Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Jacob V.W. -- 1st Place Masters Oregon States --

ProfessorJacob7

I normally start off my reports with some sort of explanation of what I did the day before/morning of, but I for what ever reason I can't really remember any of that :lol: so let's just move onto the report. I played zekrom/zekrom ex/mewtwo ex/eelektrik. A couple days before I dropped collectors and put in dual ball, mainly for the sake of using dual ball to grab a mewtwo or response mewtwo, then N their hand away.

173 masters which makes 8 rounds and the capped t16.

round 1: vs Amelia B. w/ CMT
1st round and I'm already playing against a friend. boo. even to add onto that, Amelia is a world class player and I was worried about how it would go. She opens mewtwo to my tynamo, cleffa and mewtwo. I go first, in my hand is juniper, 2 lightning, DCE and an eviolite. attach DCE/eviolite and juniper into dual balls, eel, level ball, lightning and switch. This was a great way to start the day off, as it was as godly of a hand as I could hope for. I hit the mewtwo and KO it with zekrom the next turn. It comes down to my 2 prizes to her 3. she catchers an eel and N's me to two. she gets super rod to put back a mewtwo, shaymin and shaymin ex. she hurricanes the eel for 80. I don't remember what I drew, but it wasn't anything that could get my eel out of active. she KO's it, going down to 2. this is bad cuz I have a loaded mewtwo I had to attack with on the bench. i send up cleffa and my only option is to eek. she collectors for mewtwo/shaymin/shaymin ex and KOs the cleffa going to 1. in my hand is to junk arms and a couple other cards that I was OK with dumping. I junk armed for pokegear twice, whiffing the N both times and scooped knowing I wasn't going to be able to avoid a mewtwo the next turn. GG amelia :)

0-1

Round 2: vs ??? w/ reshiram/gyarados stuff...
This was a mom of a younger player who had just gotten into the game. She didn't really have a good grasp on the whole competitive idea of it, energy acceleration, etc. it was a relatively easy game. Sorry I can't remember her name.

1-1

I feel like I'm sitting at a good 1-1 because I know that Amelia is a great player and that she would probably go at least X-2 through the day. this ended up being true.

Round 3: vs ??? w/ magnezone/eels/mewtwo
I found out later that he was a dad of a younger player. He had more of a grasp on the competitiveness of the game, and not making misplays, over exerting his resources, etc. However he whiffed on the magnezone the entire game, so once I got rid of his attacking mewtwo, it was just a matter of picking off the tynamos/magnemites for another relatively easy game. Again I'm sorry I can't remember his name.

Round 4: vs Polo L w/ CMT
I hadn't met Polo until this point, but I had seen him play in a couple top cut videos posted by Fried Chicken N Rice on youtube, so I knew he was going to be a good opponent. Unfortunately, I opened with 4 energy, sages training, catcher and tynamo, going 2nd. he opens active celebi, benched mewtwo, attaches DCE to mewtwo and FB's (forest breath's) to celebi to retreat and X ball for the donk.

2-2

Now I'm a bit more worried than I was before, because I wasn't sure how many x-2's would make top 16.

Round 5: vs ??? w/ reshiram/reshi ex/typhlosion
I'm sorry I can't remember her name either. she opened reshiram, collectored for a reshiram, reshiram ex and a mewtwo ex. she then benched all of them, which confused me because normally you wouldn't bench an ex unless you planned on using it. but they just kinda sat there. she apparently HAD typhlosion or emboar in there, because she dropped a rare candy while shuffling, so I assumed she had some sort of stage 2 energy accel. why she didn't collector for it t1, I probably will never know. This was another easy game.

3-2, but still worried because I had to win out to make t16, and with 3 easy wins i felt like my resistance wasn't great.

round 6: vs ???

for some reason I can not remember this game AT ALL. if anyone who reads this was my round 5 opponent, please do remind me. I do know that I won this game.

4-2

Round 7: vs Erik D w/ secret deck (sorry he wants it to not be known)

I'm a little disappointed that I have to play against another friend this round, but that's just the way it goes some times. he opens shaymin to my decent start. he isn't able to attack for a couple turns as he keeps missing the energy he needs. after a while he starts taking prizes on my mewtwos with his own, but im down to 2 prizes and I catcher KO a mewtwo with mine for the win. GG Erik

5-2

Round 8: vs Alex B. w/ zekrom/eelektrik/mewtwo/zekrom ex/terrakion

My friend Chris played him in r7 and told me to watch out for the terrakion he played, which definitely helped because I forced myself to hold my resources so I could kill it w/ a pluspower bolt strike or zekrom EX. fortunately for me, he had to attach 1 of his 2 prisms to thundurus in order to attack, but he whiffed the catcher to KO my eelektrik, since my cleffa was asleep. he's able to get a couple KO's but I'm 2 shotting his zekrom ex/OHKOing his mewtwos, or catchering other stuff for prizes, and can never find his other prism, so I get the win.

