Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Kabutops HP

Status
Not open for further replies.

PunkMonkey

Ok, here's the situation... I play with a HP Kabutops as my active. Let's say I have some type of Rainbow energy attached to him, whether it be a Holon's Electrode or a Multi or something. Let's also say that the other energy requirements are fulfilled to perform Thunderous Blow. "Does 40 damage plus 10 more damage for each Lightning Energy attached to Kabutops." Does the Rainbow energy that is attached count as Lightning energy, thus doing 10 more damage?

My thoughts go both ways with this one because the wording on the card isn't specific enough. Yes, the Rainbow energy can provide a lightning energy which is what the effect calls for, but it isn't necessarily a Lightning Energy card.

Please help. Thanks

UPDATE: Got the answer. Because the card says "...for each lightning energy attached", and not "...for each lighting energy CARD attached", the rainbow will allow for 10 more damage to be done.

Last edited:
Right answer, but kind of the wrong reason.

Lightning Energy and Lightning Energy card are almost the same thing...the only difference is something like Scramble Energy...it provides 3 Lightning Energy, but only counts as 1 Lightning Energy card.

If something refers to "a basic Lightning Energy card" (or perhaps "basic Lightning Energy", but we haven't used that to my knowledge)...it would refer to a non-Special Energy card.

One of the tricky parts to Special Energy cards, is that they usually don't produce Energy until they're in play. An effect like DS Dragonite's Delta Charge only picks up Lightning Energy from the discard...note, Rainbow Energy wouldn't be legit, because it doesn't provide Lightning Energy in the discard pile.

Hope this helps - if you have a follow-up question, that's totally fine.

PunkMonkey said:
UPDATE: Got the answer. Because the card says "...for each lightning energy attached", and not "...for each lighting energy CARD attached", the rainbow will allow for 10 more damage to be done.
And a double Rainbow (like a Holon's Electrode) will add 20 damage since it's providing 2 Lightning energy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back