Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Is Landorus EX still good?

pokedan24

Not that I'm complaining about no more first turn donks, but that was one of the strengths of Lando. Also, Mr Mime is played a lot more now. He turns hammerhead from a 60 damage attack into a 30 damage attack. So despite these weaknesses, is Landorus still a solid card? I would think so, but I haven't played in a while so I could be wrong.

Purely based on Theorymon...

No.

If it turns out few people are running even a TecHed copy of Mr. Mime, Landorus EX has a much better chance of surviving. Otherwise the card's strength wasn't just the chance of scoring a donk; it was the good damage for a single Fighting Energy which included softening up the Bench. Knowing that half the time, you'll be forced to use an alternate opener or else have Landorus EX up front (probably taking a hit) but missing out on that opening shot really hurts it.

How often did you see decks relying on the second attack? Not just using it, but focusing on it?

Despite the increased usage of Mr. Mime, I still run Landorus EX in 2 of my decks: Big Basics with Garbodor and Empoleon. In matches where I run BBwG, Mr. Mime is a non-issue - Lando still performs quite well with the 30-30 damage output. With Empoleon, should my opponent have a bench-protecting Mr. Mime, I still find Lando quite useful, especially when my opponent declares, "I did not see that coming," an unexpected Land's Judgment attack.

On the other hand, Empoleon deck usage has also increased given recent tournament successes. Empoleon's somewhat "easy" ability to 1HKO a Landorus EX may have decreased players' interest in running Lando too.

Needless to say, running Landorus EX effectively and successfully is highly deck-dependent (like any Poké). For me, I will still use it where it "fits."

In matches where I run BBwG, Mr. Mime is a non-issue - Lando still performs quite well with the 30-30 damage output.

That was a terrible oversight of mine; thank you for pointing out that perhaps the most prominent partner for Landorus EX in the past is the Pokémon run to shut off Abilities and thus make Mr. Mime just a juicy little target if someone actually plays him down against the two. XD

I do still want to get more actual tournament data to see how Landorus EX and its new inability to attack on the very first turn of the game (and indeed, for many previously potent openers) plays out.

big basics with lando is still popular in my area and mr. mime is also so yes he is still useable and a good card and besides alot of people only run one mime anyway once thats gone or its ability is down lando will have a field day

Back