Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Is Gothitelle outdone?

Electrode

I've been running Gothitelle/Reuniclus with dragons for the past couple of months, I do well at my league and did mediocre (2-3) at the first City championship I attented this year. I plan on going to a second one this weekend. Would it be a good idea to try to pick something else? I don't have much - Goth is my only finished deck. I don't see many people playing it.

I run 3-1-3 Gothitelle and Reuniclus, 1 Shaymin, 1 Jirachi, 1 Cleffa, and 1 of each of the dragons.

Last edited:
Gothitelle alone isn't done, but I feel as though Reuniclus is... Mewtwo is going to see a lot of play, especially in it's first few months of play. May even be used as a tech in nearly every deck, too. Not to mention, the power and priority that lightning has, you can almost bet that Raikou will be finding a lot of playability, too.

Gothitelle alone isn't done, but I feel as though Reuniclus is... Mewtwo is going to see a lot of play, especially in it's first few months of play. May even be used as a tech in nearly every deck, too. Not to mention, the power and priority that lightning has, you can almost bet that Raikou will be finding a lot of playability, too.

Are there any other options for a goth deck then? I was thinking about putting in a Mewtwo EX or two when it comes out, but the next cities is luckily before Next Destinies. I know I might have to work out a new deck when ND comes out, but what do you think my outlook for cities would be?

Are there any other options for a goth deck then? I was thinking about putting in a Mewtwo EX or two when it comes out, but the next cities is luckily before Next Destinies. I know I might have to work out a new deck when ND comes out, but what do you think my outlook for cities would be?

There's plenty. The only thing Reuniclus does is divert the attention and force you to keep your active healthy. You're forgetting that with Gothitelle out, you're limiting there options and not yourself. You can still abuse whatever you want to stockpile more Goths on your bench or build a powerhouse with Mewtwo EX. Not to mention there's A LOT of useful ability Pokemon in Next Destinies to pair up with. People aren't thinking the rest of the set but rather "Mewtwo EX."

There's plenty. The only thing Reuniclus does is divert the attention and force you to keep your active healthy. You're forgetting that with Gothitelle out, you're limiting there options and not yourself. You can still abuse whatever you want to stockpile more Goths on your bench or build a powerhouse with Mewtwo EX. Not to mention there's A LOT of useful ability Pokemon in Next Destinies to pair up with. People aren't thinking the rest of the set but rather "Mewtwo EX."

See, obviously what I did with Reuniclus was move the damage to one (or more) of the dragons to outrage as a back up if Goth was knocked out. So It wasn't just a method for keeping Gothitelle safe, so I can't think of what else I can use. I don't know of any other Pokemon I can get in for Cities since ND isn't out yet.
Suggestions?

Honestly, I feel like Goth has had a great run but it's no longer as good as it used to be. Prior to NV, Magnezone did not have any form of energy acceleration. However, with Eel released in Magnezone, it can get 2 energy attachments per turn and easily KO a charged up Gothitelle while Gothitelle has trouble responding. It's still a great deck, and if your area does not have many Eel/Zone decks, I think it's still very viable but as the deck that has won the most Cities in Masters thus far, there's not much Goth can do to beat it.

I agree with Prod, As goth getting kocked out in 1 hit by a magnezone or other heavy tankers, there is no point for reuniclis, and idk what your deck list looks like but i recommend defender for gothitelle if you see a magnezone coming up on your opponenets bench or what not. Just a suggestion for heavily armed tankers ;)

Yeah, Gothitelle just can't keep up in this format. It's main competition is far too fast and hits way too hard for it to maintain a consistent damage output to keep up. If you're really insistent, you'd need to speed up somehow, primarily either through Jirachi + Shaymin or Electrode Prime. Both are with their risks, but if you want to run Gothitelle, you'll need to do the extra leg work.

Dont forget that NV also brought us Cobalion, which can be the bane of goths existence. Also an early glaciate from Kyurem will lock goth out of Reuniclus. Durant can quickly mill its way to victory too.
Honestly, Goth's time in the sun has quickly faded. If its all you think you can build, then stick with it, tech it out with defenders(for magnezone, kyurem, lanturn and cobalion) and find someway to deal with durant. But I'd really suggest you start looking elsewhere. Goth isnt going to get better with ND
Posted with Mobile style...

