Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

JPN Gallade's IL States Seniors Report

JPN Gallade

Report by: JPN Gallade (a.k.a Karol Nowak)
Deck: Gyarados
Event: States
Format: Modified (DP-on)

I have been making quite some preparations for states. I remember having two decks that I was thinking about for the big day. The choice was between Luxchomp or Gyarados. Luxchomp was because it was an SP deck, and I'm quite used to playing SPs. I kind of liked the strategy of the deck, especially when using Luxray and Garchomp to make quite some easy KOs. At the same time, I was also interested in yet another deck: Gyarados. When I first tried it, I adapted to its strategy very fast. In fact, I was eventually quite attached to the deck, and it made me most comfortable playing. I then decided to play Gyarados because of this. It was like a usual Gyarados with usual cards like Sableye and Regice, but it also had some uniqueness. I ran 2 Crobat Gs with 4 Poketurns to increase damage (as well as Expert Belt); I also ran a 1-1 Luxray GL line as tech in a Gust of Wind like fashion; you know, as if I were to want to KO something like a Claydol. Warp Energies were also in there to help me achieve the Bright Looking strategy. I also ran 1 Relincanth SV as a Luxray counter. Also, I did practice against Luxchomps and Cursegars several times before states since I heard that these decks counter Gyarados, and I want to at least have an experience on what to do when I face them.

So, it's March 20, the big day. That day would be Illinois States 2010. Both Dad and I had our decklists and decks ready, so we go and have our decks checked, and then we are done. I decide to go around to see what others are playing, as I usually do on a day of a big tournament.

Now as for the metagame there, there were tons and tons and tons of Luxchomps. I'm like, "Wow, first I remember in Huntley that everyone was playing Gengar, and now it's Luxchomp?" Well, I wasn't really surprised because I knew that deck would be popular. Surprisingly, there were not a lot of Cursegars as I thought. Also, there was virtually almost no Plox decks, which was another shock. Another deck that I was seeing a lot was Blazeray. Looks like people still want to get Dialga/Garchomp don't they? Indeed, I think, "Well, Blazeray still remains popular that's for sure."

Eventually, the tournament would start. I go to my table for my first match, and then I hear that there are 6 rounds and a Top 8 for both juniors and seniors, and there are 7 rounds and a top 16 for masters. Seriously, a top 8 for seniors? I really hoped that there would be a top 16 for seniors, so I was a bit dissapointed. We were also given the states dice, and we are told that they have to be our randomizers. That also stinks, but oh well. Now let's get to the tournament shall we?

Round 1: Nick D (Donphan/Manectric with Hippowdon Lv.X tech)

So, here's the first match, and it was very close. I start with Regice with Magikarp on the bench, and he starts with a Phanphy from Secret Wonders. I chose to start with Regice just in case of a donk. I begin, and I can't do much so I pass. He also goes and does nothing much and lets me go. Eventually, we both would get out our respective strategies and then the game would go fierce quite fast. Gyarados helps me pull off several KOs, many of which are Donphan, and he also has Manectric PT with a Bench Shield, thus making Earthquake not so damaging to himself. Eventually after some fierce action, he pulls out a Hippowdon. I began to think, "What's he going to do with that." Eventually, he uses it very well, and it caught me off guard. He brings Hippowdon active and levels up to Hippowdon Lv.X and uses Sand Reset. I make a misplay and shuffle my hand into my deck because I thought that the hand kind of counts as being in play, and both my opponent and I don't see this. However, despite this, I eventually manage to recover quite fast. In fact, after He KOs my Gyarados after the Sand Reset, I manage to bring yet another Gyarados to his dismay. I KO his Donphan Prime and take two prizes because of Expert Belt on the Donphan.