6-2

against all odds I come back from 2-2 to win out, I sort my deck out and eventually find out I made it at 14th seed, playing against my friend alex M in t16. At this point I don't even care if I win or not, reason being is that the last 2 years I had whiffed cut at OR states either by a lot or a little bit, so I was simply happy to have shown that much improvement :)

Top 16: vs Alex M. w/ zekrom/zekrom ex/mewtwo/eels
game 1: I think he went first this game, I don't really remember much of it, but I was able to save resources and catch his tynamos/eels and 2hko zekrom ex with my own zekroms/ex. it came down really close (I think 2-1) and I was able to kill either a mewtwo or zekrom ex for my last 2 prizes w/ mewtwo.

game 2: I get an OK set up, double tynamo and cleffa, I think he had a t1 x ball w/ mewtwo this game. It got to the point where he had 2 prizes to my six, and I had super rod+tynamo+pokegear prized along w/ other stuff, so I scooped and we went on to game 3.

game 3: he started lone tynamo to my tynamo, cleffa, zekrom + dual balls and juniper. I hit 2 heads from the dual balls, grabbing mewtwo and cleffa. level ball for another tynamo, and juniper. I whiff the DCE for game, so I just attach a lightning to my zekrom and eeeeek. I get out an eel, get a lightning into the discard w/ sages I believe, and attach/dynamotor to my zekrom, and catcher a tynamo for the 1st prize. I do my best to save resources this game and try to keep it below 3 energy on my mewtwo if at all possible. I again comes down to 2-2 prizes. I sage into DCE and switch w/ a catcher in my hand, hoping to god he doesn't N me. I have a mewtwo on the bench w/ 1 energy, he has a mewtwo with 1 energy on the bench as well. he sends up a damaged zekrom EX with 1 energy, catchers an eel and passes. I have a powered zekrom on the bench already so I just switch and bolt strike for the game. Great games Alex :)

Top 8: vs/ Simon B w/ Zekrom/zekrom ex/mewtwo/eels/terrakion

Game 1: I start off ok but he's able to respond to my zekrom ex with terrakion (i whiffed the eviolite but had to start taking prizes), and after that he had control and I lost a not so close game 1.

Game 2: the opposite seemed to happen in game 3. I was able to start taking tynamo prizes with zekrom ex again but this time he was unable to find the response to it. after a little bit I was up 3-4 prizes and he scooped for time.

Game 3: I was really worried about this because I was going into a very tough game 3 going 2nd. one of my LEAST favorite positions to be in EVER. luckily we both get pretty even set ups, him catchering for prizes, me 2hkoing his ex's/ ohko mewtwos. it gets down to 2-2 prizes. he catchers an eelektrik with a zekrom ex active, 4 energy on it. I have a benched mewtwo w/ 2 energy, a DCE in hand and a junk arm for switch if he doesn't KO me. when he goes to attack he announces glistening claw instead of strong volt by mistake. this ended up losing him the game unfortunately because I was able to attach the DCE to mewtwo, dynamotor to it, junk arm for switch and x ball for 180 and the game. GG simon, and I really do hope there are no hard feelings man.

I found out that I'm getting my rematch against Polo in top 4. I'm a little bit disappointed because I would have rather played the durant player, as I'm very confident with that match up, but getting a bit of revenge for the round 4 donk wouldn't be so bad either ;P

Top 4: vs Polo L w/ CMT

Game 1: I start average and he starts fairly well if I remember correctly. but I use up too many resources and he gets a somewhat close game 1