While I do believe that Goth is outclassed in many ways now, as the purpose of Goth/Clus is made moot by the damage Mewtwo and some of the other EXs do that doesn't mean that Goth itself is finished since Gardevoir is coming out this set, which with a Jirachi as your energy support could cause problems for Mewtwo (since if done well Mewtwo is OHKO'd and you still have lock on them.)

Yeah, Gothitelle just can't keep up in this format. It's main competition is far too fast and hits way too hard for it to maintain a consistent damage output to keep up. If you're really insistent, you'd need to speed up somehow, primarily either through Jirachi + Shaymin or Electrode Prime. Both are with their risks, but if you want to run Gothitelle, you'll need to do the extra leg work.

I have both Jirachi and Shaymin in my deck. I can get set up fairly fast - (for a Gothitelle deck, that is.)
Three out of my five matches I faced were Magnezone decks, and I only won one of them. I can manage against Magnezone, but it's played so much I don't think I have a chance.

I usually start off with a dragon or two when it comes to magnezone so I can absorb damage while I build Goth, and by the time it gets out I can take down Magnezone.
The only deck that gave me complete trouble was fliptini/vanilluxe/vileplume. Sucks having your trainer locking strategy thrown right back at you. The guy would just not roll quad tails.

---------- Post added 01/04/2012 at 05:31 AM ----------

It's still a great deck, and if your area does not have many Eel/Zone decks, I think it's still very viable but as the deck that has won the most Cities in Masters thus far, there's not much Goth can do to beat it.

The first Cities I went to had a lot of Zone/Eel decks. I'm going out a bit far, about an hour away, for the second one. I'm not sure if the some of the same people will be there or if it's similar to the one closer to me. So I really have no clue!

If you're thinking for the current meta, then Gothitelle is still playable, but it's very difficult with all the Magnezones running around. Since you say that Gothitelle is the only deck you have, I'm going to give you some advice moving forward in terms of the metagame for states.

One thing I think you have to keep in mind is the fact that Mewtwo EX is splashable because of its colorless energy requirement. Yes, it's getting a lot of hype like Gengar (Prime), but Gengar (Prime) required the whole deck to be built around it. Mewtwo EX will be splashed into any basics-heavy or energy acceleration deck, just because it already fits into the strategy. Typhlosion can use it, Eelektrik can use it, and it even fits into 6 corners.

Mewtwo EX will most likely mean the end of Gothitelle. A fully powered Gothitelle succumbs to a Mewtwo EX with only a DCE, and Gothitelle needs 3 Psychic energy to one-shot Mewtwo EX (assuming no Eviolite). Yes, trainer lock still hurts Mewtwo EX, and Mewtwo EX gives up two prizes, but Mewtwo EX is so much more efficient than Gothitelle despite the 2 prizes given up.

You should probably start thinking about decks other than Gothitelle/Reuniclus. It's had a good run, but it's hard to see it surviving in the format after Next Destinies is released.

If you're thinking for the current meta, then Gothitelle is still playable, but it's very difficult with all the Magnezones running around. Since you say that Gothitelle is the only deck you have, I'm going to give you some advice moving forward in terms of the metagame for states.

One thing I think you have to keep in mind is the fact that Mewtwo EX is splashable because of its colorless energy requirement. Yes, it's getting a lot of hype like Gengar (Prime), but Gengar (Prime) required the whole deck to be built around it. Mewtwo EX will be splashed into any basics-heavy or energy acceleration deck, just because it already fits into the strategy. Typhlosion can use it, Eelektrik can use it, and it even fits into 6 corners.

Mewtwo EX will most likely mean the end of Gothitelle. A fully powered Gothitelle succumbs to a Mewtwo EX with only a DCE, and Gothitelle needs 3 Psychic energy to one-shot Mewtwo EX (assuming no Eviolite). Yes, trainer lock still hurts Mewtwo EX, and Mewtwo EX gives up two prizes, but Mewtwo EX is so much more efficient than Gothitelle despite the 2 prizes given up.

