Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Item Holding Pokemon- here to stay?

afirule

Just wondering what people were thinking about the new item holding pokes- Bidoof and Shinx is it? (We don't have MT yet lol)

Do you guys think that it could become a new game mechanic, like "delta" or "shining" pokemon have in the past- or just a fad?

Do you think these item holders could have trainers written around them for example? "Search your deck for an pokemon holding an item and put it into your hand. Shuffle afterwards"??????

Maybe its just something new that nintendo are trying to appear innovative?

Has anyone even noticed that we now have them in modified??????? :lol:

In shining darkness there is a murkrow and a duskull that have items that mean you can evolve them first turn! Other than them, I don't think items will do all that much to the current metagame.

I haven't seen any game-breaking item holders yet, although Murkrow and Duskull DP3 are decent I suppose. I would probably still use at least 3 DP2 Murkrow though, as it is a much better starter.

A lot of the pokemon I've seen holding items are basic pokemon that evolve, and their items usually have something to do with removing special conditions at the end of each turn. I don't see much use in this unless the metagame of this next season curves back toward the use of special conditions (like last format's Bug and anything teching Roselia, Stantler, Vibrava DF, etc.) and even then, you can just evolve any of these basics to get rid of the special condition affecting them.

I think, as long as the hold items help with Curing Special Conditions, and boost evolutions, they will stay. But when you get to certain hold items in the Video Game, such as Sticky Barb and Poison Orb, it will just get too ridiculous.

So far, the item holding Pokemon are terrible. Not only are there items unimpressive, but their attacks/the cards as a whole are bad, too.
The ones in DP3 show a LITTLE bit more promise than the DP2 ones, but not much. Hopefully DP4 and future sets will have better item-holding Pokemon.

So far, the item holding Pokemon are terrible. Not only are there items unimpressive, but their attacks/the cards as a whole are bad, too.
The ones in DP3 show a LITTLE bit more promise than the DP2 ones, but not much. Hopefully DP4 and future sets will have better item-holding Pokemon.

I totally agree! They are SHOCKING! lol

I can eventually see some sort of supporting mechanic here- but i guess it all depends on what how the creators want to change/alter the game/metagame.

Maybe eventually hold items could rival poke-bodies in prevalence/strength? :smile:

I'm quite puzzled. Are these items are one time use and still usable when they evolve?:confused:

I asked this because we still don't have MT yet. It would be nice to know this early.:smile:

No, they're more like Poke-Bodies. They can be used more than once and they disappear when the Pokemon evolves.

And... can't be stopped by PokePower/Body Canceler (LatiLock, a Muk... for now).

I'm agree with everybody, it doesn't make a difference now... but who knows in the future...

Cheers! :smile:

i can imagine things like :

" this atk does 20 more damage if the def pokemon has any berry"
or
" If u have at least 2 :water: energy on kyogre, this atk does XX more damage"

Item pokemon seem SO COOL, now they just need to make one that's actually decent/has a decent evolution.

The cards so far,

MT: Shinx, Bidoof, Buizel
DP3: Clefairy, Duskull, Murkrow
DPP: Pikachu, Gibite, Darkai
PPP: Turtwig, Chimchar, Piplup, Dialga, Palkia

The cards so far,

MT: Shinx, Bidoof, Buizel
DP3: Clefairy, Duskull, Murkrow
DPP: Pikachu, Gibite, Darkai
PPP: Turtwig, Chimchar, Piplup, Dialga, Palkia

Really? So I gusse they are here to stay?

Last edited:
Back