Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

KabuStar~A Fossil Deck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lancun

After stumbling across a decklist awhile back, I was surprised at how well Fossil Pokemon actually worked. So surprised in fact, that they usually don't require consistency cards, as Omanyte and Kabuto are both supported by the Aqua and Rock Reaction Poke-Bodies. I'm hoping to get a second opinion, and while Fossil isn't necessarily rogue, it's certainly always been one of the least-explored options that I think has some potential. Below is the current list I'm testing out.

Pokemon: 17
3-3 Omastar (both have a 2/1 spread of AR/MD.)
3-3 Kabutops (same as Omastar)
3 Aerodactyl (again, a 2/1 spread of Arceus/Majestic Dawn)
1 Regice
1 Uxie

T/S/S: 29
4 Dome Fossil
4 Helix Fossil
4 Old Amber
4 Fossil Excavator
2 Seeker
1 VS Seeker
4 BTS
2 Switch
2 Expert Belt
2 Interviewer's Questions

Energy: 14
6 Water
8 Fighting

I think the biggest problem that this deck faces is Trainer-Lock and DialgaChomp. It has the quick, and very unique set-up by using Aqua and Rock Reactions to get the quick evolutions (helped by using Interviewer's to bring those energies to my hand), then I usually use Kabuto AR to set up the next turn's evolutions. Obviously, Vilegar really hurts this deck by not allowing you to play anymore fossils from your hand as basics, but what's really nice about this is that it's not GG like donk decks are.

The reason the single MD versions of Kabuto and Omanyte are there is because they can search out those Fossils from my deck or Discard Pile and actually force them into play without bringing them to my hand. Omastar is particularly nice because I can de-evolve their benched Vileplume with Primal Swirl's Power, or if I want to destroy a damaged Gengar without risking Fainting Spell, Time Spiral is a viable option as well.

I've been trying to find a way to get a Rampardos PL line in here somewhere as a late-game wrecker (1 for 100 with an Expert Belt is no joke). But as it is, the deck is certainly no slouch in power. Kabutops functions as a great early-game attacker with 70 for one with a Fossil Discard, which inevitably feeds the late-game attacker that is Omastar (30+10 for each Fossil in the Discard Pile) I know that a lot of you probably aren't that familiar with a Fossil deck, but I really think it has potential. They all have a great weakness of Grass, one of the least-common attacking types in the metagame, and Omastar and Kabutops both have a decent HP of 110-120, which tends to be just out of the damage range of an OHKO of SP.

I'm also debating whether 4 BTS is the right play, or if I should switch to a mix of it and Rare Candy to give a quicker start to Kabutops.

It also has a decent, standalone engine with Underground Excavation and the fossil Pokemon searching out evolutions and other fossils. I do think Bebe's would help in case I do need to search out the lone Uxie, but the nice thing about this deck is how self-sustained it is because of said engine. Anyways, I do hope I get some decent feedback and thoughts about how the deck could improve.

You're gonna need some Bebe's Search if you want to be sure to at least get a Regice when necessary. Don't think that the Majestic Dawn Kabutops is necessary because of potential healers. And it'll eat up Energy.

Broken Time-space is even more of a double-edged sword in this deck when facing anything with UD Vileplume. So use it with caution if you're not using Rare Candy.

Makes me want to bring out my old Fossil deck...

Last edited:
You're gonna need some Bebe's Search if you want to be sure to at least get a Regice when necessary. Don't think that the Majestic Dawn Kabutops is necessary because of potential healers. And it'll eat up Energy.

Broken Time-space is even more of a double-edged sword in this deck when facing anything with UD Vileplume. So use it with caution if you're not using Rare Candy.

Makes me want to bring out my old Fossil deck...

I actually put BTS in because of possible threats of Trainer-Lock, it allows me to speedily evolve without BTS. Then again though, they're likely playing BTS too, so would you say that Rare Candy is the better play?

you need a starter. you can't start with a fossil since it isn't a basic. i would suggest 4 smeargle ud

Yes he can start with a fossil. At the beginning of the game when he draws seven if he has a fossil in his hand and no basic pokemon he HAS TO start with it.

I actually put BTS in because of possible threats of Trainer-Lock, it allows me to speedily evolve without BTS. Then again though, they're likely playing BTS too, so would you say that Rare Candy is the better play?
Hm, now that I think more about it, using BTS may be more preferable, but of course it's best to use it when you can quickly get a full line out. If you were to ever use Rare Candy, maybe only two if you can fit them in.

Is it hard for you to get Energy? I think you'll need Double Colorless Energy so you can easily use Kabutops' second attack. I only ask because you could try removing the Interviewer's Questions and see how that works for you. Never know when those Fossil cards suddenly start avoiding your hand and you're suddenly hitting for 20-40. And can't be wasting Energy paying for Rock Slide.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back