You should probably start thinking about decks other than Gothitelle/Reuniclus. It's had a good run, but it's hard to see it surviving in the format after Next Destinies is released.

That's what I have figured. It's my only completed deck, I am putting together a Durant but I don't have the time nor money to finish it by this weekend, when Cities is.
I will retire my Gothitelle deck once Spring BRs / States rolls around. I might still use it at my league for a while to get the last of it - even after N.D. I just started playing the TCG recently and Gothitelle was my first deck, so I'm kinda reluctant to take it down, though I know for a fact there is no way I could survive any tournament after this Cities.

I am going for current meta. Do you have any tips to help me speed up Goth just for this weekend, at least? I run 3-1-3 Gothitelle, 3-1-3 Reuniclus, 1 of each dragon, Jirachi, Shaymin and a Cleffa.
I have Collectors, candies, etc, all the basics. I built my deck off of the skeleton list on the Deck Out for "The Gothic Girl." If that information helps.

That's what I have figured. It's my only completed deck, I am putting together a Durant but I don't have the time nor money to finish it by this weekend, when Cities is.
I will retire my Gothitelle deck once Spring BRs / States rolls around. I might still use it at my league for a while to get the last of it - even after N.D. I just started playing the TCG recently and Gothitelle was my first deck, so I'm kinda reluctant to take it down, though I know for a fact there is no way I could survive any tournament after this Cities.

I am going for current meta. Do you have any tips to help me speed up Goth just for this weekend, at least? I run 3-1-3 Gothitelle, 3-1-3 Reuniclus, 1 of each dragon, Jirachi, Shaymin and a Cleffa.
I have Collectors, candies, etc, all the basics. I built my deck off of the skeleton list on the Deck Out for "The Gothic Girl." If that information helps.

I'm not too familiar with Gothitelle play, but I would like to consider myself generally a good enough deckbuilder and aware enough of game variables to generally do okay. So, let's start with the supplied skeleton list:

4x Gothita(Hypnotic Gaze)
2x Gothorita(Deleting Glare)
3x Gothitelle
3x Solosis
1x Duosion
2x Reuniclus
1x Zekrom
1x Reshiram
1-2 Starter
= 18-19

Trainer:

4x Pokémon Collector
4x Pokémon Communication
4x Rare Candy
4x Twins
2x Max Potion
3x Junk Arm
2x Pokémon Catcher
=23

Energy:

3x Double Colorless Energy
9x Psychic Energy
=12

Okay, so the current major meta decks at this moment are:

• Magnezone/Eelektrik
  • Zekrom/Pachirisu/Shaymin/Tornadus
  • Chandelure
  • Kyurem/Cobalion/Electrode
  • Vileplume/Reuiniclus/SuicuneEntei LEGEND/Donphan/Zekrom
  • Zekrom/Reshiram/Kyruem/Virizion/Terrakion/variants
  • Lanturn/Eelektrik
  • Donphan/Zekrom/Reshiram/Kyruem
  • Magnezone/Yanmega
  • Durant
  • Reshiram/Typloshion

**Credit to Shino's Midpoint Analysis Article.

So let's start marking down the decks we've got to go against.

Magnezone / Eelektrik: This'll be your main challenge. Magnezone can overpower and outspeed Gothitelle, so you'll be need to counter Magnezone somehow. It's going to be hard to take on Magnezone. My only suggestion in this case is to play a spread game. You'll probably want to run more aggressive Sage and Juniper lines with a Goth run. Your play might rather be devolving Magnezones rather than aiming to OHKO them. My suggest is to play aggressive Catchers on their Magnezones, put 50+ damage on them, and then devolve them. For all else, aim for the Eelektriks. + Jirachis, + topdeck supporters

ZPST: Last I knew, Gothitelle did alright in keeping Zekrom in check. I'm assuming you're good with Zekrom, so I'm gonna not really focus on it.