Now it is down to 1 prize card from each side. I think I have the game at this point, but he apparently was well prepared. He plays Warp Point, and here I am thinking what Pokemon from my bench I should bring out. He sees this and shows me a :fighting: energy from his hand and says, "Will this conclude your decision?" I could tell what he was going to do. He was going to attach that energy to his Donphan Prime, who already had two :fighting: energies, on the bench and bring it out to knock out any Pokemon on my bench. Since I realize there is nothing that can withstand 90 damage on my bench, I am forced to switch out Gyarados and bring something out, and then he does 90 to it and wins the game. Overall, very close and good game.

0/1

Round 2: Kevin K (Mirror Match: Gyarados)

Here is yet another close and very good game. Both of us had not the best starts. However, if you ask me, I was the one that had the better start than he did. Indeed, throughout most of the match, I really did have the upper hand compared to him. Of course, like the last game, this game was fierce. In fact, one funny thing that happened within this match was that I managed to KO his weakened Gyarados for 40 from my Sableye. Another thing that made this game epic was that neither of us were drawing a BTS early, and this means that it was pretty hard to recover a Gyarados.

Like the last match, we are down to 1 prize card. I use Luxray GL to bring out his Regice in order to slow him down a bit, but he, like the last opponent I faced, was well prepared. He used a Warp Energy on his Regice to bring it back to the bench, ruining my chance to slow him down, and then he brings out Gyarados from his bench. Around this point, I really don't have the best draw, not drawing the cards I need to really win now that much of my drawing cards have been used up, and now I'm hoping he doesn't use a second Warp Energy. Sadly, he does. He attaches another Warp Energy to his Gyarados, brings out Luxray GL, levels up and Bright Looks my Combee (yeah, I forget to mention that coincidentally, he runs a Luxray GL tech like I do), retreats and brings out Gyarados and knocks it out. Oh well, very good game too. It was also quite close.

0/2

Round 3: Tyler B (Dialga/Garchomp)

Looks like this is another match that comes down to being pretty close, as well as being a very good match. Unlike the last match though, both of us had quite some good starts. For once also, I start with Sableye with a Magikarp on the bench. I instantly take advantage at the start and use Impersonate to bring out a Pokemon Collector and then bring out 3 more Magikarps. He then takes quite some good advantage also and uses Crobat G to KO my Magikarp. Sableye still stays fine however. I luckily have more Magikarps, so I easily put one down, and it is also at least good he KOed one Magikarp because this means I already have a Magikarp just in case of Gyarados. Luckily, I get to Gyarados and most of the time, I manage to KO his Honchkrow Gs. He also uses Power Spray a lot early game in order to disrupt as much as possible, as well as attacking with Dialga G. Eventually, he has a big lead at 3-6, but I manage to catch up quite nicely. Gyarados eventually manages to get an Expert Belt on it. With the very help of the belt, I manage to catch up very well.

Now it is down to about 3 prizes from both sides, but if you ask, the 3 prizes from both sides really felt like 1 prize card from each side left. With yet another close match environment happening, he gets lucky enough to level up to a Garchomp C Lv.X, which already had 2 DCEs and an Energy Gain. He just simply got lucky. He KOs my Gyarados first and takes two prizes because of an Expert Belt on my Gyarados, and then he KOs another Pokemon of mine and takes the last prize. Good Game I must say.

0/3

Yes I know, this is quite a bad way to start a tournament so far, and I was so down about it that I felt like dropping, but I soon learn that dropping really decreases your rankings, so I choose to stay. It turns out I made quite a good choice because I would make quite a comeback, or maybe I should say it in a better way. I would literally "Rise up from the ashes" as it would seem.

Round 4: Bye

Yes, that's right. I got a bye this round. I am glad I got one because I really needed a win.

