Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Iron Chef Replacement Interviews (Replacement Chosen!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyrus

Iron Chef - Master Emeritus
Hey guys,

First off, major congratulations to Mikey "Magnechu" F. , for winning the 256-person Iron Chef: Age of Klaczynski tournament...To have won a deckbuilding contest more competitive than most National Championships is a major honor!

Another major honor, though, was my judging and organizing of this eventt. But, all things must come to pass, and that includes my management of these things. For the time being, I will not be the primary organizer of any Iron Chef events other than the Tournament of Champions.

However, I don't want to see this thing go down in flames - I want there to be more Iron Chefs...and I'd even like to compete in one or two. :thumb:

Therefore, I have decided to hold an "interview process," where I will find an heir to the organization of these things!

More information coming soon...Very soon. Please keep an eye if you are interested.

Back to back posts merged. The following information has been added:

The process for this will be really simple:

-All who are interested in becoming the next "Iron Chef Master" - or tournament organizer - must private message me answers back to my interview questions, listed below.

-My interview deadline is...Whenever I feel like making it. So feel free to wait a while before sending in...Just remember that the early bird gets the worm. :wink:

*I'd suggest you do it within a week or two of me posting this message...

-Keep your interview PM's concise! You can give me all of the information that I want without writing a James Fenimore Cooper novel.

INTERVIEW QUESTIONS

-The Basics-

#1: What is your real name?

#2: What area of the world are you from?

-On Pokemon Expertise-

#3: What is one of your greatest accomplishments in Pokemon TCG?

#4: When at Pokemon TCG events, are you most often a player, a judge, an organizer, or none of the aforementioned?

#5: How long have you been playing the Pokemon TCG?

-On Iron Chef Experience-

#6: How many Pokemon Iron Chef competitions have you observed? How many have you actually competed in?

#7: If you have competed, then how well have you done?

#8: Are you already qualified for the Iron Chef: Tournament of Champions?

-On Vision-

#9: What do you seek to do regarding grading - do you intend on sticking to the 10/5/5 system? If not, then what do you intend on doing?

#10: Will you include assistant judges to help you with your tournament/s? If so, then how will you manage them, and what will their power be relative to yours?

#11: Quasi-hypothetical scenario...Say that you have to judge an entry from one of your siblings, or from one of your good friends. Will you do anything in particular to avoid the appearance of impropriety, or will you simply judge the match?

#12: As witnessed in the last Iron Chef tournament, attendance has the potential to be massive. Do you have any special ideas on how to cope with this? Are you going to cap attendance, do weed-out rounds, etc, etc?

#13: Speaking of overall organization...Just how will you run go through these tournaments? Pods? Pods+Single Elimination? Single Elimination? Something completely wacky and different?

-Other-

#14: How much time would you have to devote to Iron Chef?

#15: What is your general policy regarding late and illegal entries...Do you do penalties, make exceptions, etc?

#16: How will you do your grading of entries? Will you issue written reasons for why you ruled the way that you did, or simply issue scores and leave it at that?

#17: When judging, do you have any preference of good lists to good ideas, or vice-versa? How weak does one or the other have to be in order for you to ignore your preference?

*That is, how bad can a deck list be before you ignore your slant towards good ideas, or likewise, how unoriginal can a concept be before you ignore your slant towards good lists? Assuming you do have a slant...

#18: Will you supply prizes? If so, then what are some of your ideas for doing this?

-Goofy Questions-

#19: When have you done your very worst at a Pokemon tournament?

#20: What deck is your all-time favorite in any Modified format?

Last edited:
Heya,

When we PM this to you, would you like to be able to see the original questions with our answers or will answers just be fine. Just wondering, because mine won't fit in a PM without removing the questions (and, no, I didn't write a full novella this time; its just over 4 pages in Word. You questions alone were over 2...). thanks!

~Cardz.

I hereby nominate Mikey to run the next Iron Chef.

I thought that myself, that the winner should be Iron Chef master... but why does it make sense to stop them from playing something they are good at by judging? That would be like if POP made Ness a head judge so he couldn't compete.

Heya,

When we PM this to you, would you like to be able to see the original questions with our answers or will answers just be fine. Just wondering, because mine won't fit in a PM without removing the questions (and, no, I didn't write a full novella this time; its just over 4 pages in Word. You questions alone were over 2...). thanks!

~Cardz.

Go ahead and send it in two PM's. : )

I think Pooka also should apply for that.
He's one of the most experienced deckbuilder and ICC players so he can judge it perfectly.

Pidgeotto Trainer also is an important candidate.

So i ask Kyle and Ross to apply for that, if they have enough time!!!

=(.

I even edited out the questions and it still came it at over 5000 characters. I didn't think I wrote too much...

Answers submitted, though. Thanks for allowing the two PMs!

~JP.

The tournament was VERY GOOD. major congratulations to you.

I don't know how much time it consumed but if you were to say too much I would not be surprised. Have you considered having the competitors also provide the marking effort? each competitor would be given a number of other players decks to assess. The math to combine the results of multiple comparisons isn't easy but already exists and should not be impossible to provide. Plackett-Luce models for those that want to google. Your role would then be to set the tasks and do spot checks on the marking by the competitiors of others entries.

Just a thought.

Major props for a great event. Hope you can find some way of continuing.

Hey gang,

I'm close to determining my successor. If you would like to be considered, then you MUST send me a PM by THIS Friday, at 11:59 PM CST!

Although I have a very good idea of who I'd like to take over out of who has sent in, I still want submissions; I still want more competition in an already competitive interview process.

Good luck to all!

Last edited:
First off, thanks go out to everyone who applied. It's nice to see people loyal to the continuation of this contest.

Secondly...And perhaps most importantly...

The next Iron Chef "Master" will be...

BLiZzArD!

Because of his experience as a player, his experience as a world class judge, his good will in all major Pokemon TCG online communities, and especially his ancient history with Iron Chef, I have chosen him to take over the contest.

Best of luck, Ken! I have a feeling that you'll make this contest the best it can possibly be.

Awesome, can't wait to play in another IC-especially because it'll be the first one Kettler isn't judging. It'll be interesting to see the judging style changes and even the challenge changes.

Thank you so much Kettler for running great tournament, hope to see you back to run the ToC. GL to Ken!

May I know the runner up, if possible in case Blizz cant do due to reasons?

Sorry, but I didn't make the selection based on "1st, 2nd, etc..." I simply chose one person, and only one person to take it over.

RE Mikey: Yeah, it'll also be interesting because this would be the first Iron Chef I'd be competing in in five years. :thumb:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back