Chandelure: This is a touch matchup no matter how you cut it. They can Ability snipe, use Status Conditions, hit for weakness and function under a lock extremely well. Your best bet is to run a solid Absol line, and hit with Vicious Claw as fast as you can. Jirachi and Shaymin should be able to accelerate you so that it doesn't become a complete autolock. Don't focus on the lock - focus on striking down the Chandelures before they get three energies on them. +Absol Prime, +Rainbow

CoKE: Another tough matchup. Cobalion will not only attack-lock your Gothitelles, but also prevent you from doing optimal damage due to resistance and Special Metal. Kyurem will do a number on your bench. There's nothing to devolve, and you can't Twins until they go on the offensive, by which it may become too late. There's really good way to approach this. My only suggestion is to strike their Voltorbs as fast as possible to prevent Energymites. It's not a glamorous strategy, but it's really all you've got going in this matchup. V-Create Victini may work, but it's pretty superfluous.

Ross Variants: Just go with your original strategy, whatever it is against Ross variants.

Lanturn / Eelektrik: You should be able to overpower them if you establish a 2 Gothitelle lock (1 energyless active, build one on bench).

Donphan and Dragons: You should be fine, last I checked.

Magnezone / Yanmega: Maintain whatever strategy you had for this.

Durant: This is probably the most difficult one, to be honest. There's so much setup required for Gothitelle that no matter what you do, you're in a bad position. There's so much setup required for Gothitelle that T1 4-card Devours will set you back fearsomely. Your best bet is to establish a quick and stacking Gothitelle multiple energies, and snipe their Rotoms to prevent them from hitting you. Electrode Prime in this case should put them back on Twins for a little bit and you on the offensive. You'll be limiting Crushing Hammers and Revives, so just keep that 'sweet spot' damage amount to take on the ants. It's not glamorous, but it's better than nothing. +Electrode Prime

Reshiram / Typhlosion: Maintain your strategy.

So, what's to take from all this? Well, looking at the situation in Noble Victories and onwards, if you want to play Gothitelle, my argument would be you'll need to focus less on Tank-Gothitelle and more on Aggro-accelerate Gothitelle.

To work with Gothitelle in the current format:

My suggestion is to run thicker counter lines. Ditch Reshiram in favour of V-Create Victini so you can more easily take down Cobalions. The less you need to setup against those types of decks, the better. Instead of Zekrom, my suggestion is to run Terrakion so that if you're fighting Magnezone Prime, you're going to be taking at least one down with you. It's not optimal, but we're not going for a 50-50 matchup; we're aiming to prevent an autoloss (which is what we're very close to right now).

I would also suggest minimising the Reuniclus line to a thinner, perhaps even nonexistant one, and running an Electrode Prime (3-3 is optimal) line to power you or whatever counters you have up and start swinging as soon as possible. Reuniclus is nice, but it's not going to help you in this format as much with Kyurem on the prowl, because you'll just be softening yourself up, and putting a lot of damage counters on certain Pokemon is just too risky right now.

I would definitely suggest both a thicker Jirachi and Shaymin line. If you're running something along the lines of 2-1 Jirachi-Shaymin or 1-1, I suggest 2-2. In any counter-deck, Shaymin is the undisputed MVP because he can move energies without hurting. This is crucial. Jirachi will likewise become more important because you'll want to be doing Basic-Stage 1 damage kills, not high damage kills (you devolve and subsequent knock out Pokemon with 50-80 damage on them).

So my suggestion would be:

4x Gothita(Hypnotic Gaze)
2x Gothorita(Deleting Glare)
3x Gothitelle
3x Voltorb
3x Electrode Prime
1x Cleffa
1x V-Create Victini
1x Terrakion
1x Absol Prime
1 Jirachi
2 Shaymin

4x Pokémon Collector
4x Pokémon Communication
4x Rare Candy
4x Twins
1x Super Rod
4x Junk Arm
2x Max Potion
2x Pokémon Catcher

4x Rainbow Energy
2x Double Colorless Energy
7x Psychic Energy

It looks extremely awkward, I know, and my apologies, but I have a blind understanding of what your meta is like, so I'm working on the statistics provided by Shino Bug Master. I've eschewed the Reuniclus line entirely because you're working with faster decks that can OHKO you. You'll want to try and get something like a powered Gothitelle up faster.

