or when I'll get a distinct advantage in using it.

- Tony

Am I to understand that you are doing the amount of damage that is on your benched Pokemon using Dogpile?
That is not correct. You only count the number of Pokemon and do that damage (10-60 damage for 1-6 Pokemon). You don't do the damage (that is on all of those Pokemon). The phrase in parenthesis would need to be there to do that.

PokePop,

Now you have me confused here.

First, it would never be 1 - 6 Pokemon to take into account for the damage calculation, since the attack is only taking into account benched Pokemon.

Next, the sentence that (now) has me confused is the one that says: "This attack does 10 times that number of damage to the Defending Poke'mon..." Does the "that number" phrase apply to the number of Pokemon on the Bench or the damage on the Pokemon on the bench?

Regardless though, the wording of this attack leads easily to a confused interpretation.

It would be clearer if it read:
"This attack does 10 times that number of damage counters to the Defending Poke'mon"
or
"This attack does damage equal to 10 times that number of Poke'mon.")

- Tony

Last edited:
DarkTyranitar said:
"Count the number of Poke'mon on your Bench. This attack does 10 times that number of damage to the Defending Pokemon, and Chansey does 10 times that number of damage to itself."

Think of it this way, "Count the number of Poke'mon on your Bench." which will be either 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5. Then onto the next part, "This attack does 10 times that number of damage to the Defending Pokemon" and "that number" refers to the number that you use from the first sentence which is 1-5. Lets say its 4. Then it would basically read:

This attack does 10 times 4 damage to the Defending Pokemon, and Chansey does 10 times 4 damage to itself.

I hope that helps.

Last edited:
Back