1/3

Round 5: Ethan B (Random Grass Deck)

If you ask me, I really had, as it seemed, an awesome start. He starts with Yanma and I start with Sableye (Hooray for Sableye!). Thanks to Sableye, I manage to have quite a nice way of starting the game. I grab a Pokemon Collector and bring out some basics. He also does some play as well. Eventually, I manage to bring out a fully setted up Gyarados with 3 Magikarps in the discard. At the same time, he is also setting up his Shaymin to let it attack, so now things became quite critical. I begin to fear he is going to bring out Shaymin Lv.X with 3 energies and do lots of damage with its attack. Then, however, I get quite lucky. I draw a Warp Energy and I attach it to Gyarados, bring out Luxray GL, level up to Luxray GL Lv.X and Bright Look his Shaymin he was settting up, retreat, then pull out Gyarados with an Expert Belt (I don't exactly remember, but I'm pretty sure my Gyarados did have one) and KO his Shaymin. From this point, I held a real big upper hand. He just simply brings out his Turtwigs at this point, which all easily go down to my fully setted up Gyarados. Since he really can't do much now, he brings out an Eevee and puts an Expert Belt on it and brings it out. I KO the Eevee and take my last two prize cards and win the match.

2/3

Round 6: Ben R (Garchomp Toolbox)

So, this is the final round, and I get to face an interesting deck. That deck would be Garchomp Toolbox. It's like Luxbox, but there's Garchomp C instead of Luxray GL. I originally that this would be quite an odd deck, but indeed, it turns out to be pretty good. I soon realize later that the deck I faced must have most likely been the deck that won Florida States: Garchomp/Honchkrow/Sableye, or really I should say, Garchbox. Too bad I didn't face the Sableye or Honchkrow though. =/

So I start with Luxray GL to my dismay and he starts with Garchomp C. Despite my not expected start, I manage to bring out a Magikarp that would become a Gyarados quite fast. Like me, he would also have his good play too. Primarily, he used Azelfs and Uxies a lot in the beginning. We both would eventually make good set ups to let us have a good match. He manages to get to Garchomp C Lv.X quite fast and knocks out 2 of my Pokemon. I, however, manage to recover very fast, and from this point, I was holding the upper hand. I KO his Garchomp C Lv.X with a fresh Gyarados with the help of an Expert Belt. I then begin to use Regice quite a lot too. Most of the time, he would be bringing out Uxies and Azelfs from Regi Move, and they all easily go down. I manage to easily KO a Skuntank G as well through Regi Move. Unlike the match against Dialga/Garchomp though, he really doesn't use Power Sprays a lot. Eventually, he really had no chance against me so he scoops and I win the game. Still, this was the best match I had in the entire tournament. Very good game Ben!

3/3

Now the tournament is complete for seniors. I wait for my dad to finish round 7 from the masters and decide to watch the top cut matches from seniors. Of course, eventually, the results would come up. I came in 30th place. Yes I know, that's not the best, but there lots of seniors this tournament that came 3-3 too. I then soon find out that JWitts from Profit also came in 30th place, but from the masters division. Isn't this a coincidence! We both came in 30th place from our divisions! How cool is that!

Props:

Getting 3 Pokemon Battrio Chips (1 Piplup, 1 Arceus, 1 Cherrim): they became good luck charms for me
Having lots of good matches
Getting the States Dice
Both JWitts and I coming in 30th place from our divisions.
Many TCG friends came

Slops:

Snowy and foggy weather on the way to states
Every game I lost in were very close
Tournament had no real lunch break
Being forced to use the States Dice as a randomizer
A cheater from the senior division that many TCG friends were telling me about that cheated all 6 rounds (yeah, I feel sorry to those who faced him, and if I faced him in Regionals, I would call for a judge right away, and I'm at least glad that I didn't face him in states)

Well, quite a comeback as you see, primarily jumping from 0-3 to 3-3. Like I said, all matches that I lost were very close, further meaning I was very close to winning some of them, but overall, I felt like I did a very nice job in this tournament. Well then, now that states is over, it looks it is time that I should be getting ready for Regionals. See you all at Wisconsin Regionals!:thumb:

Last edited:
I know the feeling of misjudging a meta - I went to States this year expecting CurseGar and Gyarados. I teched my Plox for them, then when I got down there all there was was LuxChomp and a couple of Jumpluff decks.