Game 2: I start cleffa, tynamo, zekrom, going 1st. I dual ball for another tynamo, attach an energy to zekrom, and juniper a few energy away, I think hitting a level ball or something, but I just eeeek'd it away to save resources. on his turn he has celebi active w/ a benched tornadus. he dual balls for a regigigas ex and attaches a grass energy on it, forgetting to announce forest breath. he PONT's and goes to attach a DCE to the regigigas, but I, along with the judge inform him that he has attached for turn, since he didn't announce the power. luckily this was not a mistake he made for the rest of the match. he passes. I go, evolve to eel, attach energy and eviolite to zekrom, dynamotor to it, catcher the gigas and then I believe I oak, instead of juniper'ing to discard a bunch of supporters. I believe in this game I get up quite a few prizes, running hot with dual ball, tanking behind zekrom ex and KOing his mewtwos. it gets to the point where its 2-1 my favor, and he sets up a KO on an eel or a zekrom and N's me to 1. the card I draw is a juniper, and the card I get for turn is a lightning or something like that. I draw into DCE, attach to my benched mewtwo, double dynamotor, switch and KO is active damaged regigigas for game.

I think I have games 1 and 2 mixed up, so if anyone who was watching remembers, or if you end up reading this Polo, just let me know :)

Game 3: In this game I run really hot with dual ball and getting out attackers on t2. He seems to not be drawing into anything that he can use. I believe he drew+passed 3-4 times, just catchering my eels to stall until he can draw into something. i get down to 1 prize with him having 6 remaining and time is called. I simply scoops since he has no way of taking that many prizes in 3 turns.

Great games Polo, they were a lot of fun and I enjoyed meeting you :)

FINALS: vs Chris S. w/ zekrom/zekrom ex/mewtwo/eels/thundurus
Tyler Ninomoura and Chris Fulop were there doing featured matches for Tyler and Isaiah Middleton's super awesome youtube channel "Fried Chicken N Rice" so the finals got to be recorded. Chris and I were so psyched to be on video, and finally ensuring that an Oregon player will get OR states this year. (last year a WA guy got it and a canadian got it the year before that).

Game 1: Chris wins the flip and goes first starting zekrom EX with a benched cleffa. He collectors for a tynamo, looks through his deck a couple times and finds out that he has 2 of his 3 tynamo prized. so he gets 1 tynamo, a thundurus and a zekrom. He switches to cleffa and eeeeks. In my hand I have dual ball, catcher, DCE and a PONT, with a mewtwo active and a tynamo on the bench. I dual ball getting another tynamo, level ball for a cleffa, attach the DCE, catcher the tynam, and PONT into a t2 eel but I don't remember if I was able to get energy in the discard with that hand. I ko the tynamo, chris sends up his cleffa. He looks at his hand, thinks about it for a second and scoops, knowing that there simply is no way he can win game 1 with 2 tynamo's prized.

Game 2: we both get average starts IIRC, me getting a t2 bolt strike to his thundurus, him being able to set up more eels for later. I think he attacks me with zekrom ex, which I then bolt strike, knowing he KO's me next turn. I respond with my own zekrom ex, and he catcher kills an eel I think. It gets down to 3-4, I KO his mewtwo with my Own, taking it down to 2-3 my favor. from my prizes I got my other mewtwo, so right now I'm hoping that he doesn't have the N to put my hand down to 2. he sets up the response mewtwo, but since he didn't have the plus power he had to attach 3 energy to it since mine only had 2. he pokegears for juniper *this is where I pretty much knew I had it* and then he x balls' for the KO, putting him down to 1 prize. I simply draw, drop the mewtwo, double dynamotor and x ball for the KO and the win! great games chris, sorry about 2 tynamo's being prized in game 1. You did exceptionally well also, making it to finals :D

Now I officially am the 2012 OREGON STATE CHAMPION. WOOOOOOOOO.

went to denny's at 1 am with ben, lindsey and some washington people afterwards and then from my box I pulled a mewtwo ex and a full art mewtwo ex! :D

Props:
All of my friends from Oregon and Washington who were there with good wishes and support during top cut.
Kevin X-0'ing swiss likeabaus
Once again, the ABSOLUTELY MOST AMAZINGLY EXCELLENT STAFF EVER for putting on another smooth tournament, that only the North West can provide :)
Ian for having the same shirt as me :p
Pulling mewtwo's
Nicole for being able to hold her pen upright
Amelia and Polo for doing great as well. If you two weren't as great as you are, I probably wouldn't have made t16 in the first place!

THE THUNDER GYM -- TEAM TAD -- TEAM OR-EE-GON

and duh winning.

slops:
being tired afterwards

thanks for reading!

Last edited:
Thanks :) no I won't be going to BC (no passport, so I probably won't be going to the regionals there either), but I will be at WA states.

You can thank Amelia, Polo and the other people you beat to get you there into the cut. Congratulations Jacob. See you WA states.

Back