4 Rainbow, I think, is crucial, because if you want to have a fighting chance against decks like Magnezone, you'll need them to power up Retaliate to take a Magnezone down with you. Absol Prime, likewise, is good for taking on Chandelures, and Victini should (optimally) take down one Cobalion, and therefore should buy you a turn or two to have an offensive that can last.

This is untested, so my suggestion, if you're wanting to run Gothitelle still, is to proxy and see how it functions, if there are good or bad hiccups, and change accordingly. Now, I've added two Shaymins because the second one is vital to moving and countering. Against Magnezone, my suggestion is to aim for three Gothitelles and Terrakion, have them pushed into a Lost Burn scenario and then use Retaliates. It's very hard to keep active pressure (disruption, heavy attacks) with Gothitelle, since Gothitelle is more focused on passive pressure (trainer locking), and Magnezone can wriggle its way out of passive pressure pretty well.

Absol Prime will help against Chandelure. Start a swift lock as fast as you can with an active, energyless Goth, and then attach to Absol Prime to hit for 140 with Vicious Claws. Your best play I can see is to manually retreat Goths to promote powered Absol, play down Jirachi, Stardust song the discarded energy back, and then attack with Vicious Claw. Shaymin energy onto Gothitelle if Absol Prime is knocked out from Jirachi, leaving one. Hope you can kill with devolving.

With Durant, your best bet is to tank an active Gothitelle and just keep hitting. Aim for stuff that doesn't have Eviolite or Special Metals on them yet, since they'll be the cheapest things to knock out. As long as you have Gothitelle active, they can't just Revive, Crushing Hammer, Lost Remover, Catchers, etc., on you.

To work with Gothitelle in Next Destinies:

Gothitelle will get a boost from Gardevoir. In this situation, you should probably still focus on a Goth / Electrode run, but this time instead of a bunch of techs, you use Gardevoir on the bench to augment your Psychic energies. Mewtwo EX will be a problem, but that requires segmenting careful attachments more than anything. In fairness, though, if you have a Gardevoir in play, you'll only need need two psychic energy to OHKO Mewtwo (assuming they run Eviolite). That said, you'll need to get two Stage 2's in play, and then get appropriate attachments on them. That's easier said than done.

Now, I'm not going to supply a decklist for the Next Destinies one, since I generally don't want to make a deck before we can figure out precisely how the meta's going to play out (since I'm not crazy), but my position is that if you still plan on playing Gothitelle, you'll be playing it with Electrode and Gardevoir. There's really no other viable way to do it that I'm seeing.

Overall...

You're dealing with Gothitelle aggro, not Gothitelle tank, if you want to do well with it. It's a slow Pokemon that's meant to tank, but since it can't, the only thing you can do now is to speed it up and play heavy pressure. Gothitelle / Electrode, I would argue, is more viable in this current format than Gothitelle / Reuniclus, just primarily on the fact that Gothitelle / Electrode can still function with counters to make your autolosses less of an autoloss. Of course, you're nowhere near 50-50, but my position is that if you want to make Gothitelle 'work' in this format, you're going to have to speed it up, not tank it out.

Gothitelle is still really good if you get it out on turn 2. You can practically beat any deck with a turn 2 gothitelle, including Magnezone (remember they have to go through their stage 1, and you can still play catchers). Against Chandelure if you hit turn 2 goth you can catcher oddishes and most Vileplume decks play one Gloom max, so if Goth it down and you have the catcher, Plume won't hit the table.

Unfortunately, relying on a turn 2 rare candy into a stage 2 AND the fact that your opponent can't have done the same (or else you lose essentially) isn't the most reliable strategy ever. Things like Magnezone and CKE have insane nut draw potential, but also don't fold because they don't get it every time.

I've tried Gothitelle/Electrode quite a bit, and it hasn't really produced that great of results. Without Reuniclus (and if you have all 3 in there, you're really inconsistent), the deck struggles against decks that normal Gothitelle would destroy, while still not having favorable matchups vs. things like Magnezone or Lanturn.

