Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Japanese Deck - is it improved this way?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gengar ex

I thought a while about how to improve the japanese Electrode ex/Delcatty-deck posted in the News section.Here are some things I think of as improvements.

1. Mt. Moon totally shuts this deck down, so you need a countergym. I added Desert Ruins, not because it´s that good, but because there is nothing else.

2. Just countergyms don´t suffice. If Mt. Moon is out, you won´t draw into them. So you need other drawing besides Delcatty. TV Reporter is its exact counterpart in Trainer form, so I added some.

3. Most important one, in fact two points connected with each other:
- Everything is Fighting weakness. Magma´s Groudon and Dark Tyrannitar will shred through it.
- Delcatty isn´t that good as an attacker. It´s a nice backup, especially against Dark Heart and Ray ex. But if it´s gone, all energies are gone, too. Quite bad.

Gorebyss is nice in this deck as it solves those problems somehow. If it´s KOed, another Gorebyss is probably ready. If that´s KOed Delcatty will attack.

So, here are my changes:

Pokémon (20)

3x Clamperl HL
3x Gorebyss HL
2x Voltorb HL
2x Electrode ex FRLG
3x Skitty RS
3x Delcatty RS
4x Dunsparce SS

Energy (23)

3x Multi
4x Scramble
2x Boost
1x Water
1x Lightning
3x Double Rainbow
8x Psychic
1x Rainbow

Trainer (17)

3x Celios Network
3x Rockets Admin
2x Master Ball
1x VS Seeker
3x Pow! Hand Extension
3x TV Reporter
2x Desert Ruins

Are those changes improvements? And can you think of other ones?

Have you tried the original version?
The KEY is SPEED!
Your deck lacks speed. At least its not as fast as the original v.
The point is to have 4 Delcatties ASAP.

You wouldnt be that ehh. not smart to put ALL your energies on ONE delcatty, would you?
Just put 3 Scrambles on one and the rest on other one.

3 Scramble on one, rest on another? Seems as it would do not enough damage... 90 just doesn´t suffice nowadays imo. The original variant worked quite fast for me, but it lacked big damage OR recovery depending on how you attach the energy. BTW, this deck is still quite fast (Turn 3-4 you should be attaching for 100-150 to anyone(Pow)). You just have to SAR twice some times. 4 Delcatty aren´t needed to be fast, 2 in Turn are some nice, too. And to get those, how was the original version that much better? 4 Celio in both, MasterBall aren´t that good after my testing and Pokéball are on Flip. As said above, a Mt. Moon Turn1 or Turn2 is almost game with the original version. Doesn´t seem that good....

Btw , about the Decklist@GengarEX: I´d still play 4 Celio...

Last edited:
Do you really think that this was the only version playing at Spring road conference? And it won. Why SAR twice? one SAR for skitty, skitty, torb then ebvolve to catty, catty, trode lay down other skitties for 4 delcatty turn 3 and potentional 160 Damage. Why Big damage? Turn 2-3 there will very unlikely be something with more than 100 HP (Pidgeot). I prefer it the original way, simply that I trust japanese players that they have tested all varinats and this proved to be the best.

@Dld4a: Sorry, Magneton only gets you back basic energies... So, I think, it isn´t worth it here....
About the Swoop Thing: Yes I thought about it, too.. Sounds nice: Dunsparce with Psychic/Multi/Rainbow --> Clamperl, evolve to Gorebyss second Turn, Attach. I´d probably try this one, it also helps me to get the needed two Skitty... About the Cut in the Gorebyss Line to get this space, I´m not that sure about this.. Perhaps some energy... 23 is even with high dependance on Catty pretty much.
@Metagross: The 2nd SAR is needed here if you don´t have another basic besides ´Sparce Turn 2, because 2 Catty are a must. But that´s a rather rare occassion... Besides it doesn´t cost you much speed, because you can still start dealing major damage Turn 3.
And I don´t know if the Japanese tried this one, I don´t even know if it´s better than the original, although I think so at the moment, but I don´t think it´good to say: "Oh the Japanese must have tested all variants, so let us not test anything else" - Perhaps they have a pretty different metagame? Perhaps they really didn´t test this one? Perhaps it was played, but not that often, so this one had a higher chance to make the Finals? Perhaps the Top 8 something like 6 times this version? Or perhaps the original is much better. Each version possible, more or less probable. But it´s just not good to trust on the Japanese Testing and therefore not test anything yourself. At least IMO. And please don´t take this as an offense it´s not meant that way.

