It is finally happening: Starting this fall, SAME format all over the WORLD!

Discussion in 'TCG News & Gossip Discussion' started by Tego, Aug 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tego

Tego New Member

I don't know if any official confirmation has been posted/linked on the 'Gym before, but here it is:

http://www.pokemon.co.jp/special/wcs0809/card/

This Japanese special website about Worlds 2009 describes the structure and format for the upcoming prefectural, regional and national championships leading up to Worlds 2009. Scroll about 2/3 down the page, and there's an overview of legal expansions, clearly stating that the format will be DP On. This is something unique in Pokémon history - the main format will be the same for Japan, the USA and Europe + the rest of the world.

I'm very excited. The pros clearly outweigh the cons in my opinion. Sure, the metagame outside Japan will most of the time be a slow, lagging copy of Japan's. But Japan's R&D team and card developers will for the first time ever design new cards based on the metagame WE ALL play in. No horror scenarios like 9-month GG dominations anymore.

The next season is going to be incredible.

2. Prime

Prime Content Developer<br>Blog Admin<br>Contest Host

This is VERY cool.

When does the next season start for Japan?

3. dogma

dogma New Member

OMG someone actually bothered listening to me? (Well me and countless other sane people) :biggrin:

The issue with our format actually lagging Japan, whilst a good point in a technical sense, means nothing in practise. How many cross Japan-rest of world matches are there?

More importantly, was this an intentional thing or more a cosmic alignment of the stars (you know... luck?)

4. Magic_Umbreon

Magic_Umbreon Researching Tower Scientist, Retired

Wow, wow wow!

Perhaps being a set behind Japan could be agood thing, it allows archetype players to access good decklists and allows rogue players to know exactly "what works" in the format and counter it.

Whereabout on the web is the japanese equivalent of pokégym or somewhere else where they report tourneys and such?

5. Tego

Tego New Member

The prefectural championships kick off in October and run at least through December. You have to be pre-registered, with preregistration starting today (August 11) for some prefectures.

6. Burninating_Torchic

Burninating_Torchic New Member

Didn't they switch to RS-on at the same time as us (and just kept it longer)?

7. EeveeLover

EeveeLover Member Services Administrator

This is good news for all the players worldwide. Too bad they will still be at least one set ahead of us.

8. vanderbilt_grad

vanderbilt_grad New Member

This is fantastic news!

9. Ryu99

Ryu99 New Member

^^one set ahead of us is not the end of the world at least we now will have the same card pool whish is going to make next year even more interesting - balanced format yay!!

10. Alazor

Alazor Active Member

This format is going to be very interesting. :)

11. homeofmew

homeofmew Active Member

FINALLY!@ I think after IFDS comes out in the USA Grass deck will be popular.
    take a 60 hp turtwig. +20 Snowpoint +40 shaymin lv x = 120 hp turtwig.

12. DarthPika

DarthPika New Member

Does this mean that someone actually read my thread on the prof. forum and thought it would be a good idea?? :eek::eek::lol:

Probably not, but this is a VERY good time for a nice I told you so to all those who said that my idea of a world wide format wouldn't work. :tongue::tongue::lol:

13. What's next? Same age group's?

14. yoyofsho16

yoyofsho16 New Member

I would be more excited if they didn't release sets until English translations came out.

15. dtrain

dtrain New Member

^^^ You know Japan is the one who created this game so it's fine they get the cards first. I'm very excited about hearing this. Thanks Tego! :D

16. Tego

Tego New Member

Yes.

Age groups will also be exactly the same in Japan next season.

17. NEMark

NEMark New Member

Sweet!!!!!!!! Nexy tear will rock!! And are there any pokegym equivalent's in japan? If so, what is the link?

18. Sounds to good to be true. Thanks for the info. Have to get my mind back in to World's2008 thinking right now. 4 more days till the fun can begin.

19. Muk Man

Muk Man New Member

so...can we change to time plus 1turn now....

20. Pablo

Pablo New Member

The fact that cards are not released in the same time frame (we get some before others and stuff) likw what happened when we got both Gardevoir and Gallade at the same time, but the Japanese people did not, it won't be the same metagame. Until movie releases are shortened/ignored in America, it wont ever be the same.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.