Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Is the Impact of Hard Counters Overestimated?

Weedler

Anyone remember a few months before the release of Legend Maker? The general consensus at the time was that Cursed Stone, Giant Stump, and Lunarock where going to destroy the format as we know it. The same goes for Pidgeot d.

Looking at the format a few months later, what impact have theses cards had on the format? Lunarock has evolved into a decent deck, but I've seen little out of the other 'format breaking cards'. It reminds me of the fervor surrounding the release of Battle Frontier, but then having a Pidgeot heavy deck win Worlds 2005.

I see the same attitude towards Cessation Crystal. It appears to be a 'hard counter' to many decks in the format, but like many of the other hard counters we've seen released in the past few months I'd wager that its impact is overhyped.

Weedler said:
Anyone remember a few months before the release of Legend Maker? The general consensus at the time was that Cursed Stone, Giant Stump, and Lunarock where going to destroy the format as we know it. The same goes for Pidgeot d.

Looking at the format a few months later, what impact have theses cards had on the format? Lunarock has evolved into a decent deck, but I've seen little out of the other 'format breaking cards'. It reminds me of the fervor surrounding the release of Battle Frontier, but then having a Pidgeot heavy deck win Worlds 2005.

I see the same attitude towards Cessation Crystal. It appears to be a 'hard counter' to many decks in the format, but like many of the other hard counters we've seen released in the past few months I'd wager that its impact is overhyped.

I completly agree, there are always counters to those cards, for BF it was the countergym, for Lunarock a anti basic tech, and for Seal Crystal its Windstorm. These hard counters don't break the format, they balence it out.

Ya I remember people were like BF will change the format forever.
Before that, nobody really played stadiums in there deck.

This also happens in the reversed way.
I mean people didn't think Swoop!; Jirachi(DX); Admin.; and other cards like that would be good. Now cards like Admin. are staples in decks.
O ya, the same went for Stoise Ex too!!

One card however that we knew we be good and has lived up to the hype is Mew Ex(LM).

The same will happen with this set. We will say cards like Cessation Crystal will change the game, but IMO I don't think it will.
It will just go in Raichu d/Eggs d, but other than those decks I don't think people will play it because they figure there opponent will be playing it too and not even bother playing it, or with everyone using powers nobody will end up playing it.
This did happen with BF. People were like I don't need to play it because my opponent will probably play it so it is taken care of so nobody played it at all.

That's just my opinion

Thank You,
MadHatter

MadHatter said:
Ya I remember people were like BF will change the format forever.
Before that, nobody really played stadiums in there deck.

This also happens in the reversed way.
I mean people didn't think Swoop!; Jirachi(DX); Admin.; and other cards like that would be good. Now cards like Admin. are staples in decks.
O ya, the same went for Stoise Ex too!!

One card however that we knew we be good and has lived up to the hype is Mew Ex(LM).

The same will happen with this set. We will say cards like Cessation Crystal will change the game, but IMO I don't think it will.
It will just go in Raichu d/Eggs d, but other than those decks I don't think people will play it because they figure there opponent will be playing it too and not even bother playing it, or with everyone using powers nobody will end up playing it.
This did happen with BF. People were like I don't need to play it because my opponent will probably play it so it is taken care of so nobody played it at all.

That's just my opinion

Thank You,
MadHatter
i dont agree with that. Good players should never assume anything from their opponent's deck. BF wasnt played as much because more than half the decks out their use cards that will be stopped by BF, like all the delta pokes and Pidgeot etc. IMO its the cards that people will say suck that will be good. Unless theyre HORRIBLE. Like i think Blaze ex and Swampy ex will be tanks.

cessation crystal is going to be teched in every deck (silly teching people)
if you want, you can use espeon ex/xatu dx to punish them for it
if the have one cessation crystal in play, as well as a stadium, that is +60 damage
take THAT netdeckers

metanite is going to tech 2
mercury will tech in 5
lunarock will play 12
it is going to get out of control

Mercury won't tech in quite that many. It has a number of "soft" counters (Desert Ruins, Holon Energy WP), but nothing hard.

Lol, you guys still take mercury as a serious deck?
*plays appr agains a mercury dude and gets owned*

Never Mind!

Back