This is weird, because I though of an idea a lot like this a few days ago. The excellent thing about Gorebyss is that you don't have to have all the energy on the attacking Pokemon to do damage, but I honestly think you're better off playing neither Electrode ex/Delcatty nor Gorebyss/Electrode ex/Delcatty in an American metagame, where it's all about non-ex Pokemon, the top two decks being Dragtrode and Rock-Lock.

I tested the Gorebyss version anyway, but it was just too slow. I'm recommend playing Delcatty and Electrode ex on their own. I do agree that you need at least a couple gyms, but I wouldn't play VS Seeker. Seriously, it's an awful card. You should just include one more copy of the supporter of your choice (I'd max on Reporter or Admin, probably both, actually), so you don't get stuck early on with a VS Seeker in your hand and no supporters in your discard.

Good luck.

I think it is just me but I don't understand the combo with Electrode Ex Delcatty?
Please Explain
I understand the whole speed knockout Zap-Turn-Dos style but Scrambles and Boost why?

Last edited:
It doesn't look to great. Lol And I most likly just Jnyxed myself now if i go to worlds this year I will lose to this deck.

Last edited:
Once you ko electrode ex with its power, in additional to being behind in prize cards, you can attach 5 energy cards from your discard pile to your pokemon. The discarded energy comes from delcatty's draw power. That way you can attach scrambled and boost in any combination you like and deal massive damage. Since you're behind in prize cards, you can make use of POW and rocket admin. I tried a similar idea with gengar ex last year when the Japanese gengar ex came out. Of course scrambled and POW weren't released back then. :)

Last edited:
Why boost? Gorebyss says "Does 20 damage plus 10 more damage for each PSY energy in play.

oh... it's for delcatty, sorry :p

Last edited:
@SuperWooper: I´d also not play the VS Seeker, especially in this deck, where you are so low on Supporters anyway. But I´d rather change it to the 4th Celio. Early Catty is important.
About the Metagame-thing: Neither me nor my friend who started this thread play this American Metagame. Whereas Dragtrode is played in Southern Germany, you see almost no Rock Lock. That´d be very hard to beat, I agree, even more, because all the DRE+Scramble get lost just by one ATM. Dragtrode isn´t easy but you can beat it. I´d say it´s about 45-55. You "just" have to be really fast and start Knocking-Out, before a 2nd DDnite is in play. So you can pow any try to get it. And without DDnite it´s not that hard. Another advantage is, also generally an advantage, that some opponents don´t know this deck, so they don´t know to play against and f.e. lay down their EX´s in Dark Heart.
The Boost is nice sometimes Catty although I don´t know if the 2nd is really needed, perhaps one would suffice.

If your worried about fighting weakness in things of that sort, play Metwo Ex. Its just as fast and a consistent 60 is not bad, 120 to pychic is good. When R/S first came out and 60 dmg was a huge deal for 3 energy, I ran a Delcatty/Mewtwo Ex deck. I called it Psycho Speed. What about when your up prizes you probably won't be doing that much damage anymore. Also turn two 60 isn't bad as a support attack, and on average Gorebyss only does 50-70 a turn.

-18-
4 Dunsparce
4 Skitty
4 Delcatty
2 Voltorb
2 Electrode Ex
2 Mewtwo Ex

Energy -18-
4 Scramble
4 Boost
3 Electric
7 Psychic
That should keep the deck running.