Nice job, some really nice plays by the looks of things, nice report :smile:

I know the feeling of misjudging a meta - I went to States this year expecting CurseGar and Gyarados. I teched my Plox for them, then when I got down there all there was was LuxChomp and a couple of Jumpluff decks.

Nice job, some really nice plays by the looks of things, nice report :smile:

Hey, there were only 2 Luxchomp (me and Donez). I thought the meta was pretty diverse (Raybees, Plox, Gatr, Turtwig Toolbox, Pluff, Gengar, some other stuff). I think Cursegar and Dos had been teched out of the metagame in the States before Leeds.

Anyways, to the OP . . .

Really good detailed report. You have a great memory for games and that will help you improve as a player. Kudos for not dropping and playing it out to break even on the day.

Hey, there were only 2 Luxchomp (me and Donez). I thought the meta was pretty diverse (Raybees, Plox, Gatr, Turtwig Toolbox, Pluff, Gengar, some other stuff). I think Cursegar and Dos had been teched out of the metagame in the States before Leeds.

Really? I thought more people were using LuxChomp, and I didn't notice any twig, plox (other than mine), RayBees or Gatr. I probably just don't pay enough attention.

Misjudging the Meta? Dude, Gyrados won that event in Seniors!

He had the right deck, just the wrong Techs!!!

Techs = losses if not used right.

Vince

Misjudging the Meta? Dude, Gyrados won that event in Seniors!

He had the right deck, just the wrong Techs!!!

Techs = losses if not used right.

Vince

Thus Rob's theory that you shouldn't tech in a bunch of garbage to try and beat matchups that are probably unwinnable anyway. In many decks, especially in the lower age divisions, a consistent, straightforward list with one or no techs can be the best thing.

As to the OP... nice job! I think I saw you there... was your dad by any chance playing Flygon/Rhyperior, or am I thinking of someone else? Better luck record-wise next time... I went 3-4, also somewhat less than a great performance.

Hope to see you at regionals and/or nationals.

Really? I thought more people were using LuxChomp, and I didn't notice any twig, plox (other than mine), RayBees or Gatr. I probably just don't pay enough attention.

I garuntee there were more LuxChomp than that. I was there, so I walked around for a while and saw several! (Plus that 3rd Round was against me! :lol: )

No, I am the dad, and I was playing Gardelade...poorly.

Cost myself at least 2 games, and went 3-3 before giving it up.

Techs will pull you out of holes, and they will lose you games.

Balance young Jedi...learn balance.

V

Thus Rob's theory that you shouldn't tech in a bunch of garbage to try and beat matchups that are probably unwinnable anyway. In many decks, especially in the lower age divisions, a consistent, straightforward list with one or no techs can be the best thing.

As to the OP... nice job! I think I saw you there... was your dad by any chance playing Flygon/Rhyperior, or am I thinking of someone else? Better luck record-wise next time... I went 3-4, also somewhat less than a great performance.

Hope to see you at regionals and/or nationals.

^Now to make several responses to this.

My dad in this tournament played Flygon/Donphan. You were close though. There was Flygon, but no Rhyperior. It was Donphan with Flygon, basically your average Flyphan, focusing on both Flygon and Donphan as attackers.

Now about the techs. Relincanth can be reliable because of how Luxchomp is popular in this format, even though there's also the other solutions for countering Luxray decks like running more Gyarados, run more expert belts, mankey, or Donphan. Crobat G obviously, in my opinion, is much easier to use compared to Pluspowers. I found Luxray to be really convenient in this deck as well, even though there's Pokemon Reversal too. Since I seen Spiritomb become more popular recently, I thought Luxray would fit for me.

Well, I could still take that kind of advice (of Rob's Theory). I'll need to think about the tech thing, but Relincanth for one is definitely understandable since Luxchomp has become a winning deck.

EDIT: Oh, and also, I will likely be in WI Regionals. Even though there could be a chance I may not, at this rate, it seems that I have a very good chance of going to Regionals this year. I will also likely go to nats as well.

Back