Gothitelle, as people have said earlier in this thread, isn't as strong as it previously was during Battle Roads and Regionals, but it can still be a viable choice. Jason K. and Ross C. have both been top cutting numerous cities among stiff competition (and it included a lot of Magnezone), and the deck is still a solid choice at the moment.

Unfortunately, I think trying to make Gothitelle work post-ND is pointless. Not only does the biggest hyped card completely mop up any chance of a tank Gothitelle strategy, but now damage caps of 150 are going to be the normal. GothTrode is an interesting take on the deck, but overall against Mewtwo you trade a stage 1 and a stage 2 with 3 energies for...a basic with a DCE. That trade won't end up in your favor in the long run, and I feel like Gothitelle is a dead end for states onward.

Gothitelle, as people have said earlier in this thread, isn't as strong as it previously was during Battle Roads and Regionals, but it can still be a viable choice. Jason K. and Ross C. have both been top cutting numerous cities among stiff competition (and it included a lot of Magnezone), and the deck is still a solid choice at the moment.

That's good to know. I mean, even though I was 2-3 at Cities with it, I didn't lose all of my matches terribly. I put up a pretty good fight. The only deck I had no chance against was some type of Hydreigon-Reshiram-Emboar-Magnezone thing which I thought was weird but he got Hydreigon out turn two and two of my Gothitelle were prized. He /killed/ me. Everything else went pretty smooth, though. I'm sure I won't get top cut, but I'm aiming to at least do a little better than last Cities at this upcoming one.

I'm aware of the fact I won't be able to use Gothitelle for anything other than casual gameplay ND forward.

I'm just now started to follow the meta, but what are some good decks that aren't a huge investment because I'm not swimming in money?
I know CaKE is pretty good, but I don't really see why Electrode helps too much. I really like Cobalion. I'm not sure how expensive that would be, I guess I could go look it up.

Man....no mention of the Gardevoir we are getting in ND that doubles psy energy attached and the fact that Goth's attack states energy not energy cards? I can see Mewtwo and a some other things beat it but goth is still very good. Maybe not with reuniclus but it still has a chance.

Man....no mention of the Gardevoir we are getting in ND that doubles psy energy attached and the fact that Goth's attack states energy not energy cards? I can see Mewtwo and a some other things beat it but goth is still very good. Maybe not with reuniclus but it still has a chance.

It's barely worth playing now, post ND I doubt it'll see much or any tournament play. It makes me sad, I loved playing it. But I'm working on a Chandelure/Vileplume thing right now, I seems like it might work out. It definitely won't get finished by cities, but by states/spring BRs I can finish it.

I know CaKE is pretty good, but I don't really see why Electrode helps too much. I really like Cobalion. I'm not sure how expensive that would be, I guess I could go look it up.

Main strategy of CoKE/CaKE is to quickly stack some energy on a Cobalion or Kyurem and antagonize your opponent's field. It gives trainer lock decks fits by shutting off the twins engine, and if you power up Kyurem early, they can never make use of Reuniclus because Solosis has 30 HP. I like the deck because it's volatile and can just take games right from the start. I dislike that sometimes you start with Voltorbs or have to Electrode blindly and hope for the best. Electrode just speeds up both of your main attackers, and the look on your opponents face when you use energy mite, place energy on Pokemon and use N like Judge is priceless.

I lament the decline of Gothitelle as well, but have settled into a different archetype already.

Main strategy of CoKE/CaKE is to quickly stack some energy on a Cobalion or Kyurem and antagonize your opponent's field. It gives trainer lock decks fits by shutting off the twins engine, and if you power up Kyurem early, they can never make use of Reuniclus because Solosis has 30 HP. I like the deck because it's volatile and can just take games right from the start. I dislike that sometimes you start with Voltorbs or have to Electrode blindly and hope for the best. Electrode just speeds up both of your main attackers, and the look on your opponents face when you use energy mite, place energy on Pokemon and use N like Judge is priceless.

I lament the decline of Gothitelle as well, but have settled into a different archetype already.

Ah, I see.
I'm thinking about going with a Chandelure-Vileplume thing, mainly because I've seen how well it does and I like how it plays.
(I also have most of the cards already :lol:)

Back