Trainers -24-
4 Cleio's
4 Rockets Admin
3 Master Ball
4 Pow! Hand Extension
3 TV Reporter
3 Ancient Tomb
3 ??????

Trainers needed more beef. Maybe an ERS would help.

By the time worlds are here, I dont think that Rock Lock will be as much of a factor b/c of the way the the two Milotic own it sooo badly.

@ Cross Fire88 : Sure Mewtwo ex is a good idea, but why Gorebyss only does 50-70 damage a turn? If you use Electrodes Power you can do many more damage. For example you take 2 Scramble, 2 DRE and a Psycho and you play them to Delcatty, Gorebyss already does 110 damage more, so you can kill everything and if you draw more prices then your oppenent and Scramble loses his ability, you do at least 50 damage more and that should be enough.

...you don't play decks that lose directly to rocklock. adding ANOTHER CRAPPY LIGHT/FIGHT weak poke that has 70 HP is a bad move. opps. ;xx

@CrossFire88: Oh, I´m not that worried about this weakness. It´s just the fact that if I´d play it the original way, even an average Fighting deck would have good chances and against a good player with some good fighting (f.e. Magma), I´d lose almost every match (and even that is not the main reason for adding Gorebyss, the "not all the energy needs to be attached to the active"-reason is superior in this case). And 10-90-matchups are something I don´t like, if it´s not just a deck but a type. If it´s a deck, then I only avoid it if this deck is played. And that leads to:
@DarkJake: If you had read this thread, not just the list, you´d know I play in Metagame with almost no Rock Lock (k, the whole weaknees-reason seemed else in the first post, so I understand why you concluded me or GengarEX would fear it.) So why should I fear it?
@CrossFire88 again: About the not-much damage thing. Well I absolutely don´t agree. In fact, in such a deck, ´Byss is one of the best damage-dealers I can imagine in this TCG. Like Gengar EX said, just one Trode without having played any other energy would suffice for some nice 100-120. And while you have a point about Scramble losing its ability, I think that there are two things which invalidate (not sure about the right word here..) you point:
At first, you can lay down something in those two turns. So you´ll probably do around 80 after Scramble is gone. And the second point is that 80 suffices often right after Scramble loses it´s 3-Energy-Ability: If you just drew 2 prizes, your opponent drew none (if they drew some, Scramble activates right back), and you were able to gust up the real threats, it´s not really supposable they´ll send another 100-HP-powered-up-Pkmn in the fight.

Last edited:
tolotos said:
@Dld4a: Sorry, Magneton only gets you back basic energies... So, I think, it isn´t worth it here....
About the Swoop Thing: Yes I thought about it, too.. Sounds nice: Dunsparce with Psychic/Multi/Rainbow --> Clamperl, evolve to Gorebyss second Turn, Attach. I´d probably try this one, it also helps me to get the needed two Skitty... About the Cut in the Gorebyss Line to get this space, I´m not that sure about this.. Perhaps some energy... 23 is even with high dependance on Catty pretty much.
@Metagross: The 2nd SAR is needed here if you don´t have another basic besides ´Sparce Turn 2, because 2 Catty are a must. But that´s a rather rare occassion... Besides it doesn´t cost you much speed, because you can still start dealing major damage Turn 3.
And I don´t know if the Japanese tried this one, I don´t even know if it´s better than the original, although I think so at the moment, but I don´t think it´good to say: "Oh the Japanese must have tested all variants, so let us not test anything else" - Perhaps they have a pretty different metagame? Perhaps they really didn´t test this one? Perhaps it was played, but not that often, so this one had a higher chance to make the Finals? Perhaps the Top 8 something like 6 times this version? Or perhaps the original is much better. Each version possible, more or less probable. But it´s just not good to trust on the Japanese Testing and therefore not test anything yourself. At least IMO. And please don´t take this as an offense it´s not meant that way.

I was sugesting Magnaton as an attacker not for the power/double your weakness attackers. But I do sometimes try to get a deck to do too much. [edit]I always forget Trode EX is a nice attacker too. Nevermind.[/edit]

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back